Photo

Genesis

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#76 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

Okay then, bye. And no, you can't debate about something you don't believe in. What's the point? In the end you still won't believe in it, all your doing is wasting our time. If you ever decide to believe even an ounce of the Bible, come back and we'll debate again.

Luckily you don't get to decide who debates what around here. By your standard christians couldn't debate evolution and science. In the end they still won't believe it either. Sheesh.

#77 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

That's not true at all. You would be surprised at how many people I convert through debates. That includes Atheists (who believed in evolution) and alot of other different religions. And I didn't decide, you yourself said bye. Your just getting annoyed because im using your own words against you, mabye you shouldn't say them then, might help a bit :)

Yes, you're right. I certainly have embarrassed myself. Oh how I wish I could take back the words I said.
Are you American by any chance? I have heard that Americans often don't get sarcasm. Or maybe you're being facetious? You got me then! :)

Well, it's late here. I'm off to bed. I'll be back tomorrow, if the debate is still going.

Edited by snickpop, 28 April 2006 - 03:51 PM.

#78 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

You from the UK, snickpop? For most Americans, the British have a dry sense of humour, mainly because of the different styles. Conversion? You must have gone to some weird ass forums Alias.

#79 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

You would be surprised at how many people I convert through debates. That includes Atheists (who believed in evolution) and alot of other different religions.

You would be surprised how much you strengthened my belief in Christianity. Are you in debate in highschool? Do you go to like, a private religion run school? Your pretty good at this.

Snickpop, want to know whats difficult to read? People who have the quote tags in but its not quoted. Also, come back when you have something argument supporting your theory. I fricken hate that flying spahgetti monster because its 100% fake. It has no archeological backing as the Bible does.
With the Bible being so intertwined with events in history, wouldnt you be able to get some archeological find disproving something said or done in the bible?

#80 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

Well sadly my highschool doesn't have debate classes for freshman's, but I do plan on taking on my junior-senior year, since that's the only time they offer them. I have debates with alot of my friends though, even though it's alot easier in real life :p Most of my debate is on forums though. And I wish I could goto a private school, I'm stuck with some ghetto place where education is gold :lol:

Our highschool doesnt offer it for freshman either, but some typically get put in it. Since I was bored I checked out your profile, your a day older than me, dang. Ghetto place? Does that mean gangs are running around on your streets? :unsure:

#81 amyjia

amyjia
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

lol.. I so just wrote up a long reply to what you said to me snickpop, but I deleted it. :) we have went back and forth enough to know that on each side, the Belief systems are different. This won't end unless someone decides to stop. I'm leaving it at the two sides agree to disagree. ^_^ I will address one last thing..Just something I thought was kinda funny..

It just sort of fascinates me. You're obviously smart. Maybe smarter than me. And yet you say that faery tales are as credible as scientific theories (in my opinion, obviously that's not the way you see it). I find it interesting.

Aww.. what a backhanded compliment. You say that I'm smart, but at the same time you imply that it is dumb to say the Bible has as much credibility as science.. Oh Oh! and you don't even call it the Bible nor Christianity, but "Faery Tales"..lol :p

btw, all the things I have said is based on my interpretation of Christianity,the Bible, and how it would fit into history(historical significance). They may or may not be my personal beliefs. :whistling: Anyways, a good debater should be able to debate something whether they personally believe in it or not. ^_^

#82 jpt

jpt
  • 1288 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

That's not true at all. You would be surprised at how many people I convert through debates. That includes Atheists (who believed in evolution) and alot of other different religions. And I didn't decide, you yourself said bye. Your just getting annoyed because im using your own words against you, mabye you shouldn't say them then, might help a bit :)

If that's true, then you weren't talking to very "strong" atheists. They had probably gone to atheism because of a silly reason like "God doesn't love me, so I'm going to be atheist and not believe in him."

According to what my religion classes teach (Catholic school religion class) is that we shouldn't take the Bible so seriously. We should look to much of the Old Testament as figurative book on morals and such. Also, many Catholics/Christians believe in evolution. They tie it into the Long-Day theory, saying that God created the world and evolution. I guess it's kind of like Bush's "Intelligent Design" theory.

That's all according to what I've learned about the Catholic religious faith. I'm personally an atheist and think that arguing over God is silly.

*Edit for a typo*

Edited by jpt, 28 April 2006 - 08:00 PM.

#83 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

Snickpop, want to know whats difficult to read? People who have the quote tags in but its not quoted.

Well you might want to discuss that with the people who wrote the forum software. Apparently it can't handle it when you have that many quotes in one message. Nothing I can do about that.

Also, come back when you have something argument supporting your theory.

What do you think my theory is?

I fricken hate that flying spahgetti monster because its 100% fake. It has no archeological backing as the Bible does.

There is as much evidence supporting the SM as there is supporting the bible.

With the Bible being so intertwined with events in history, wouldnt you be able to get some archeological find disproving something said or done in the bible?

