Photo

Macs vs. PCs

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jabberwocky

jabberwocky
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

I'd like to know what you guys honestly think.
--PLEASE no bashing!

I'm considering getting a laptop and I'd like to know of your experiences. I'm currently leaning toward a mac. Thanks!

-Jabberwocky

#2 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Isnt a Mac a PC? 1we8.gif Or are Macs no longer computers 1we8.gif

#3 'B'

'B'
  • 934 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(Hawk117 @ Oct 8 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post

I guess they aren't personal.

#4 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Lawl.
Macs: Stable as fcuk, silly interface though - very great for photoshop, programming, etc. Not very compatable with windows programs.

Windows: Unstable as a bipolar 6 year old. Vulnerable to spyware and virii, but just about everything is made for it.

#5 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

It really depends on what you actually want to do with it. Mac is now capable of dual booting both their operating system and a windows operating system. I personally like Windows a lot better than any other operating systems for several reasons. The big thing is just software compatibility, but since the mac is expanding that shouldn't be a issue for much longer.

The only real advantage I see to having a mac over a pc is that the mac does look a lot better. as far as the hard ware goes.

Now speaking of hardware it really depends on where you live to know what kind of support you will have for software and hardware if anything happens to it. PCs are the universal system so if anything goes wrong they are easy to repair, but a mac isn't like that. Chances are you would have to send it off to get it repaired.

#6 �ƻ

�ƻ
  • 662 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

I have a mac, now that I ahve used it I will prolly never go back to windows. No virisis, spyware, malware or anything. It is great interface and never crashes. Also you don't really need utillities to help keeping it running fast. And last of all http://www.flickr.co...ch/?q=mac vista

#7 philywilly

philywilly
  • 1656 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Hawk117 @ Oct 8 2006, 08:14 PM) View Post

Actually.. as long as I could remember, everyone I know refers to windows pcs as pcs and macs as, well, macs.

And.. umm.. I tried mac once, but it wasn't mine.. and I've been with windows all my life... so I couldn't really say. I'll just say, if you're into games and such, go for a pc... if not and you code, create graphics a mac would be good.. macs, from what I heard are more stable.. and that's probably true, since I admit to having had a couple of bluescreens.

#8 Blind

Blind
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(Hawk117 @ Oct 8 2006, 08:14 PM) View Post

lol i find that very very funny

but anyways i think that it depends on what you are doing with your lappy. of its movie making and stuff go with mac and if its office work go with pc.

i like the pc more cuse i find it more coustomizable. and i like that happy.gif

#9 shabba

shabba

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

I wouldnt go with a mac for movie editing, what makes it better than windows... second thoughts, what would make it better than linux...

Im no windows lover, but I am in no way a mac lover yeah they look cool, but there overpriced crap parts and normaly crap support.

#10 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

i'll copy Travis's interface smile.gif

Macs: good for gfx / movie editing / web browsing / stable / hard and expensive to upgrade

Windows: Good for gaming, web browsing / pretty stable / very compatible / optimized for most programs / easy and cheap to upgrade

#11 rcadble

rcadble
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

Apple provides crappy hardware, not durable, and basically Macs aren't good for much. The interface bothers me, you can see what the hell is going on, plus you can't get anything done because you can't run executables...

#12 Tibblian

Tibblian
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:52 AM

How 'bout neither? Linux pwns both of them tongue.gif Otherwise, get Mac

#13 Lemonblood

Lemonblood
  • 2830 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:56 AM

Windows, X100..

#14 shabba

shabba

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(Fatal @ Oct 11 2006, 10:35 PM) View Post

Macs: good for gfx / movie editing / web browsing / stable / hard and expensive to upgrade

Windows: Good for gaming, web browsing / pretty stable / very compatible / optimized for most programs / easy and cheap to upgrade

Hmm I suppose, I sort of agree, but I dont in other respects. good for gfx? What makes it better than windows? same software, nothing can be done on a mac that cant be done on a pc tongue.gif I think you need to think about whaat else you use the computer for....

If you work for a gfx company it doesnt matter waht system you use, because it will be DEDICATED to that, there is no speed performance in either, becuase if you build a computer to spec specifically for gfx then you can get the same results out of a PC as you could with a mac.

But if you are talking about off the shelfs computers then mm im still not sure... lets just say, if i had 3grand then I know what I would buy... After all its not like I stare at my case all day and drool.gif all I use it for is kicking when it does something wrong tongue.gif

#15 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Blind @ Oct 11 2006, 09:00 AM) View Post

lol i find that very very funny

Whats so funny about that, its a completly valid question 1we8.gif

I would go with Shabba on this one, he generally knows what he is talking about.

#16 shabba

shabba

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

Heh - Thanks, I just work with photographers building there computers they teach me alot, they also have forgotten more than I will ever know tongue.gif

#17 ubercow

ubercow
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Fatal @ Oct 11 2006, 02:35 PM) View Post

Macs: Beautiful, Stable, Virus-free, easy-to-use, EVERYTHING included.

The list goes on, but I'm gonna hit the bolded point because it's something we see 20x a day on these very forums. Now, someone with over two posts, tell me you haven't seen a n00b complaining that 'ms32xxx.dll' is missing and I get an error, how do I fix it? Well, Imagine everyone owned a mac, not a single person would have that problem! Ever lost some drivers for you printer? google is great, but spending 20 minutes to download a spyware-infested driver is NOT fun. sad.gif Macs are extremely useful, they are expensive, but so is anything worth buying, and near impossble to upgrade, but so is a dell. (which is not worth buying, BTW)

PCs: Compatible, but so is a mac, ummmmm...yah, that WAS pretty much the only problem with macs, apple finally fixed their one problem. For Neopets, or anything other than games and proffessional work, macs are superior.

