Quantcast

Photo

Anyone rushing out to burn the U.S. flag?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Inside Of You

Inside Of You
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

A constitutional amendment to allow a ban on burning Old Glory failed by one vote to pass the Senate last week. Ban backers plan to play up the issue before November elections.

TIME Magazine July 10, 06

Is a ban on burning the flag even constitutional?
Should the ban be passed?
If you don't mind, do tell if you're American or not.

#2 Cuteangel333

Cuteangel333
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

TIME Magazine July 10, 06

Is a ban on burning the flag even constitutional?
Should the ban be passed?
If you don't mind, do tell if you're American or not.

Burning the flag should be legal, burning any flag, no matter where you live should be legal.

I live in Canada.

#3 Jaf

Jaf
  • 1654 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

I'm from Norway and I do not approve of any sort of flag burning, or at least in public. Unless it's red with a swastika in the middle, oh wait doesn't that makes me a hypocrite?

Oh bother..

#4 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

Why would you want to burn a flag? That is just stupid. If you don't like the country, get the fuck out. We are not forcing you to stay.

#5 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

I don't agree with flag burning. however it is a form of free speech/expression and is protected by the constitution.

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

flag burning is not permissible in my opinion in any way, shape or form. If its your own country or someone elses...flag burning is wrong.

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:24 PM

If you don't like something, change it. Or try to change it. Flag burning is not trying to change something, infact it usually makes matters worse.

#8 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

If you think America is so bad that you need to burn the flag to show your anger, try living in 90% of the other countries in the world. See if you still think it sucks then, eh? Try China, I hear they're civil rights are a real party.

#9 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

But America does suck. More then most countries.

#10 Inside Of You

Inside Of You
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:34 PM

But America does suck. More then most countries.

Stay on flag burning, let's not go into America bashing... As a lot of topics about America do. Lol.

XD

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:32 AM

Flag burning is almost as bad as book burning.

Shouldn't happen.

Ever.

#12 Hlaw

Hlaw
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:38 AM

If you think America is so bad that you need to burn the flag to show your anger, try living in 90% of the other countries in the world. See if you still think it sucks then, eh? Try China, I hear they're civil rights are a real party.

excuse me, i dont think its only america that is the best place in the world to live. what makes you think 90% of the world are shitholes?

#13 Raillery

Raillery
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:39 AM

Flag burning is almost as bad as book burning.

Shouldn't happen.

Ever.

What if you live in a country with no rights, you're being oppressed, you can't get out or change anything because the government won't allow it, and you're trying (with a large ammount of people mind you) to stir up a revolution and be free people.

Would flag burning be okay in that case? Or still no.

Just wondering what you're opinion is.

#14 TScully89

TScully89
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:51 AM

Flag burning should be illegal, regardless of circumstances. Why live in a country that would motivate you to do something like that?

#15 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:04 AM

Why live in a country that would motivate you to do something like that?

The first amendment

Anyways, I don't really give two shits. I'm definitely not the biggest fan of American politics, but I wouldn't burn a flag over it. There are plenty of other ways to say "Fuck America, I'm going to England (The day I'm not denied)"

#16 Darkness

Darkness
  • 1432 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

I belive burning the flag is wrong, unless is as a disposal method. That's how I feel, so, I think burning flags in portest is wrong, but if the flag is riped or something, it should be burned instead of thrown out. I'm American, and that's how it used to be.

#17 TScully89

TScully89
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

The first amendment

I was inferring that if you live in a country you don't like, why not just get out? You don't need to burn a flag over it. Also there's a difference between freedom to act upon one's beliefs and behaving in a way that would make you an anarchist. In such a case, the first amendment is negated.

Edited by TScully89, 06 July 2006 - 09:17 AM.

#18 Joey

Joey
  • 782 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

I think they should not pass the ban, because the first amendment, freedom of speech. I think anyone should be able to burn a flag, well I would never do it, and i am not anti american, because im white,:p but i think we should follow the constitution, as in freedom of speech, and allow it, if someones burns the flag, there still going to, its not like there gonna follow the ban. Well I dont think you should burn a flag over politics though, you could be a skinhead neo-nazi! Hmmm that reminds me, has anyone seen American History X?

Edited by Joey_J., 06 July 2006 - 09:27 AM.

#19 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:12 AM

Most people do not burn the American to show their dislike for the country itself. It is to reaffirm the understanding of our civil rights, usually an act done against people trying to hinder civil rights.

Flag burning causes emotional frenzy behind even the most unpatriotic Americans, but that is why it is done -- to show that no matter what people might think of your beliefs, they are protected by a government. That is why people do it. They don't hate America, they hate what people do or try to do to it.

I say America only because I rarely ever hear of anyone burning the French flag (unless in America...) or burning the German flag -- always us. :)

#20 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:25 AM

Bruning the flag should be legal in any country, If you make burning flag illigal then there would be too many cops catching those people who burn the flags.. So as the US dollars, you cant write on them although alot of people write on them.. but no one will know that its you who wrote they just make laws and thats it...

Im from America :)

I say America only because I rarely ever hear of anyone burning the French flag (unless in America...) or burning the German flag -- always us. :)

Umm... Dictatorship?
In germany if someone see's you burning the germany flag and saying Im against this and on strike you gonna be put in jail for like 10 years... In America you have the right to strike...

#21 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

I am American and personally I think we should be able to burn flags. If the flag is a symbol of our nation and its ripped, tattered, and in bad condition we need a way to retire it. Retiring flags has always been done by burning before and I think thats a good way to do it.

#22 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

Umm... Dictatorship?
In germany if someone see's you burning the germany flag and saying Im against this and on strike you gonna be put in jail for like 10 years... In America you have the right to strike...

This did not contradict anything I said really.

#23 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

Why would you want to burn a flag? That is just stupid. If you don't like the country, get the fuck out. We are not forcing you to stay.

AMEN.

There should not even be a question. No burning the flag. Its desrespectful and all it will do is cause problems.
If America is so bad, with its high minimum wages, and its good work laws, ands its good health care system, and that whole freedom of speech and 2.87 gas? Then get the fuck out. I'm really sure we wont miss you unless your last name is Gates.

And by the way. I will gladly say I'm American.

Edited by Sonic, 06 July 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#24 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

I am kind of split. I do believe that it should be allowed just for the 1st amendment issue but I will look down on anyone who will do it because frankly... I find the whole idea stupid. Just like people are allowed to say statements that I will find idiotic and pointless. But I do wish that if people hate a certain country they would send their message in more... productive ways. For example... boycott their goods. It'll hurt them where it counts. Don't burn the flag... that's just kind of stupid.

#25 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

But I do wish that if people hate a certain country they would send their message in more... productive ways. For example... boycott their goods. It'll hurt them where it counts. Don't burn the flag... that's just kind of stupid.

Perhaps, if you are in one country and hating another country, that would work, but I would also understand burning another country's flag, if only for the emotional plea. It's a rally device.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users