Photo

Marijuana > Cigarettes

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Maleek

Maleek
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

What do you think is more dangerous Marijuana or Cigarettes?

Edited by iSmurf, 16 April 2007 - 05:40 PM.

#2 Maleek

Maleek
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

Well Mr. Simon i would have to say you are wrong, because in order to get the feeling of marijuana when you smoke you swallow the smoke which will give you lung cancer or lung disease faster than smoking a cigarette and just blowing it out.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(iSmurf @ Apr 16 2007, 06:42 PM) View Post
Well Mr. Simon i would have to say you are wrong, because in order to get the feeling of marijuana when you smoke you swallow the smoke which will give you lung cancer or lung disease faster than smoking a cigarette and just blowing it out.

Oh no you didn't. -z-snap-
You don't argue with Simon or Cody about these things. tongue.gif

#4 Tim

Tim
  • 2795 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(iSmurf @ Apr 16 2007, 08:42 PM) View Post

Prepare for a long informative essay on marijuana and how it isn't bad for your health.

#5 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(Tim @ Apr 16 2007, 09:47 PM) View Post
Prepare for a long informative essay on marijuana and how it isn't bad for your health.

I'm thinking he's gonna get pwned...

Anyway, I would think they're equal, but I'm sure they're not.

#6 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

...Swallow the air? Do you mean inhaling, which is exactly the same thing you do when you smoke a cigarette?

Marijuana isn't all that bad for you. AND you get an effect. I'd much rather get something out of destroying my lungs then doing it and feeling nothing thumbsup.gif

#7 Maleek

Maleek
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

Lol, even though marijuana is a herb that doesn't mean its healthy for instance you can go smoke leaves off of a apple tree i bet if you swallow the smoke you get some kind of lung disease and get high as a moda.

#8 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(SimonTheMime @ Apr 16 2007, 05:50 PM) View Post
Whatever, I'm not even gonna argue.

British drug classification group have been urging British government to reorder the classes, marijuana's under alcohol and cigarettes.

Yeah, as it very well should be. From what I've read, Marijuana isn't even close to as toxic to the brain as alcohol, yet my friends would much rather drink than smoke.

Destroying lungs > destroying liver.

#9 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

Cigarettes are worse for your health. You sound like a after school special iSmurf.

Wait for Cody. Then you will be crying from the pwnage. Seriously, proven fact. Cigarettes are more toxic, even though you hold weed in your lungs longer, cigarettes do much greater damage. Plus, when you smoke weed you do not smoke (the equivalent) an entire pack, as most do with cigarettes.

#10 Ender

Ender
  • 4323 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

Just to play the devil's advocate, my health teacher says that marijuana is worse because it has more chemicals. How so?

#11 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

Most weed has far less chemicals because it doe snot go through all the processing tobacco goes through. The way cigarettes are MADE makes them a lot worse for you than if you smoked a tobacco leaf.

#12 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

I think it's all pointless and stupid. Smoking anything is needless.

&& I heard that marijuana causes a person to lose brain cells. Well... I know it causes other
problems too... but yeah, brain cells.

#13 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(brookuslicious @ Apr 16 2007, 06:10 PM) View Post

&& I heard that marijuana causes a person to lose brain cells. Well... I know it causes other

So does drinking alcohol. wink.gif

I consider this a debate, so I'm moving this to debating section

#14 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(Sean @ Apr 16 2007, 06:16 PM) View Post
So does drinking alcohol. wink.gif

Oooh well good thing I don't drink alcohols either.

&& I'm sure alcohol only kills brain cells when someone drinks to excess, like getting DRUNK.//

Edited by brookuslicious, 16 April 2007 - 06:19 PM.

#15 Maleek

Maleek
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

Meh, most people smoke marijuana to relieve stress and just like the feeling to get high.

#16 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(iSmurf @ Apr 16 2007, 06:23 PM) View Post
Meh, most people smoke marijuana to relieve stress and just like the feeling to get high.

There are other ways to relieve stress.
That's just a stupid way.

#17 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

haha, Cody is going to pwn somebody... but cigarettes are definitely worse then marijuana because of all the tar and nicotine in cigs and THC isnt so bad. wink.gif Marijuana is a lifestyle, cigarettes are a killer.

#18 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(brookuslicious @ Apr 16 2007, 08:10 PM) View Post

It can, but so can staying in the sun too long, or reading in the dark, or any number of things. You're constantly loosing brain cells and getting new ones. Don't take too much stock in that fact as a deciding factor.

QUOTE(brookuslicious @ Apr 16 2007, 08:18 PM) View Post
Oooh well good thing I don't drink alcohols either.

&& I'm sure alcohol only kills brain cells when someone drinks to excess, like getting DRUNK.//
Correct, the same way marijuana works, and many other things. If you abuse it, you're screwing yourself.

---------Post Data Saved-------------------- Edit: Since the post from here on was made before this was in debating, just thought I'd tell you before you questioned the format.
Alright, in Cody's stead (since apparently he is the only drug expert on these forums anymore) I'll do my lightest just because I've got time.

