Photo

Science or Religion?

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#151 Master Control Program

Master Control Program
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

I would first like to start off by saying that I am neutral on this topic. Science vs. Religion is a very difficult topic to discuss, not only because it is close to many people's hearts but also a majority is based on theory. By theory I mean to say that ultimately our knowledge, as a whole, is limited and to come to a conclusion it difficult due to the blanks we have to fill in ourselves. These theories, whether developed by the Church or by a scientist, do provide an explanation to the reasons why a certain phenomena occur, but again it is one's own choice on what to believe in. Thus on that note I would like to give response to a few people and then end with my own opinion.

Now, a majority of this debate has been dwelling on what the [Christian] Church has done to both help and harm the world as a whole. Casilla, thank-you for the brief history synopsis of what the [Christian] Church has done that has greatly benefited current society. It is true, without the [Christian] Church we would have lost thousands of years of technological advancement. The [Christian] Church also provided a great service during the Middle Ages in Europe. It copied thousands of pieces of text by hand so that it could be saved. However, the access to these documents was restricted only to members of the Church, meaning the public did not have access to it. However, a major reason Europe was able to move out of their education slump was that the printing press was able to mass produce The Bible. So, again, a majority of our education could be linked back to the [Christian] Church. However on a similar note, the [Christian] Church does also have a history of preventing progression (as mentioned by Casilla).

[Continued in next post.]

While great minds like Newton and Galileo went against the Church - the only reason they were able to make their discoveries at all was because of principles and theories already established by previous Church priests, monks, etc.

However Galileo and many others also had their lives threatened because their ideas went against the Church.

While the progression of science can exist outside organized religion, for thousands of years it has not. Nearly everything we have today in society either came directly as a result of religiously driven advancement, or was derived from previous advancements.

This, however, is not by choice but instead by a lack of education on the person's part. This lack of education is again the fault of the [Christian] Church due to the fact that they did not educate the population and restricted access to their copies of ancient texts.

Moving onward, nox (or Speaker) you explain that religion is a major source of both hate crimes and wars. True, hate crimes have been committed because of religions but hate crimes have been committed because of race or ethnicity. Wars have also been started over religion but they have also been started over population, food, money etc. This is a too big of a generalization. You continue on by claiming religion is the reason for pedophiles. Again many members of the Church have been pedophiles, but there are also many who are not. This, again, is too big of a generalization.

Another 'hot topic' in this debate has been abortion. This again is a difficult topic. That is to say, when does the person have a right to end/take away a person's life, and when exactly is a person considered alive?

Finally, I will give my opinion, as I must be on my 2ish post. I have stated, in the beginning, that I am neutral and by that I mean I am torn. I was taught both science and religion, but I would consider myself more atheistic then anything else. Ultimately I believe it is option C. Both Science and Religion are explanations for the same thing. Many claim religion is the sole cause for pain and suffering in the world while it is not. As put by Casilla it is simply human nature. While humans are social creatures, we enjoy conflict and we hate change/anything that is different. While I agree both Science and Religion has provided many good and bad things to humanity, they essentially made up of just theories. NOTHING is known for sure simply because no one was there to both witness and record it. However, just to be a devil's advocate I pose this question to you all: If God does exist, then why is there so much pain and suffering when he/she could simply prevent all of it?

Hope I have provided an adequate response!

#152 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

Does the bible at any point, insist that we have to stand up against evil? If so, wouldn't god allowing sin for his 'ultimate plan' be a sin against himself?

#153 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Josh @ Jun 26 2007, 01:47 AM) View Post
Completely lost me. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Does god insist that we should try and stop sins if we are able to?

#154 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(Josh @ Jun 26 2007, 07:01 PM) View Post
God says that we should not willingly sin because it's rebellion against Him. God uses temptation to test our faith all the time, and of course the goal is to overcome the temptation.

No no, I mean if we are able to stop the sins of someone else, is it suggested by the bible that we do so? tongue.gif

Also, if he is all knowing, why would he test our faith? Shouldn't he already know the result?

#155 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Josh @ Jun 26 2007, 11:09 PM) View Post
We are to help save others, but God Himself said "Revenge is mine", so in other words let God handle other people, you just show them the way.

