Quantcast

Photo

Should the Government provide Universal Health Care?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cooldude

cooldude
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

Just wondering what everything thinks, should the government provide health care to everyone or should it be kept private?

This is for the United States sorry forget to say that -_-

Edited by cooldude, 28 November 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

In Canada, we're already enjoying Universal Health Care. tongue.gif Do you mean the United States?

#3 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

Yes, I do. It would eliminate a lot of hassle, and give coverage to all.

#4 padora

padora
  • 991 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Nov 28 2006, 08:20 PM) View Post

In Canada, we're already enjoying Universal Health Care. tongue.gif Do you mean the United States?

Well I think a lot of jobs in the US come with it. Also if you show your income is low then you are eligible...but if they can see that you have a nice income and that you can afford Health Care, you have to pay.

Not really sure if he was talking about US though.

That's pretty sweet Shadow, Canada owns...Time to move there.

#5 Redblade

Redblade
  • 1459 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

i dont quite get what you mean, do you mean making health care a free and public good instead of having to pay for it and having it as a private good?

If it is, i would strongly say NO. Hospitals would be packed, and where do the government get the money to fund it? It would ultimately be the tax he get from the peeps working. By making it free, he would need to increase the amount of tax, which would lead to the displeasure of many peeps out there. It would somehow result in a society where peeps wont be working as hard as possible as they know healthcare is free and they wont have to pay for it. The economic of the country would fall then.

Correct me if i interpret wrongly thou thumbsup.gif

#6 cooldude

cooldude
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Redblade @ Nov 28 2006, 06:32 PM) View Post

i dont quite get what you mean, do you mean making health care a free and public good instead of having to pay for it and having it as a private good?

If it is, i would strongly say NO. Hospitals would be packed, and where do the government get the money to fund it? It would ultimately be the tax he get from the peeps working. By making it free, he would need to increase the amount of tax, which would lead to the displeasure of many peeps out there. It would somehow result in a society where peeps wont be working as hard as possible as they know healthcare is free and they wont have to pay for it. The economic of the country would fall then.

Correct me if i interpret wrongly thou thumbsup.gif

With the democrats getting more spots in office this is going to be a big issue and yah they are going to pay for it with higher taxes. Canada, France, and maybe England all have universal health care provided by the Gov. But they also got some nasty taxes.

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:44 AM

What's wrong with high taxes? Sure you have less money, but it hinders inflation so everythings usually cheaper, plus if you break your leg or get run over, you don't have to pay.

#8 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

I'd like the option of being able to use a public healthcare system, or sign onto a private one. I personally prefer private. Either way, money goes towards it.

#9 zachafer

zachafer
  • 1566 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:49 PM

i say no
wewouldturnmorecommunism

like we need more?

i hte bush

#10 cooldude

cooldude
  • 901 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

Bush is against it he is a republican and pretty damn conservative -_-

#11 zachafer

zachafer
  • 1566 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

Bush(AKA fucker) is against it he is a republican and pretty damn conservative -_

agreed.
washington state is 100 percent democrat lol

#12 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(cooldude @ Nov 28 2006, 07:47 PM) View Post

With the democrats getting more spots in office this is going to be a big issue and yah they are going to pay for it with higher taxes. Canada, France, and maybe England all have universal health care provided by the Gov. But they also got some nasty taxes.

Yeah, we do have high taxes.. but I think that the quality of life that comes with universal health care, and a few other social programs compensates for it. tongue.gif

#13 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:07 AM

Definitely. It's something that everyone will always need to have access to... It's a prime candidate for being something that is automatically provided, and of course paid for with higher taxes.

I find it completely moronic in this country that if you don't have health insurance you're practically screwed... If you do have health insurance you pay for that, and STILL pay some on your own (read: You still pay an assload overall.) Your health insurance doesn't even cover all hospitals... You have to join "networks" and if you are in an emergency, you still have to go to a hospital in your "network". And THEN... after having medical problems the insurance people, whom you have been paying, will do everything in their power to get out of making their end of your medical payment.

The American healthcare system is crap. I wouldn't be opposed to leaving private healthcare available though, for the people that cry about having higher quality care because something is private.

#14 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(zachafer @ Nov 29 2006, 09:49 PM) View Post

i say no
wewouldturnmorecommunism

like we need more?

i hte bush

QUOTE(cooldude @ Nov 29 2006, 11:11 PM) View Post

Bush is against it he is a republican and pretty damn conservative -_-

QUOTE(zachafer @ Nov 29 2006, 11:14 PM) View Post

agreed.

Your not the brightest chicken in the coup are you zachafer? A good piece of advice is to read what your posting before you post it. I don't know if you are trying to make a reputation here, or for what reason. The only reputation you have is a very bad one, which the only goal it will help you receive is a ban hammer. At first it was just funny to laugh at you, but now your just flat out annoying.

