Expiration date on ranks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:08 AM

With the secrecy people seem to value with some of the things on this site, it seems it would be negative to leave loose ends like inactive accounts that have access to private areas. Once someone has become that inactive, you never know what their loyalties are anymore or what they are using the site for if they do log back in.

* a board modification that keeps track of someone's last date logged in, and will automatically revoke any special privelages after a set amount of time
* varying lengths of time depending on the access of the position (i.e. 6 months for advanced member accounts, 2 months for programmer accounts, 1 month for leader/moderator accounts, or something like that)
* a vacation mode, where a user can submit a reason they will be gone and approximately for how long. An admin would have to approve the vacation mode and set a possible expiration date for the vacation mode
* the user posting would automatically disable the vacation mode

I just bring this up because I look at the member list and I see some retired members that have been inactive since last year, a mod that hasn't logged in for over a month and rarely posts, etc. etc... There should be some sort of incentive to at least log in once per month :p lol

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 17 April 2006 - 04:12 AM.

#2 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:03 AM

Psh, made these suggestions months ago, nothing happened.

I doubt much will happen again.

#3 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:05 AM

I agree that their should be some sort of decideing factor on the removal of special features from member. I really think everything should be based on a case by case situation though. Just setting a certain day for inactivity could end up being bad. Say for instance your an inactive mod and no one knows where you went to. Who is to say that their harddrive didn't crash and are unable to get a new one and are also unable to locate another computer for use. Their are many other situations that could occur so I dont really think a mod would fit this need.

#4 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:50 AM

That would be when you explain yourself. Its just a few clicks to give someone privileges.

I completely agree Brkn. I really wish something like this would be implemented.

#5 supatyson

supatyson
  • 1959 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

It should be implemented. There is no point having Mods that dont even visit the site, the job could be given to an active person, Keeps the board updated aswell. Good Idea Brkn.

#6 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

We never made a PHP Mod for this. Cuz we think issues like this require personal attention. We can never come to a conclusion about the person tho :(

#7 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:11 AM

-cough- Cript!

And Orange.

#8 Brad

Brad
  • How about a magic trick?

• 4565 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:31 AM

With the secrecy people seem to value with some of the things on this site, it seems it would be negative to leave loose ends like inactive accounts that have access to private areas. Once someone has become that inactive, you never know what their loyalties are anymore or what they are using the site for if they do log back in.

* a board modification that keeps track of someone's last date logged in, and will automatically revoke any special privelages after a set amount of time
* varying lengths of time depending on the access of the position (i.e. 6 months for advanced member accounts, 2 months for programmer accounts, 1 month for leader/moderator accounts, or something like that)
* a vacation mode, where a user can submit a reason they will be gone and approximately for how long. An admin would have to approve the vacation mode and set a possible expiration date for the vacation mode
* the user posting would automatically disable the vacation mode

I just bring this up because I look at the member list and I see some retired members that have been inactive since last year, a mod that hasn't logged in for over a month and rarely posts, etc. etc... There should be some sort of incentive to at least log in once per month :p lol

Brkn, I've had this planned for the last 5 months, I'm teaching myself to write board mods so I can actually do this, but there's lots of opposition.

#9 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:32 AM

I think the only rank that shouldn't apply is Retired because you really have to earn that

#10 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:35 AM

That's so retarded. Why would people oppose the demotion of inactive members? If they never come to codex then their will not be any difference.

#11 Guest_Analogue_*

Guest_Analogue_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:52 AM

well.. just because people are inactive... mmm... I honestly don't understand the security risks :S

Retired members have to be protected by IP security don't they? :S

#12 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:26 AM

-cough- Cript!

And Orange.

He didn't have to say mod and Cript first came to my mind. I always remember him back along time ago and he seemed to be the only one not here.

And I hope this goes to effect, demtion for inactives!, promotion for actives! :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users