Photo

Anyone fascinated by thinking about what there was before the universe

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mobster281

mobster281
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

Ever since I was little I always think about it. Im 18 now and it still feels weird when I think about. What is just some white space? And what was there before this white space and before that etc...

#2 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

I've always thought about it too, its weird to think about. Even with Gods where did they come from? When did everything begin?Why?How?

#3 mobster281

mobster281
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE({RaNDoM} @ Jul 30 2006, 11:06 AM) View Post

I've always thought about it too, its weird to think about. Even with Gods where did they come from? When did everything begin?Why?How?

I mostly think about this when Im drunk or high. I once took some DXM(2 bottles of max strenght robitussin) And I was at a friends house. I got there like at 9 took the DXM. Threw up 30 minutes later. Another 30 minutes I start getting messed up. It feels like being stoned really bad because its hard to get up and drunk cuz you loose your balance. I feel good for like an hour then the stoner feeling starts kicking in. I just sit down on the floor staring at my friends fish tank thinking about stuff like this. I can hear my friends talking to me but I dont respond. Before I know it 5 hours passed like nothing and feel somewhat sober. The whole time I was thinking about the universe

#4 Shin

Shin
  • 1586 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

It's so hard to believe that everything originated from tiny specks in the universe.. life is too complicated to understand. :/

#5 SupermanFTM

SupermanFTM
  • 5817 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:04 PM

That doesn't mean people won't wonder though tongue.gif

Too many posibilities... all we have are theories...but I guess unless a time machine is invented, we'll never know smile.gif

#6 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(SupermanFTM @ Jul 30 2006, 02:04 PM) View Post

That doesn't mean people won't wonder though tongue.gif

Too many posibilities... all we have are theories...but I guess unless a time machine is invented, we'll never know smile.gif

Eh, If Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity are successfully combined into the quatum thoery of gravity then we will know, because that would be the "grand thoery of everything" and we could know the fate of the universe as well......

Anyway, I to used to "wonder", but to much proding with QM and Astrophysics has made it dully to me, and making WHY more important, if that makes any sense.

#7 Harley

Harley
  • 3138 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:08 AM

I beleive it was Just the earth inhabited by gorillas and various creatures. And they wandered the earth for millions of years and eventually somehow grew into intelligent life. They then begun to slowly build up and up and rainforests and then Gorillas grew tiny insy binsy Peanut brains when they created fire. Then they made the wheel which they made out of stone and they created things that we use now but not as technologicaly advanced. They learnt how to speak and speak until they made a language which we know as Monkey talk xD It sount a bit like OooHH ooo Ahh!! But they learnt to speak english and yeah. Im going on way to much, but if you are wondering why my post didn't make any sense ask Raui wink.gif

#8 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Turkey @ Aug 1 2006, 01:08 PM) View Post

I beleive it was Just the earth inhabited by gorillas and various creatures. And they wandered the earth for millions of years and eventually somehow grew into intelligent life. They then begun to slowly build up and up and rainforests and then Gorillas grew tiny insy binsy Peanut brains when they created fire. Then they made the wheel which they made out of stone and they created things that we use now but not as technologicaly advanced. They learnt how to speak and speak until they made a language which we know as Monkey talk xD It sount a bit like OooHH ooo Ahh!! But they learnt to speak english and yeah. Im going on way to much, but if you are wondering why my post didn't make any sense ask Raui wink.gif

That's not how evolution works...

Lets say we take 10 baby zebras. Now these zebras are all regular baby zebras, but one of them had a slight deformaty in it's DNA and it's neck was slightly longer.

Along comes a lion, who notices the lion first? The zebra with the longer neck. He starts to run, then the rest follow. The lion chases and ends up catching one of the regular zebras.
Now we have 1 less regular zebra.

They all have 10 young, so we have 10 zebras with long necks and 90 normal.
30 lions come. Who sees them first? The longer necked zebras. They run and the others follow. 30 normal zebras have been eaten. Now we have 10 long necks and 60 normal.

