Quantcast

Photo

Anyone here athiest and your family wont accept it.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mobster281

mobster281
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

Whenever I tell them that I dont believe in that stuff they see me like im an evil person or something. I respect their opinion about being catholic but they wont mine. They say I will go to hell if I dont belive in god and all that other stuff. I ask them typical questions like if god is so good why does he make retarded people and cancer and other stuff like that. And I also ask them questions like "Ok who made god?" And they dont have an awnser for that.

#2 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

You just need to tell them up front that is what you believe, and if that means your going to hell in their viewpoint, then bark it. Because you don't believe your going to hell - you just believe your gonna rot in the ground. Remind them that Jesus also taught acceptance and tolerance of other beliefs, as long as they aren't claiming they're a christian and worshipping something else.

Edited by Athean, 30 July 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#3 mobster281

mobster281
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Athean @ Jul 30 2006, 10:58 AM) View Post

You just need to tell them up front that is what you believe, and if that means your going to hell in their viewpoint, then bark it. Because you don't believe your going to hell - you just believe your gonna rot in the ground. Remind them that Jesus also taught acceptance and tolerance of other beliefs, as long as they aren't claiming they're a christian and worshipping something else.

My family is catholic and ive told them that before. I told them how a lot of the bible is BS, no offense to any religous people. Like adam and eve just sounds so dumb to me. And noahs ark especially. Oh and I also blew it with this girl because I told her I was athiest and said she couldnt be with someone that didnt believe in god angry.gif

#4 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(mobster281 @ Jul 30 2006, 01:22 PM) View Post

My family is catholic and ive told them that before. I told them how a lot of the bible is BS, no offense to any religous people. Like adam and eve just sounds so dumb to me. And noahs ark especially. Oh and I also blew it with this girl because I told her I was athiest and said she couldnt be with someone that didnt believe in god angry.gif

That is NOT how you approach a devout catholic family. You don't just throw down the fiery sword and say "This is all a load of bullshit." You have to be as nice as possible.

#5 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

My family doesn't want me to be athiest. So I stopped giving a damn and just never mention it.

Probably the best thing to do.

#6 Zeeky

Zeeky
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

Become Agnostic. smile.gif

#7 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Zeeky @ Jul 30 2006, 02:41 PM) View Post

Become Agnostic. smile.gif

That won;t solv ehis problems...

Agnostics just don't care/think it's possible to know about God...

#8 Zeeky

Zeeky
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Jul 30 2006, 11:43 AM) View Post

That won;t solv ehis problems...

Agnostics just don't care/think it's possible to know about God...

But then he doesn't just say to his parents "I don't believe in God, it's a load of bullshit." Instead he says "I don't know, I find no real evidence in either direction that overpowers the other." I think that a religious family would be able to take it easier if their son didn't know then if he didn't believe. Meh, what do I know. sorry.gif

#9 Shin

Shin
  • 1586 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:40 PM

I'm an atheist and my family wants me to be. ohmy.gif

#10 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:42 PM

Eh, my whole family is hardcore Catholics.
I don't consider myself Athiest, more like "undecided" or "deist".

But I tell them this, and argue my point, but they are so ilogical about everything it is pointless. They believe because thats what they are told to do.

#11 mobster281

mobster281
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Sonic @ Jul 30 2006, 01:42 PM) View Post

Eh, my whole family is hardcore Catholics.
I don't consider myself Athiest, more like "undecided" or "deist".

But I tell them this, and argue my point, but they are so ilogical about everything it is pointless. They believe because thats what they are told to do.

Theyre not hardcore catholics but they go to church every sunday. And everytime I always get the same talk. I tell my dad he dont even like church, that he seemes forced to do so cuz he always falls asleep in church tongue.gif

#12 /Max

/Max
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:24 AM

Don't take this too personally, but you sound like a child going through a rambuncious rebelious stage.

WHY do you need to tell them? WHY do you need to push your views in their face? You whine about them doing that, when you tell them what they believe in is wrong and "BS." I'd be barking pissed off if you told me everything I stood for was "BS." If you don't like it, stfu and just leave it alone. You're under your parent's rule right now. If you don't believe in God, then just sthu and don't make a childish scene about it.

#13 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

I'v tried to explain to my Dad that i can't believe in religion. It's not that i won't, it's that my mind won't let me. I can only see things from the scientific point of view, and trying to see things in a religious way just doesn't work for me.

He won't listen and goes mad sad.gif

Edited by SidaZoid, 31 July 2006 - 08:27 AM.

#14 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

I am Athiest... if my family knew they would freak out about it. I live with my 83 year old granny....so yeah that would be an issue. The other side of my family is Catholic. SO yeah, pretty much my whole family is religious except me. And I can't believe they haven't caught any hints! Whatever. I stopped going to church after Hurrican Katrina because churches were closed anyways... and I never went back. That was the only good thing from the hurricane....