If you can afford a mac, it's better than a PC. ESPECIALLY, in their laptop department, windows will still be trying to catch up with macs when there Vista is released, but at least Vista gives you a reason to buy another PC wink.gif

QUOTE(shabba @ Oct 14 2006, 12:38 PM) View Post

Heh - Thanks, I just work with photographers building there computers they teach me alot, they also have forgotten more than I will ever know tongue.gif

I build my own PCs, and I'm only 12 tongue.gif Well, Xth is making the best neo-programs I've ever seen, and he's only 15!!! So I guess I shouldn't be bragging....

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Travis @ Oct 8 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post

Lawl.
Macs: Stable as fcuk, silly interface though - very great for photoshop, programming, etc. Not very compatable with windows programs.

Windows: Unstable as a bipolar 6 year old. Vulnerable to spyware and virii, but just about everything is made for it.

I suggest you get facts before you try to bash windows.

Macs: Hyped up, bascially windows + a bunch of crap from mac that makes it seem better

Windows - Huge OS, great support, can be slow some times, but supports 90% of games and programs.

also WINDOWS HAS NEVER BEEN UNSTABLE IN THE 8 YEARS THAT I HAVE USED IT, its not exactly vulnerable to sypware and virii, its called antivirus, and spybot S&D. windows isnt shit like you make it to be dude.

also, at my job, we have had to fix more macs then windows.

QUOTE(Tibblian @ Oct 13 2006, 09:52 AM) View Post

How 'bout neither? Linux pwns both of them tongue.gif Otherwise, get Mac

Can I get a link where I can buy a Linux operating system?

QUOTE(ubercow @ Oct 22 2006, 01:04 AM) View Post

Macs: Beautiful, Stable, Virus-free, easy-to-use, EVERYTHING included.

The list goes on, but I'm gonna hit the bolded point because it's something we see 20x a day on these very forums. Now, someone with over two posts, tell me you haven't seen a n00b complaining that 'ms32xxx.dll' is missing and I get an error, how do I fix it? Well, Imagine everyone owned a mac, not a single person would have that problem! Ever lost some drivers for you printer? google is great, but spending 20 minutes to download a spyware-infested driver is NOT fun. sad.gif Macs are extremely useful, they are expensive, but so is anything worth buying, and near impossble to upgrade, but so is a dell. (which is not worth buying, BTW)

PCs: Compatible, but so is a mac, ummmmm...yah, that WAS pretty much the only problem with macs, apple finally fixed their one problem. For Neopets, or anything other than games and proffessional work, macs are superior.

That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Do you sleep with the makers of mac or something?

First mac lacks compatablity the most, VERY few games are made for the mac, and they only reason that they have few viruses, is becasue only 3% of the market is a mac. Also, next on the line, Macs have to have drivers too,and you can lose there drivers just the same, its not like mac is just so godlike all the hardware problems cant happen to it. Unlike I hear you saying, Dells are easy to upgrade, I have upgraded everything on a dell more then once, very easy too. Next we come to this whole thing about macs being superior, Im not bashing the mac, but they are no where new as good as you seem to think they are.

QUOTE(ubercow @ Oct 22 2006, 01:04 AM) View Post

I build my own PCs, and I'm only 12 tongue.gif Well, Xth is making the best neo-programs I've ever seen, and he's only 15!!! So I guess I shouldn't be bragging....

Uhh, dude, Building your own pc at age 12 is no biggy, building your own pc is simple, slide the ram into the ram slot, the cpu in the cpu slot, put the heatsink over it, then slide in any pci cards, attach the ide cable to the hd, and the floppy cable to the floppy drive, attach the ide cable to your cd-drive, then attach the cords, and you are done.

I can do that stuff in under 5 minutes, it is no big deal, stop bragging.

#19 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Elfonso @ Oct 21 2006, 09:19 PM) View Post

*blink*

What the hell do you mean, buy?
Linux is FREE. Open-source. You don't buy it, you download it or ask them for an install disc.

#20 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(EYEBEAMS! @ Oct 21 2006, 11:33 PM) View Post

*blink*

What the hell do you mean, buy?
Linux is FREE. Open-source. You don't buy it, you download it or ask them for an install disc.

Or if your a friend of mine, ask for 6000 of them. Amazingly they approved it too xD. They were scattered all over the school for weeks.

#21 113

• 1190 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(Elfonso @ Oct 22 2006, 07:32 AM) View Post

Since you want to buy it, I guess you want comercial support for it:
https://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/ (Enterprise systems)
http://store.mandriva.com/ (Mandrake-Mandriva based systems)
http://shop.novell.com (NOVELL-SuSE based systems)
http://www.canonical.com/ (Ubuntu based systems)
http://www.linspire.com/ (Linspire)
Ad nauseam

But you can get most of them for free (without comercial support, but hey you still have a kickass comunity) on linuxiso.org. Unfortunately it's ofline because of a hardware failiure...
Meanwhile you can use tuxcds.com

Edited by 113, 22 October 2006 - 12:50 AM.

#22 �ƻ

�ƻ
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:05 AM

Just thought I would point this out then im going to leave this thread.... butMac now has over 4 PC emulators that all work great and dont lagg up your computer so you can play any game you want if that is the reason you don't like mac is because games arent made for it. Also if you have the right tools you can port games of to mac from windows but u must be very skilled to do that. Also I am playing Counter Strike Sourcce on my Mac atm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users