The test is not for Him to gain knowledge, it's to keep your faith strong. Sometimes you don't know the true extent of your knowledge until it's really tested somewhere.

M'kay, that explanation works for me laugh.gif

For those who believe in whichever religion they follow, why can't they have both science and religion anyway? Aren't some of the worlds most profound scientists highly religious?

#156 wordballoon

wordballoon
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

Both.

#157 juju`

juju`
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:37 AM

The religious hypoththesis is just like any scientific hypothesis - a theory, one that I do not choose to believe, mainly for moral reasons.

#158 astrologically

astrologically
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

I'd go with B...I'm all for science.
Religion just isn't my thing, it all seems silly to me.

#159 Akira

Akira
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

Personally, religion never seemed all that great to me. I live in a redneck, KKK, wife beating, back water town, however...so I tend to do the exact opposite of whatever they do. Pretty much, they go to their farms and they go to church. Don't get me wrong; I think that churches are beautiful...but the words do not move me. I find it all to be hypocrisy:

God is everywhere....but not in hell.
God loves us all...but he'll damn us to hell for not worshiping him.
God knows all...yet he can never seem to stop these rapists and murderers from being born.
Biblical 'history' is a wee bit skewed...
Gays are ultimate evil...but God made them?

So...yeah. I think that religion is fine, but it needs to be practiced alone. None of this 'Hey, I totally hear Jesus too!' stuff. It all seems so fake to me...the Jesus story is ripped off of a ton of Pagan stories, word for word, in fact...yet everyone is positive that he is really the son of God. Hundreds of holy people were said to be born of a virgin mother, hundreds of religions claim to have the child of God born here to save us from evil, and so on. A real test of faith is to look at the tribes that are completely secluded from the outside world: None of them worship Jesus Christ. If I'm not mistaken, that would be a very cruel joke for God to play. Why create people to live in an area where they aren't even aware of the 'right' God to worship? Is God not creating them to go straight to hell? And if they go to heaven, then why does everyone else that worships the wrong/no God have to go to hell?

I do not like the archaic Gods, but I won't try to stop people from believing it. I just want to know why I'm doomed for hell because I have thoughts o.O

#160 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(Akira @ Aug 16 2007, 09:04 AM) View Post
God loves us all...but he'll damn us to hell for not worshiping him.

No, He won't. We're the ones who chose. We chose hell if we do not love Him and do not want to be with Him.

God knows all...yet he can never seem to stop these rapists and murderers from being born.

Again, they have a choice. They are not born rapists and murderers.

Gays are ultimate evil...but God made them?

They're not evil, they just don't resist that particular temptation.

About all the rest, I don't want to go into too much detail here, as I lack the knowledge, but God lets us doubt to try our faith.
Trust me, I know how absurd and obviously full of shit it all looks to you. "Been there, done that." So I'm not trying to convert you. I know people who make others hate religion. I just wish you'd someday meet someone completely different, like I have.

Oh, and about that "doomed to hell because I have thoughts" thing, who told you that? Everyone has thoughts and no one is "doomed" smile.gif.

And about the other part, Cody said it a couple of pages ago in this thread:
"faith and science go hand in hand... they don't contradict each other."

Edited by Sasha, 16 August 2007 - 11:14 AM.

#161 Akira

Akira
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

No, He won't. We're the ones who chose. We chose hell if we do not love Him and do not want to be with Him.

Well, think about it. Let's say that I don't think that there's enough proof for God (let's just say, haha). Well, I don't believe in him because of it, and therefore can't really force myself to love him. Would I still go to hell, even if I spent my entire life being as good as I could be? Theoretically, yes, I would end up in hell because I just don't feel the God vibes...

Again, they have a choice. They are not born rapists and murderers.

Although God, knowing everything, would know that they were going to choose to be evil, correct? If he did not know that they would choose evil, then he would not be all knowing, and therefore would not be a God.

They're not evil, they just don't resist that particular temptation.

Really? There was a war veteran that was denied a burial at a church because he was gay. So, is the church right for deciding to do that? Besides...I don't consider it a temptation. It's a way of life, no?

