Quantcast

Photo

What happens if the gas prices don't go down, instead up?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 magda11us

magda11us
  • 343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:26 PM

What would you sacrafice? Would you go walking to a place you would like to go or use your bike? Also take the public bus.

What is your plan?

#2 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

The gas prices going up are good. People are driving more fuel effiecent cars and using less gas which is good for the enviroment. Eletric cars will become possible due to high gas prices which will be good for the economy and enviroment.

I'd continue using public tranportation as I can't drive :p

#3 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

I'm thinking more fuel efficent cars, electric cars/hybrids. Vegetable oil. Mopeds are very gas efficient, I think I might get one of those if I am just traveling short distances every day. :) Public transportation is very disgusting in Kentucky and quite frankly it never comes near my house. There are like no rhoutes where I live. :(

#4 magda11us

magda11us
  • 343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

The gas prices going up are good. People are driving more fuel effiecent cars and using less gas which is good for the enviroment. Eletric cars will become possible due to high gas prices which will be good for the economy and enviroment.

I'd continue using public tranportation as I can't drive :p

But I heard that it could take years to put electric cars in the market and it could cost a lot of money.

#5 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

I dont have a car .. and I dont plan on getting one, either.

If I did though, which I really wouldn't :p, I s'pose I would deal with the prices, and/or try to walk or take the bus more often .. ^_^

#6 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

Trust me, gas prices ar enot going back down to what they used to be (1.10 p/gal here). Poeple ar epaying 3 dollars for the cheap gas around here. you think the big oil companies will bring down prices, when they knwo that people will pay for ti at the current price? Hopefully biodeseil will becum the wav eof the future :)

#7 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

Well if you use public transportation, like a bus, it still uses gas...
and it will be keep going up and up... Because gas is a limited resource, and well if gas goes up its not really a good thing because if people buy gas to drive to work, then there job should pay them more because of the gas prices, if people are getting paid more, other stuff like food will increase in prices and when everything increases in price we get inflation where 1 apple costs $5...

#8 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:22 PM

in the UK we pay over twice what you pay for in America, I can tell you now, people with money will still have their big cars, people with green sympathies will invest in alternate tech's

#9 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

New type of energies will make their way, and theyll probably inflate too. I'll be happy if so, because I had to dish out 55 dollars for gas the other day. And I'm not happy.

#10 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

they already have some kind of energetic casrs, but only lasts 10 min lol

#11 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

they already have some kind of energetic casrs, but only lasts 10 min lol

Ethanol does alright.

#12 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

Gas in caracas is only 12 cents <_<

Once the middle east and everyone else cuts off our oil supply, we will use our own oil, and gasoline prices will plummet.

Gas will continue to go up untilt then.

#13 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

Ethanol does alright.

Ethanol requires more fossil fuels to make than it is worth. So does any other alternative source of energy. The only way ethanol would be truly effective is if it was produced from energy made by solar power, wind power, or hydroelectric power.

My solution - Posted Image

That thing won some race across Australia. Its pretty sweet, there isnt that much leg room or trunk space though o.O

Edited by hawk117, 24 April 2006 - 03:06 PM.

#14 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

Ethanol does not use fossil fuel . . . its the sugars and what not from corn and thingys O_o

#15 Bora

Bora
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

Ethanol does not use fossil fuel . . . its the sugars and what not from corn and thingys O_o

Yes, and it grows back, obviously, but people today don't seem to appreciate it...

Well yes, electric cars will become available soon, but who knows if they will be good enough to beat the price of gas altogether?

#16 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

Except you need ENERGY to make it.

Ethanol is produced using the following process:

1. Wheat or corn kernels are ground in a hammermill to expose the starch.
2. The ground grain is mixed with water, cooked briefly and enzymes are added to convert the starch to sugar using a chemical reaction called hydrolysis.
3. Yeast is added to ferment the sugars to ethanol.
4. The ethanol is separated from the mixture by distillation and the water is removed from the mixture using dehydration

Source

You need energy to grind it effectivly or on a large enough scale. Cooking also requires fuels. You need fossil fuels to make it. So, although it burns cleaner, the final result of energy produced from ethanol is NOT worth the fossil fuels to make it. If they make it from the energy produced by alternative sources (Wind, solar, hydroelectric) its kinda worth it. Electric would still be more effiecient though as you lose quality energy changing it to ethanol

Edited by hawk117, 24 April 2006 - 03:08 PM.