How about the dinosaur bones? Evolution in general? Anyway, as I said earlier you can't ask people to disprove the bible. You put out a theory and you prove it. You don't ask people to disprove it.
"Oranges smell like roses" disprove that. If you can't, then it must be true.

(Reeshu)
You from the UK, snickpop?

I'm from Denmark.

AliasXNeo
Yes I'm americain, and I do understand sarcasm, but the way I handle it is by making the other person look stupid for saying it in the first place

Okay then. It kinda ruins the joke when you have to explain it for people to know. I'm not sure everyone would agree who is looking stupid.

amyjia
Aww.. what a backhanded compliment.

Well, it wasn't really meant to be a compliment. Just how I see things.

You say that I'm smart, but at the same time you imply that it is dumb to say the Bible has as much credibility as science.. Oh Oh! and you don't even call it the Bible nor Christianity, but "Faery Tales"..lol

btw, all the things I have said is based on my interpretation of Christianity,the Bible, and how it would fit into history(historical significance). They may or may not be my personal beliefs. Anyways, a good debater should be able to debate something whether they personally believe in it or not.

Well, you are definitely smart. But that's what's so strange. Because the bible is the same as the SM. Yet everyone can instantly see that the SM is a joke, while even intelligent people decide to believe in the bible. That's what I find odd. How has religion been able to fool so many people for so long?

I have a question for you snickpop. What makes scientific theories any better then the Christian Bible?

You can't even compare the two. The bible is a creation STORY, scientifc theories are based on reality, on what we can see and measure. Science tries to find the truth about things, the bible just states a fancy story that can't be proved or disproved.
Let's say you have a cup of hot water. The bible puts its finger in the water and says "that's hot. God made it hot". Science takes a thermometer and measures it and says "that's a 100 degrees". Science tries to explain things and admits that there are some things it can't explain yet. The bible just calls it "miracles". Science can be tested, experiments can be reproduced by other, the bible asks you to just believe. I mean come on. If I said that I could turn water into wine, would you believe it? If I said I could part the seas would you believe it? No. But the bible says that you should believe it, and you do. Because it's a miracle.

It's not that important really. If you want to believe in god then that's fine. If you want to use the bible as a story that teaches you morals then that's fine (as long as you think for yourself too). Faith can be a cool thing. My grandad died recently and I could really feel that need to believe that he had gone to a better place. That he was in heaven with my grandmother. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not on a crusade to abolish religion and make you stop believing in god. It just makes me wonder, when people think that the bible is more realistic than science. They're just two different things. One is faith, one is reality.
But I certainly don't have all the answers.

Edited by snickpop, 29 April 2006 - 12:47 AM.

#84 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:20 AM

I can't argue with someone that has so many lies put into their heads. The Bible is no more of a story then the Big Bang theory is. Both we never saw happen, they share the same common attributes.

So, I'll say it again. Please stop using that argument. I can get anyone in here to tell you how annoying your being right now. All you do is say that the Bible is a story and that science is a better story. What the hell is that?

Yes, everyone agrees with you. Certainly. You win.

#85 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

Lies? Nooooo..

What snickpop is saying is that not all the questions are answered via science, which makes it more realistic. That's not lies, thats just trying to explain everything through scientific method, rather than the bible. Which I'm pretty sure your argument is that there aren't all scientific explanations answered because they were in the creation of God. Which don't get me wrong, thats a reasonable argument, but it lacks logical balance that science has to offer.

#86 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

Taking the Bible as real, and then taking Science as real is exactly the same thing.

Sometimes you dig yourself so far down in a hole that you can't see a way out. But keep digging, maybe you'll make it to the other side.

#87 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

Your just going deeper and deeper into the hole, and not looking from the outside. For all you know your little game of "logic" could be just as logical as the Bible, but it's too much for us to comprehend because it being written by God. There may be millions of things that are "logical" in the Bible that we have yet to found. Taking the Bible as real, and then taking Science as real is exactly the same thing. For all you know the Big Bang could have been a great faery tale that some lunatic wrote and expressed so much people took it as being possible.

The difference between the bible, and the story of the big bang, is -evidence-.
Religions greatest fallacy is either the inability to allow for mistakes, or the inability to say that there is in fact things that cannot be explained by anything.
I can't decide.

#88 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

Really, and show me this evidence. Saying at a trillions of degrees hydrogen can form into helium without actually ever watching the process, how does it make it any valid? I can say that if I take a dog and put in into a 1000 degree fire it would turn into a cat. It's called a theory, meaning there is no evidence that backs it up to be a fact =/

I can't believe that you actually just said that.
We -have- watched the process. We can perform the process. It's called fusion.

#89 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

Really, and show me this evidence. Saying at a trillions of degrees hydrogen can form into helium without actually ever watching the process, how does it make it any valid? I can say that if I take a dog and put in into a 1000 degree fire it would turn into a cat. It's called a theory, meaning there is no evidence that backs it up to be a fact =/

Not enough sufficent evidence, and no evidence are two different things. The only evidence towards a God is a hunch and so called miracles. As for the big bang - Joe would know more about it. What I can tell you is its definitely more realistic and has more pieces of proof to back it up.