About all the rest, I don't want to go into too much detail here, as I lack the knowledge, but God lets us doubt to try our faith.
Trust me, I know how absurd and obviously full of shit it all looks to you. "Been there, done that." So I'm not trying to convert you. I know people who make others hate religion. I just wish you'd someday meet someone completely different, like I have.

Well, I do know some very nice Christians. However, I also know some nice Muslims, some nice Buddhists, and some nice Jews. In fact, some of my ancestors are buried in a mass grave somewhere in the Ukraine. I wasn't raised in any particular religion...and looking from the outside view, I'm befuddled that each one of these nice people (except the Buddhists) are convinced that the others are going to suffer an eternity of torture.

Oh, and about that "doomed to hell because I have thoughts" thing, who told you that? Everyone has thoughts and no one is "doomed" smile.gif .

Haha...I have spent several months talking with religious people about this stuff. I call them 'faithies', because all that they do is talk about me being damned to hell, and whatnot. I've been called a lot of odd things by them...

Well, my thoughts are considered bad by the bible thumpers...you know, interest in men and whatnot. I think that, if God is real, he wouldn't be so considered with the trivial things in life, like what name people call him or who the people are barking. Rather, I would think that he would judge people by their actions. Good people shouldn't go to hell because they don't believe...

Well...sometimes. The creation story in the bible doesn't really go with science too well..as I have yet to find proof that we can construct a man from dirt o.O (If they ever do it, I will eat an entire coke bottle) However, I will agree that they try not to contradict each other. It's the people touting them that try to destroy the other. The earth going around the sun theory was almost obliterated by the church, after all...but we probably would not even be curious if it weren't for faith telling us that the skies were whimsical and holy places.

I would assume that God has a sense of humor. As they said in Dogma...look at the platypus.

#162 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Sasha @ Aug 16 2007, 08:05 PM) View Post

I'm fairly certain Cody was talking about faith in general terms.
Orthodox Christianity is certainly in contradicton to several scientific points.

#163 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Akira @ Aug 16 2007, 12:27 PM) View Post
Well, think about it. Let's say that I don't think that there's enough proof for God (let's just say, haha). Well, I don't believe in him because of it, and therefore can't really force myself to love him. Would I still go to hell, even if I spent my entire life being as good as I could be? Theoretically, yes, I would end up in hell because I just don't feel the God vibes...

Well, I don't know that. And no, I don't think you're automatically doomed because you are not a believer. All churches have made mistakes, all fervent believers have made mistakes. And I think one of the worst mistakes is to despise someone for not believing in God and tell them they're going to hell. You can't know that. No matter what you think of someone and no matter what you think of yourself, there's no way to know where our actions lead us.

Although God, knowing everything, would know that they were going to choose to be evil, correct? If he did not know that they would choose evil, then he would not be all knowing, and therefore would not be a God.

Yes, I suppose God would know. But they still have the freedom of choice. I know what you're thinking, if He knows what they'll end up as, why does He create them anyway? That's something I have no answer to.

Really? There was a war veteran that was denied a burial at a church because he was gay. So, is the church right for deciding to do that? Besides...I don't consider it a temptation. It's a way of life, no?

Believe me, it's not just a way of life. People don't really chose to be gay or straight. Some people are tempted to it, others aren't. Some people fall in love with someone of the same sex, that's temptation, and it's a terrible thing, because no one will believe love is wrong. And it's not wrong, as long as you don't end up having sex with someone of the same sex. Others will just try it, seeing it as a new experience. Which they wouldn't do if they hadn't found out about this "lifestyle" from the first group.
I don't know about that burial denial. I disagree with that, but then again, I'm not experienced enough to know what's right.

I'm befuddled that each one of these nice people (except the Buddhists) are convinced that the others are going to suffer an eternity of torture.

Yeah, that's just a bit extreme. As I was saying, churches have made mistakes, we're all human etc. It's annoying to see all this religious extremism. People seem to be so proud of themselves for being "of the chosen few". But not everyone who believes in God is like that. I wish no one would be like that. I wish people would not think they know everything. And the sad truth is that a lot more non-believers accept their knowledge is limited, than believers. Believers sort of tend to think they have an advantage in the "race for redemption" just for believing in God's existence.