#17 Tim

Tim
  • 2795 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

If they keep going up, I won't be getting a car most likely. I'll just walk everywhere. The lowest price around here is$2.98 per gallon. <_<

#18 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

Ethanol requires more fossil fuels to make than it is worth. So does any other alternative source of energy. The only way ethanol would be truly effective is if it was produced from energy made by solar power, wind power, or hydroelectric power.

My solution - Posted Image

That thing won some race across Australia. Its pretty sweet, there isnt that much leg room or trunk space though o.O

What? I went throughout Iowa, Montana, Nebraska, etc. on ethanol and I managed just even with regular gas. Regardless, the machine of the future is:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Taken from Paramount Region 1 release of SOUTH PARK - THE COMPLETE FIFTH SEASON

#19 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

Stop buying premium, I guess. Instead I'll get some additives to put in the fuel tank after I fill it.

What? I like my engine, and want it to continue to like me.

#20 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

Ehh... they will find somehow to make gas... then the prices will go down.. For now we have to keep the oil we got before US goes to war with Iran...

#21 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:19 PM

Except you need ENERGY to make it.
Source

You need energy to grind it effectivly or on a large enough scale. Cooking also requires fuels. You need fossil fuels to make it. So, although it burns cleaner, the final result of energy produced from ethanol is NOT worth the fossil fuels to make it. If they make it from the energy produced by alternative sources (Wind, solar, hydroelectric) its kinda worth it. Electric would still be more effiecient though as you lose quality energy changing it to ethanol

Energy like that can be gathered naturally. Hydro-electric dams, or nuclear power - not fossil fuels in any way. Electic heating elements can also be used to cook it - using the energy from the H-E dams.

#22 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

Ehh... they will find somehow to make gas... then the prices will go down.. For now we have to keep the oil we got before US goes to war with Iran...

Oil isn't the problem. We have plenty of oil - we always have had plenty of oil. It's the refineries we don't have very many of, and Katrina taking a lot of them offline didn't help. =P We'll always have Kuwait and Canada for oil! And now Iraq.

Edited by Casilla, 24 April 2006 - 05:13 PM.

#23 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

Energy like that can be gathered naturally. Hydro-electric dams, or nuclear power - not fossil fuels in any way. Electic heating elements can also be used to cook it - using the energy from the H-E dams.

Which is why I said unless it is produced by those methods the fossil fuels used to create the ethanol results in a loss of energy, so technically you would be better off just using oil. When 51% of the electricity is produced by burning coal I doubt most ethanol is being produced by H-E, nuclear, or other sources.

I know electric heating elements can be used, which was why I listed solar power. Like huge solar pannels which would be used to power an electric heating element.

Edit: Reeshu, I forgot to adress your point. Ethanol DOES work, it DOES burn clean (Thats right, the polutants are somewhere else, just not here, who cares about them <_<), its just the energy going into it is not worth what you get out of it.

Edited by hawk117, 24 April 2006 - 06:19 PM.

#24 magda11us

magda11us
  • 343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

Oil isn't the problem. We have plenty of oil - we always have had plenty of oil. It's the refineries we don't have very many of, and Katrina taking a lot of them offline didn't help. =P We'll always have Kuwait and Canada for oil! And now Iraq.

I don't think we have enough, the resources are getting smaller and smaller. I heard the president of Venezuelam, Hugo Chavez is making threats to the USA that he won't give oil to the USA. I don't know the current issue why he is making threats to the USA though. But if he does not give oil to the USA then we are in a big trouble, that means the prices will go up a lot.

Edited by magda11us, 24 April 2006 - 07:26 PM.

#25 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

fuck gas, ride a bike fatty, buy a diesal, change the f'ing world for once.
oh and hybrids suck, just another way for car companys and oil companys to look good
they should be making deasal/electric hybrids.
theres so many people complaining about what exxons CEO siad but hes right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users