#90 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Sorry, I'm 15 and that's exactly what I read in my earth science textbook, that scientists have never chemically fused Hydrogen into Helium.

Then I'm afraid your textbook is full of shit.
-resists temptation to relate that to the Bible too-

#91 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

You could be polite about it. I'm fixing to have this topic closed as well seeing as people like you insist to call the Bible and everything else about me shit. Why don't you just go back to your little corner and think about all the stuff you have said.

And I wouldn't be surprised if my textboox was full of shit, it's a science textbook.

Well, you see, there's the trouble. Science moves so fast, it's hard for the books to keep up.
Still, at least we know more truth about the universe now than then, eh?

And I didn't call the Bible shit. It's actually quite a good read :) God is my favourite fictional character.

#92 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

Well, you see, there's the trouble. Science moves so fast, it's hard for the books to keep up.
Still, at least we know more truth about the universe now than then, eh?

And I didn't call the Bible shit. It's actually quite a good read :) God is my favourite fictional character.

Can I just say that I like you, Joe? In a completely heterosexual way of course. I don't want to go to hell!

AliasXNeo
the Bible and everything else about me

Is that you, god?

Having a topic closed because you don't like people's opinions is a pretty poor way to debate.

Edited by snickpop, 29 April 2006 - 02:55 PM.

#93 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

Alright then, I'll request it to be closed. Your fault.

I see no reason to close this thread, a debate is where people of differing views discuss their ideas - you may not agree with them all alias, but that doesn't mean you have to throw your toys out the pram

I personally find this topic quite intresting, but I have no desire to discuss it with you as you would not cosider anything I have to say valid because it's different from yours

Please feel free to continue the debate, and enjoy the freedom that we have nowadays to openly talk about our religious idiologies.

Remember this is something we've not always had.

#94 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

I didn't request it to be closed, I asked that he at least be warned. Sure you can express your opinions, and I really don't mind, but I asked various times for him to show the littelest of respect, and he completely refused. You guys act like I'm complaining that you don't believe in the Bible. I'm not, I'm complaing that Joe over here is being an immature bitch about it, and can't have one single post without shitting all over the Bible and my beliefs. It is possible to express your idea kindly, obviously at your maturity level you have not even thought about trying it. And to say the least, if he's allowed to continue then I'll be forced to play his little game, and I better not hear one damn little peep out of you if I do.

if I was to warn him, I'm afread I would also have to warn you - you have said worse about other aspects of another person's beliefs here. - I find a lot of what you say in this thread judgmental and non-contructive, so can we ALL please be more considerate of our fellow debators.

He didn't call the bible shit, and the fact that he called god his fave fictional character is in my humble opinion quite a valid expression of his views. there are many parallels between the story of jesus and the post christ-christan god and some of the most popular fictional tales.

#95 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

Alias - thats a bad comparison of proof. Thats not the evidence to support it, either. I look at it in Einsteins view: It's an excellent theory, but when there are more than enough facts is the day I convert to atheism.

#96 jpt

jpt
  • 1288 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

And Alias, you believe in the Bible just as much or more as they believe in the Big Bang. That means absolutely nothing them them, and I think that's the difference between what you and they are arguing about. :p

You guys really are going to get nowhere except flames in these topics since you are arguing about articles of faith. You can't prove/disprove God and you can't prove/disprove the Big Bang. :pirate:

#97 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

Personally I belive in no god. Science is so much more convincing. Ever since I was a little kid ive belived in science over god. Theres far more evidence of the big bang than god. I'm not saying there isnt a god I just belive that the scientific theory is alot more belivable.

#98 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

I believe in the big bang and God too :). The Qur'an makes reference to the big bang :) - I think a lot of people are turned away from religion because all they see is christianity...and christianity isnt bad...its just, christians dont like science and that is hard for people to grasp...I believe that there shouldnt be a conflict between religion and science. :)

#99 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

How is it so much more believable? How do you know that there might be a greater life force out there that controls our every action? Not even like a god, but mabye a more advanced society. How do you know that we're not just being experimented on to see how we fall into a stupid idea like the Big Bang? Then you could also say, well how do you know that we really did not come from the Big Bang? You say "I don't know", and I say "I don't know". I don't see how one of those "I don't know"'s can be more believable.

Mind you that the logic you are using above has been used by scientologists all around the world to convert people.

I believe in the big bang and God too :). The Qur'an makes reference to the big bang :) - I think a lot of people are turned away from religion because all they see is christianity...and christianity isnt bad...its just, christians dont like science and that is hard for people to grasp...I believe that there shouldnt be a conflict between religion and science. :)

It's not even Christianity. It's just a few christians that will go out of their way from science because of something such as a miracle for their faith in Jesus christ being a messiah.

#100 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:35 PM

The big bang theory actually can be proven :). I took a cosmology class where we did just that :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users