I have yet to find proof that we can construct a man from dirt o.O

Well, I would say we can't. We're not almighty. But then again, these details are very confusing, who knows if we're supposed to take them literally or not. Perhaps "dirt" is just a metaphor for something we have no notion about, so we'd be unable to comprehend.

I must say this is the first time I'm having this kind of talk and it's very interesting smile.gif.

#164 Akira

Akira
  • 795 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:19 PM

Well, I don't know that. And no, I don't think you're automatically doomed because you are not a believer. All churches have made mistakes, all fervent believers have made mistakes. And I think one of the worst mistakes is to despise someone for not believing in God and tell them they're going to hell. You can't know that. No matter what you think of someone and no matter what you think of yourself, there's no way to know where our actions lead us.

o.O -bows to you- THANK YOU! I have seen plenty of religious people go crazy and start foaming at the mouth because I say things like this. Even though I don't think that the big bang was the cause, people of faith tend to say to me 'well, you have no proof of what happened back then, so you can't be right! There, God is real.' To which I reply 'It was Adam, Eve, God, and a talking snake. Were you there? No. So don't assume that you know how everything began either.'

Yes, I suppose God would know. But they still have the freedom of choice. I know what you're thinking, if He knows what they'll end up as, why does He create them anyway? That's something I have no answer to.

Aye...one could ask why God allows evil if he loves us. If it is a test of faith, then why make the test so deadly? Why make it so that an innocent needs to be tormented in order for those around them to have strengthened beliefs? Well, we don't really know what God is thinking...so any answer is an assumption.

Believe me, it's not just a way of life. People don't really chose to be gay or straight. Some people are tempted to it, others aren't. Some people fall in love with someone of the same sex, that's temptation, and it's a terrible thing, because no one will believe love is wrong. And it's not wrong, as long as you don't end up having sex with someone of the same sex. Others will just try it, seeing it as a new experience. Which they wouldn't do if they hadn't found out about this "lifestyle" from the first group.
I don't know about that burial denial. I disagree with that, but then again, I'm not experienced enough to know what's right.

Well...I certainly was not 'tempted' to it. Just woke up one day and thought 'girls just aren't my thing'. All of these people that want to find the cause of it, or call it a disease...I often wonder why. I don't consider myself any more 'tempted' than someone who is attracted to a woman, after all.

Yeah, that's just a bit extreme. As I was saying, churches have made mistakes, we're all human etc. It's annoying to see all this religious extremism. People seem to be so proud of themselves for being "of the chosen few". But not everyone who believes in God is like that. I wish no one would be like that. I wish people would not think they know everything. And the sad truth is that a lot more non-believers accept their knowledge is limited, than believers. Believers sort of tend to think they have an advantage in the "race for redemption" just for believing in God's existence.

That's why I sort of flinch at organized religion. They have bloody histories, and hate specific people because they think their God wants it. If there is a God, I hope that he judges us on what we do, not who we are. If he does as the religious extremists hope, millions of good people will be in hell. If he does as I hope, no good people will be hell.

Well, I would say we can't. We're not almighty. But then again, these details are very confusing, who knows if we're supposed to take them literally or not. Perhaps "dirt" is just a metaphor for something we have no notion about, so we'd be unable to comprehend.

Hm...we've started making clones, however, and we've made chimeras. If the day ever did come that a man was made of dirt...well...

Although it could have easily been a metaphor. The problem is that no one is alive who wrote it, and once we assume one part to be metaphorical, we must ask if we can ever know which parts were absolute truth and which parts were stories...I seem to remember opening the bible one day and finding a very graphic detail of how well endowed Assyrinian men are (it said something about being hung like a donkey with the spray of a horse) and was about how disgusting women were that sold their bodies for profit without their fathers permission...

I must say this is the first time I'm having this kind of talk and it's very interesting smile.gif .

This is the first time that I've actually had an intelligent discussion ^-^ It's quite pleasant.

#165 T3cHniC

T3cHniC
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(Athean @ Sep 1 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post
Of course there isn't proof for a God. Does it mean that the idea of a God should be ruled out simply because there isn't a scientific explanation for it? Not really, because the logic is that God is the supreme of everything. Though the majority doesn't count for too much, seeing as most aren't expirienced in the field, and old habits die hard.

