Quantcast

Photo

Anyone rushing out to burn the U.S. flag?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

I have a huge problem with flag burning. There are obviously much more constructive ways to protest than this. Talk about a way of saying thank you to the people who have died for that flag. Quite the nation we've become, from revering the flag raisers on Iwo Jima...to fighting for their right to burn the thing to somehow prove a point. "Look at me, I can light shit on fire...I rule."

Perhaps, if you are in one country and hating another country, that would work, but I would also understand burning another country's flag, if only for the emotional plea. It's a rally device.

I hate plenty of countries but wouldn't even consider doing something so insulting as to burn their national symbol. It just seems so demeaning.

#27 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

Isn't it considered treason to burn the US flag?

Anyway, I don't support flag burning. I don't support the 'right' to it, as there is no such right. Americans have enough rights as it is. And don't throw the Tenth at me, I'm sure that somewhere in some US code its couched in technojargon that its against the law to burn our own flag.

#28 SupermanFTM

SupermanFTM
  • 5817 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

I am for flag burning being legal, because it's human rights. Why should we not be allowed to burn a flag? It's just freedom of expression. Personally, I will never burn a flag, because as a symbol, it represents a country, however what country can say their people are truly free when doing such a simply act as flag burning it considered a felony? It should be legal, but not preformed. :p

#29 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

I am for flag burning being legal, because it's human rights. Why should we not be allowed to burn a flag? It's just freedom of expression. Personally, I will never burn a flag, because as a symbol, it represents a country, however what country can say their people are truly free when doing such a simply act as flag burning it considered a felony? It should be legal, but not preformed. :p

I don't believe that human rights should really apply to something like this, because then...I might as well apply human rights to shooting and eating a bald eagle, another national symbol. When I see the eagle, I see strength and honor, the same thing I see when I see the flag. There are a million different freedoms of expression that would offend a lot less people than burning a flag would. I know the "if you don't like it, then get out" phrase is overused, but it's a damn shame that people who have never had to suffer for our country can think they're being smart or making a point by burning a flag.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users