#15 otherworld

otherworld
  • 1022 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

Im atheist

just because I cant see any proof at all there is a god etc. scientific stuff can be proved to a certain extent, luckily my family seems the same way

#16 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(otherworld @ Aug 2 2006, 04:50 PM) View Post

Im atheist

just because I cant see any proof at all there is a god etc. scientific stuff can be proved to a certain extent, luckily my family seems the same way

The Bible can be proved to the some extent also unsure.gif

#17 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(hawk117 @ Aug 2 2006, 04:07 PM) View Post

The Bible can be proved to the some extent also unsure.gif

I saw some stuff on Sodom and Gomorah. It's pretty interesting. There also seemed to be proof of a flood which occured around where Noah lived, too.

#18 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Athean @ Aug 2 2006, 05:10 PM) View Post

I saw some stuff on Sodom and Gomorah. It's pretty interesting. There also seemed to be proof of a flood which occured around where Noah lived, too.

That was on the Discovery or History Channel recently, I should have watched it sad.gif

#19 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(brookuslicious @ Jul 31 2006, 11:24 AM) View Post

I am Athiest... if my family knew they would freak out about it. I live with my 83 year old granny....so yeah that would be an issue. The other side of my family is Catholic. SO yeah, pretty much my whole family is religious except me. And I can't believe they haven't caught any hints! Whatever. I stopped going to church after Hurrican Katrina because churches were closed anyways... and I never went back. That was the only good thing from the hurricane....

Basically my scenario. I choose not to tell her, because she has become more zealous about Christianity in the past years, I'm involved in Christian missions, and I go to a Christian school. If I told her, I don't know how'd she react to that and i t might cause unsightly repercussions.

#20 Craig

Craig
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

It take more faith to be an Atheist than to be religious.

#21 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Athean @ Aug 2 2006, 02:10 PM) View Post

Not to mention that most major religions have a story about a major flood going on it that time, so there has to be SOME truth in that story.

In my own opinion, I'm not athiest, but I don't know what I am. I believe in God, but not much more. I don't take the bible literally. I think that a lot of it (aka the rebirth of Jesus) is more in a spritual way and not literally coming back to life. Some people won't accept that coming back to life isn't possible.

If you are an athiest, than keep it to yourself. It's nobody's business unless they ask. If they ask why, just tell them that it's the path you've chosen. No reason to really flaunt it in anybody's face.

#22 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

http://video.google....135092079886288

#23 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Craig @ Aug 19 2006, 09:48 PM) View Post

It take more faith to be an Atheist than to be religious.
Overdone quotes for the win.

QUOTE(Sean @ Aug 19 2006, 09:57 PM) View Post
If you are an athiest, than keep it to yourself. It's nobody's business unless they ask. If they ask why, just tell them that it's the path you've chosen. No reason to really flaunt it in anybody's face.

You'll never see me debate theism antagonistically anymore, though I will admit that when I converted I went through a six month period of picking fights over it. I will most definitely mention it or the facts whenever someone horribly misrepresents it or any other religion.

#24 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Jul 30 2006, 03:36 PM) View Post

I would sit down and talk with one of the elders about why you think it's bullshit. If the elders don't give you enough of a reason to change the way you think, then I think your family might respect you a little more. (Even though I really don't like the catholic religion at all)

No one has answers to everything.. if your an athiest then you can ask question that only god can answer..

There is no way of prooving that god exists..

I know alot of athiests believe in science.. try to reason the opposite way why doesnt science always works?

Like: If humans came from monkeys how come all monkeys didnt turn into humans? Monkey's didnt evolve form anything.. but how did they came to this world? How come we ended up on planet earth?

Those are just basics.. but there is tons more.. just ask a question and think what would you argue in response?

Anyway... its up to you whether you believe or dont... if you just dont believe no one can make you believe in god...

#25 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(Adobe @ Aug 19 2006, 07:09 PM) View Post

Like: If humans came from monkeys how come all monkeys didnt turn into humans? Monkey's didnt evolve form anything.. but how did they came to this world? How come we ended up on planet earth?

My answer:
Humans didn't come from monkeys. Humans have a similar ancestor to the primate. They branched off into two completely different species. Here is a tree to break it up:

................... Primate Ancestor - Primate
Ancestor -<
.................. Human Ancestor - Human

I hope that makes sense. blink.gif

Oh and the answer the "how did they come to this world" question:
After millions of years of chemical evolution, eventually one cell orgranisms were formed. Which then eventually evolved into many other types of species that off from the orgranisms in different conditions.

Edited by Sean, 19 August 2006 - 07:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users