Whether you are a hardcore believer something had to pull the strings, or that you think God is the most barking retarded idea on earth, the people who look for the answers (not just sit on their ass and get fed "knowledge"), and try to find it before they rule things out, deserve respect.

Yeah, You can believe in god! Even if you are athiest you are following someones theories and/or beliefs!
I really dont know what to think anymore. I believe that theres something still to come! Do I know what it is? No.
Is science gonna prove it to me with a book that has thousands of pages that has excerpts from serveral thousand people in it?
Probably not. Cause there to busy trying to prove to us that the other book is wrong. If you know which that is. I don't doubt the smart guys but
sometimes I think there are trying way to hard.
But who am I to argue! It's been a while since I've argued Science or Belief so just call me wacko!

Edited by T3cHniC, 16 August 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#166 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(Kitsune @ Aug 16 2007, 09:53 PM) View Post
I'm quite impressed. A person who can defend their religious beliefs, and admit to some extent that there are faults, and that religion doesn't always answer everything.

Thanks, but I guess I didn't express myself very clearly yesterday.
I don't think that religion doesn't always answer everything. I think that most people don't get to the level where they can find the answers and understand them - some of them because they believe anyway, others because they don't feel like looking any further, others because they never met someone to make them think it's worth the try.
That's why there are these contradictions between science and religion, as Sunscorch pointed out.

Anyway, if anyone's really interested in the topic, Seraphim Rose's and Pavel Florensky's works are interesting reads and they contain hundreds of details I wish I could remember and explain in this sort of discussion.
But then again, they're long and very elaborate (especially Florensky's) tongue.gif.

Edited by Sasha, 17 August 2007 - 01:09 AM.

#167 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

I have never believed in God, I just don't see how a super artificial being could of made all these things. I'm only 14 and I couldn't bother looking over eight pages of information, but I will be ignorant and only believe in science. Heck, 500 years ago people thought fairies sprinkled water on grass and that there was a god for almost everything that existed.

#168 Amiko

Amiko
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

im with u on this, science all the way.
god created man
man created whatever we got now
the reason for evolution is science and knowldege in my opinion

#169 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(Amiko @ Aug 24 2007, 06:32 PM) View Post
god created man
the reason for evolution is science and knowldege in my opinion

What? You just argued with yourself.

Particles mixed with the other sex make more particles etc. and eventually it got up to humans. God didn't create anything.

#170 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 25 2007, 01:27 AM) View Post
Heck, 500 years ago people thought fairies sprinkled water on grass and that there was a god for almost everything that existed.

Yes, but 500 years ago other people believed in God.
Here we are 500 years later, people don't believe in fairies anymore, but they still believe in God.
It's always been like this with beliefs in several gods, they just come and go...

#171 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(Sasha @ Aug 25 2007, 10:02 AM) View Post
Here we are 500 years later, people don't believe in fairies anymore, but they still believe in God.
It's always been like this with beliefs in several gods, they just come and go...

Yes but there is more than enough scientific evidence to prove that fairies don't sprinkle water on the grass. Whether or not God is real, the concept of god is a well thought up one which would be hard for science to prove wrong because scientists still have many mysteries about the universe. Whats the bet that in 500 years time your great great great grandchildren make a post saying 'Just to think 500 years ago they believed in god'.

#172 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'll make the go ahead and say God is a perception of mind. If he's real to you, he's real. If he's not, he's not. I come off as a nut, dont I?

#173 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

500 years ago, there wasn't just God, but there were gods and goddesses. I find it funny seeing as how God was made up sometime between then. People use these kinds of things to cover up for things they don't know about, that's what God is used for. Nothing else.

QUOTE( @ Aug 24 2007, 08:37 PM) View Post
I'll make the go ahead and say God is a perception of mind. If he's real to you, he's real. If he's not, he's not. I come off as a nut, dont I?

It makes sense, but then again, I think everyone already knew that.

#174 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Athean @ Aug 25 2007, 10:37 AM) View Post

I'd agree with that as I've always felt that god is nothing more than a person conscience.

#175 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

Josh has got a good point there, honestly shouldn't it more be Religion vs. Natural Evolution ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users