Photo

Genesis

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#101 Bora

Bora
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

The big bang theory actually can be proven :). I took a cosmology class where we did just that :)

How so? I would like to know :)

Especially since you can't really repeat it or record it like in a basic experiment (though the Big Bang is not very basic :p)

Or even measure it in any way...

#102 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

Really? I have a question then. Where did the matter come from? That would have been the first questioned I would of asked in that class.

I think what he was trying to say was, that God created existence, which the universe happens to be a part of. Thus, with the universe there was matter and the big bang happened. Or that the big bang happened, but God still let through with it.

#103 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

Really? I have a question then. Where did the matter come from? That would have been the first questioned I would of asked in that class.

God created it :p. I believe atheists have a different answer...

The Qur'an talks about the big bang:

"Moreover He comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been (as) smoke: He said to it and to the earth: 'Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly.' They said: 'We do come (together), in willing obedience.' So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard. Such is the Decree of (Him) the Exalted in Might, Full of Knowledge. (The Noble Quran, 41:11-12)"

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe? (The Noble Quran, 21:30)"

:p

How so? I would like to know :)

Especially since you can't really repeat it or record it like in a basic experiment (though the Big Bang is not very basic :p )

They go back and retrace the events that took place...and actually simulate the conditions so they can run tests and stuff :p

#104 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:24 AM

There are many parallels between the story of jesus and the post christ-christan god and some of the most popular fictional tales.

Especially the Chronicles of Narnia. I love those books...
I'll edit when I read more posts :)

Hydro isn't quite right...
We can can simulate/recreate right back to approximately 10^-30 seconds after the big bang. Not right back to the actual event.

#105 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

That's the real reason why god (as some people call the spagheti monster) had to rest on the 7th day. He was exhausted from explaining this to everyone.

lol yea he had to explain to all of us?
I learned some philosophy in college and the foloowing facts must be true to proove that someone is god:
-God has no disiers
-God is never tired

God doesnt have to excplain to anyone...

#106 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

lol yea he had to explain to all of us?
I learned some philosophy in college and the foloowing facts must be true to proove that someone is god:
-God has no disiers
-God is never tired

God doesnt have to excplain to anyone...

Oh my Goodness.
You're in college, and you can't spell desire?
And you make -completely- irrelevant posts like that.
Kill me now. Someone, please, just kill me now.

PS, I thought you quit?

#107 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

Kill me now. Someone, please, just kill me now.

PS, I thought you quit?

Ill gladly will...

Im sorry to disapoint you.... hydro made me stay...

#108 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

That was very rude.

Yeah, true...
Ok, put it this way, if God has no desires, then he has no cares.
Therefore, he does not care whether humans live or die, go to heaven or go to hell, sin or do not sin.
Which renders life pointless, still.
Making God no more comforting a solution than the big bang.

#109 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, true...
Ok, put it this way, if God has no desires, then he has no cares.
Therefore, he does not care whether humans live or die, go to heaven or go to hell, sin or do not sin.
Which renders life pointless, still.
Making God no more comforting a solution than the big bang.

he doesnt... god can do anything if he had desire's he can do it... if god has a desire for a human to do something god can do it for him... god can do anything thats why he has no desires...

#110 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

The point I wa making, is if God has no desires, he doesn't have any particular aim for the human race. He doesn't "desire" us to do or achieve anything in particular.
Therefore we're still just as pointless as if there were no God at all.

#111 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

The point I wa making, is if God has no desires, he doesn't have any particular aim for the human race. He doesn't "desire" us to do or achieve anything in particular.
Therefore we're still just as pointless as if there were no God at all.

The point that I making is that god made us, and wants us to believe in him... but he doesnt have any desires because if he wanted us to believe in him he can easily make it that we all become religios with a snap...

#112 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

So you're saying that God is an entirely apathetic entity?
I'd prefer not to have a God, than to have a God that doesn't give a toss about me...

#113 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:26 PM

Lets put it this way... whatever god desires, happens... so he doesnt have desires because everything he wants already happens...