As you can see, the long necks will eventually catch up, and the origional will no longer exist. That is evolution.

The deformed DNA is not always a positive thing such as the longer neck, it could be shorter, but if that's the case, then the deformaty just causes the zebra to be eaten first and that deformaty no longer exists.

Back to the topic, i always think about the universe when i'm high...i simply cannot understand how it's possible. I always force myself to stop thinking about it though, as scientists have gone clinicly insane pondering about it.

Edited by SidaZoid, 01 August 2006 - 09:40 AM.

#9 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(SidaZoid @ Aug 1 2006, 10:39 AM) View Post

Lets say we take 10 baby zebras. Now these zebras are all regular baby zebras, but one of them had a slight deformaty in it's DNA and it's neck was slightly longer.

Along comes a lion, who notices the lion first? The zebra with the longer neck. He starts to run, then the rest follow. The lion chases and ends up catching one of the regular zebras.

30 lions come. Who sees them first? The longer necked zebras. They run and the others follow. 30 normal zebras have been eaten. Now we have 10 long necks and 60 normal.

As you can see, the long necks will eventually catch up, and the origional will no longer exist. That is evolution.

The deformed DNA is not always a positive thing such as the longer neck, it could be shorter, but if that's the case, then the deformaty just causes the zebra to be eaten first and that deformaty no longer exists.

Back to the topic, i always think about the universe when i'm high...i simply cannot understand how it's possible. I always force myself to stop thinking about it though, as scientists have gone clinicly insane pondering about it.

I believe he was refering to his "beliefs". Rather than the general understanding of Evolution. Leave him alone.

#10 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

I wasn't being nasty, i was just trying to explain incase he mis-understood evolution.

#11 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(SidaZoid @ Aug 1 2006, 11:08 AM) View Post

I wasn't being nasty, i was just trying to explain incase he mis-understood evolution.

Eh, if you have beed through 6th grade then you have to have the level of understanding of evolution that you just explained. You did not bother to mention that that is only one thoery of evolution. Granted it is the most widly believed, but still only one.

#12 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Sonic @ Aug 1 2006, 07:29 PM) View Post

Eh, if you have beed through 6th grade then you have to have the level of understanding of evolution that you just explained. You did not bother to mention that that is only one thoery of evolution. Granted it is the most widly believed, but still only one.

Most widely believed, and with most evidence of all evolutionary theorys.

#13 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

No, I'm apathetic to what was before us, because I can never know and knowing will not affect my daily living enough to be considered.

#14 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

Don't you ever have the desire to know something, even though it won't affect what you have?

#15 Harley

Harley
  • 3138 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(SidaZoid @ Aug 2 2006, 03:39 AM) View Post

Dont mock me boy tongue.gif I was just mentioning what i've seen from movies tongue.gif

#16 otherworld

otherworld
  • 1022 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

to be honest i dont think about it because it cant really be proved

#17 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:06 AM

Perhaps before our current universe existed, there was another universe which collapsed in on itself, and perhaps before that one there was another which collapsed in on itself and so on for ever? tongue.gif

That's my guess...and since energy is never destroyed i think it could work. thumbsup.gif

#18 BarCode

BarCode
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:13 AM

I usually get about 4 seconds into the thought of where it came from, then I get lost;
All things are composed of mater; atoms, particles etc
Where did the first atom come from?
--end of thought---

So yea, I guess we will never really know smile.gif

#19 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(BarCode @ Aug 3 2006, 09:13 AM) View Post

So yea, I guess we will never really know smile.gif

Actually, the quantum theory of gravity would explain how the universe began and how it should end.

#20 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(SidaZoid @ Aug 1 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post

Don't you ever have the desire to know something, even though it won't affect what you have?

Sure, very much! That is not the only variable involved in me not caring -- there is no historical data from the beginning of the world (Obvious when looking at the definition of "history" but still a major point) and there is no way I'll be able to find out. I could adopt a theory and push for it, but that's only bullheaded and arrogant. There are only a few things about our environment that we cannot know, but we have to accept them and learn how to affect our future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users