#15 zachafer

zachafer
  • 1566 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

Your not the brightest chicken in the coup are you zachafer? A good piece of advice is to read what your posting before you post it. I don't know if you are trying to make a reputation here, or for what reason. The only reputation you have is a very bad one, which the only goal it will help you receive is a ban hammer. At first it was just funny to laugh at you, but now your just flat out annoying.

well yes. i do fail most of my classes. i have gotten suspended 6 times this year (total of 9 days)
how did i not read b4 i posted?? all is said was no we would turn more communism ...
i hate bush
---
i was just stating that wa. state is really democratical?

#16 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE(zachafer @ Nov 30 2006, 08:06 AM) View Post

well yes. i do fail most of my classes. i have gotten suspended 6 times this year (total of 9 days)
how did i not read b4 i posted?? all is said was no we would turn more communism ...
i hate bush
---
i was just stating that wa. state is really democratical?

So you hate bush but you agree with his ideas? That's some very good logic their. And no you do not think before you post. If you thought before you posted then maybe your post would be a little insightful instead of just a waste of space. It is annoying now, just that simple.

And don't use failing and getting suspended as a excuse for being a moron. My best on line friend, who happens to be one of the best members of this community failed and got expelled, yet he is one of the smartest guys on this forum. Maybe you just lack both book smarts and street smarts. If that is the case, then its a shame.

Now I am a firm believer that when a kid acts like he has ADHD that they just need a good spanking, but in your case maybe a spanking and some ritalin

Edited by Marine, 30 November 2006 - 06:12 AM.

#17 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(zachafer @ Nov 29 2006, 11:14 PM) View Post

agreed.

*slaps* shut up before you know what you're talking about. I lived there and still do in december and the summer and I know damn well it's about 60% democrat. Or do you and your arrogant west side of the Cascades never even think about us Eastern part of Washington? Get a map.

Anyways to an extent people should have some public health care. The thing is we should NOT do it like Canada because they are having huge problems right now especially with even more extreme nurse shortages. Doctors and nurses both are getting underpaid so where do they go? The US instead. Anywhere where it's worse for the doctors to go, they will leave. For example in Washington because Gregoir and Cantwell are ignoring the need completely to have a Pain and Suffering cap on lawsuits in Washington State our malpractice insurance is extremely high so therefore our doctors are leaving us. The same thing would happen to a lesser extent probably if we moved to public health care.

Personally I think health insurance in general was a huge, huge mistake and is one of the prime reasons why health care is so expensive. Back in my father's years as a child i.e. 1950s they didn't have health insurance. The doctor only had a couple people working in his practice: himself and his nurses. He didn't need anyone to deal with the insurance companies and thus he didn't have to pay the expensive charges for insurance. My dad's family paid $5.00 in charges per house call which according to this site was worth $41.85. Now think of how much you have to pay for one now. Without insurance it is DOUBLE that cost assuming you don't have lab tests. To pay for a one hour session with a psychologist is that much as well. And I ask again, why is that? Simply it's the fact that doctors now have to pay people to deal with the insurance companies or they'd be out of business because of them.

Insurance if you look at your bill and then you look at how much you actually spend usually is making them big bucks. Why? They're a business of course and they will do the best to survive. The cases which you would be causing them negative gain are rare and few between such as cancer or a serious accident which is the prime reason people pay insurance companies in the first place, is it not? And sometimes they don't even cover that especially if you're only part time. But then say you DO get cancer. How much money did you pay the insurance companies before you got it? Wouldn't it be close to enough to pay for the cancer bills anyways if we had just set the money aside anyways? That was the case in my father's cancer.

What we need in this country is either extreme circumstance insurance ONLY i.e. heart transpant or cancer or full government control where aid is given based on seen need for it. Instead we should encourage people to set aside money for their health whenever they can. Also it could mean a higher tax rate but honestly I think that it would save us a hell of a lot more money than we are spending right now on health insurance AND this solution will not hurt the doctors very much especially if we also put a limit on the amount of lawsuits made against them. Everyone wins except the insurance companies and thus the American population would be happy since well... from what I hear almost everyone hates them anyways.

#18 illicit

illicit
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hm, I'd have to say yes. My family is pretty poor, and we have the lowest health care available, which conveniently ends once we turn 18. When my sister got Leukemia our health care only covered half of the cost sad.gif

Yeah, it would raise taxes, but the only people who would care about raised taxes for free health care are the truck heads who could pay for it, yet don't really want to help anyone else out. I can't say I blame them though, I don't give money to people poorer than me wink.gif

Edited by illicit, 30 November 2006 - 04:55 PM.

#19 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

hell no, lines are already too long at medical practices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users