So you're saying that God is an entirely apathetic entity?
I'd prefer not to have a God, than to have a God that doesn't give a toss about me...

Up to you...

#114 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

I don't know. To me it seems better to be able to look out my window and say "God made that" instead of "The Big Bang made that". It makes me feel alot better inside to know that I'm not just an accident and that someone does care and love for me. I would never want to live a life where I was only an advanced organism that accidently appeared where I am. Just some personal feelings I guess.

Not accidental. Despite what an atheist believes in, the universe does unfold as it should (with some effort.) I wouldn't call evolution a mistake, but just a proccess.

#115 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

Lets put it this way... whatever god desires, happens... so he doesnt have desires because everything he wants already happens...

So everything that happens, God wants.
That's an interesting theory...

Why did he, to use a whored example, want (not just let, but actually want) 9/11 to take place?

#116 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

The argument from evil concept can be replied with the simple idea that whatever God does is right for society, and to show hes alive, and that we are only human.

#117 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

So everything that happens, God wants.
That's an interesting theory...

Why did he, to use a whored example, want (not just let, but actually want) 9/11 to take place?

... Do you think Im god to answer that question?
Im not god, only god knows the answer to that question... plus if god doesnt desire something it still can happen... Its not like everyhting that happens is by will of god...

#118 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

-God has no disiers

Up to you...

Make up your mind.

#119 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

... Do you think Im god to answer that question?
Im not god, only god knows the answer to that question... plus if god doesnt desire something it still can happen... Its not like everyhting that happens is by will of god...

Everything God wants, happens.
God knows everything.
Therefore God thinks about everything.
Therefore, if God thinks abouts it, he decides whether or not it should happen.
Therefore, everything that happens, God wants to happen.

#120 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

Everything God wants, happens.
God knows everything.
Therefore God thinks about everything.
Therefore, if God thinks abouts it, he decides whether or not it should happen.
Therefore, everything that happens, God wants to happen.

God knows what will happen and he CAN change that... but you dont know what major change will happen because of that? it might be even a change for a good thing.. He knows whats going to happen... but Im not god to know why he let something to happen... only god knows..

#121 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

God knows what will happen and he CAN change that... but you dont know what major change will happen because of that? it might be even a change for a good thing.. He knows whats going to happen... but Im not god to know why he let something to happen... only god knows..

Funny, you seem to think you are...
Please note, I'm not resorting to mindless jokes because I lost the argument. I'm just bored of it.

So, anyways, what are your thoughts on Genesis, Ilya? Yunno, like the topic is about?

#122 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

God has given us free will to choose what we want to do. He isn't going to do everything for us is he?

Plus you can't say 9/11 was right or wrong, that's an opinion right? Some people wanted 9/11 to happen etc..

#123 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

Just trying to bring us back on topic in an amusing fashion...

#124 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

Especially the Chronicles of Narnia. I love those books...
I'll edit when I read more posts :)

Hydro isn't quite right...
We can can simulate/recreate right back to approximately 10^-30 seconds after the big bang. Not right back to the actual event.

Yes...this is true...our knowledge of physics goes absolutely crazy beyond this point...I didnt think they would want to know this :p

I don't know. To me it seems better to be able to look out my window and say "God made that" instead of "The Big Bang made that". It makes me feel alot better inside to know that I'm not just an accident and that someone does care and love for me. I would never want to live a life where I was only an advanced organism that accidently appeared where I am. Just some personal feelings I guess.

Why do you have to have a distinction between religion and science? I have no problem with the big bang theory, or evolution, or even abortion (conditionally) ... I dont know ... I have my own theories on this that I think an admin really shouldnt discuss... :ninja:

#125 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

That's like having a new neighbor and watching them come out one day with raggedy clothes on and some stuff in a used shopping bag, and saying that they must be really poor, when in reality they might be rich as hell and like to dress like that (Which actually I have seen rich people do O_o)

Exactly, you draw your conclusions from the evidence you have available to you.
We always have an open mind, that we may be wrong, but it's more/new evidence that will cause us to think this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users