1) Marijuana has none of the additives that tobacco has. Almost all cannabis growers grow their crops within enclosed facilities, eliminating the need for expensive (and eco-harmful) pesticides. The added benefit is that none of these pesticides end up in the final product, unlike tobacco, which often contains upwards of 4000 individual chemicals, some of which I've found on a very informative website (run by a cigarette company smile1.gif )
Benzene (petrol additive)
A colourless cyclic hydrocarbon obtained from coal and petroleum, used as a solvent in fuel and in chemical manufacture - and contained in cigarette smoke. It is a known carcinogen and is associated with leukaemia.

Formaldehyde (embalming fluid)
A colourless liquid, highly poisonous, used to preserve dead bodies - also found in cigarette smoke. Known to cause cancer, respiratory, skin and gastrointestinal problems.

Ammonia (toilet cleaner)
Used as a flavouring, frees nicotine from tobacco turning it into a gas, found in dry cleaning fluids.

Arsenic (rat poison), Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison)
Marijuana contains none of these chemicals.

2) Tobacco, whether in its natural state, or in its mass produced cigarette state, contains the addictive chemical nicotine. In addition to the plant's natural supply of nicotine, additional nicotine is sprayed on the crop as a pesticide. Medical studies have found the addiction potential of nicotine to be comparable to heroin, the most powerful opiate readily available for testing. Marijuana contains none of this chemical. In addition, marijuana contains no addictive substances (which is not to say that it cannot become addicting) and has no chemical way to addict someone. Basically, in a perfect human, you cannot become addicted to marijuana. Now, weakened minds (that is to say, depressed, disassociative, and/or psychologically damaged minds) have a higher chance to abuse marijuana, but they have a higher chance to abuse any substance, and it is not clinically correct to label marijuana addictive because one person had trained their mind to think they were addicted.

3) On the issue of Tar (link), it is correct that both contain the substance. However, it has been medically proven that in equal amounts of tobacco and marijuana, the tobacco contained more tar. But furthermore, let us examine how often someone uses each product. The lightest smokers of tobacco probably smoke a half pack a day; the heaviest, perhaps two full packs (with exceptions at both ends). The lightest marijuana smoker smokes perhaps once a month, and that might not even be comparable to a single cigarette's worth of tar. The heaviest might consume two cigarette's worth of marijuana in a day, which is much less than even light smokers of tobacco. Thus we can see that marijuana users consume an infinitesimal amount of Tar compared to tobacco users.

4) The issue of health related side effects for marijuana can be completely avoided if you use a vaporizer. See my handy quote for more information about healthy consumption of herbs
Cannabis vaporizers are designed to let users inhale active cannabinoids while avoiding harmful smoke toxins. They do so by heating cannabis to a temperature of 180 - 200° C (356° - 392° F), just below the point of combustion where smoke is produced. At this point, THC and other medically active cannabinoids are emitted with little or none of the carcinogenic tars and noxious gases found in smoke.
Source

If that isn't enough to convince you of the superiority of marijuana, you're simply biased because one is legal and the other is not.

If you've got questions about the legality of marijuana, I can tell you why it is illegal as well, and its not for the reasons you think wink.gif

#19 Maleek

Maleek
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

Ok, Since you want to continue tell me the illegality of marijuana. Plus why does marijuana turn your lips and gums black and cigarettes make your teeth yellow and your breath smell stink. <.<

#20 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Well, inhaling any smoke voluntarily will discolor your teeth and gums, but I've never heard of black lips. Perhaps the example you saw was wearing makeup?

On the issue of stinky breath, its because you are literally exhaling smoke. Ever smelled something burning in the kitchen? Or worse, something like human hair burning? Imagine that smell coming out of your mouth, and you've got the same thing, just slightly different because of what has been burned.

Marijuana is illegal because it is more useful than the cotton and lumber industries combined. Back in the twenties, hemp was still legal, and it was used for better, cheaper clothes than cotton could produce. Much the same, it produced better, cheaper paper than the lumber industry could make. Those two big industries combined forces to create what is now known as 'Reefer Madness', an 'educational' film that spread lies and deceitful manipulations of facts about marijuana to the populace, in hopes that not only would consumption be outlawed, but that the plant altogether would be as well. Because hemp (marijuana without the active ingredient THC) is indistinguishable from active marijuana without expensive laboratory equipment, it would have been impossible for congress to ban just the smokable plant, so they banned all marijuana strains altogether, which pleased the lumber and cotton industries, as they made more money, and pleased the populace, as they thought they were protecting their children from a harmful drug. Much the latter could be shown to be true.

If you have more questions, just ask.

#21 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

Patrick, I <3 you.

#22 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Josh @ Apr 16 2007, 07:05 PM) View Post
I don't do either (Cause I'm not stupid), but from what I know cigarettes are a lot more dangerous than Marijuana.

Carl Sagan smoked a lot of weed, was he stupid?
http://www.marijuana...essays/002.html

Read that essay about marijuana written by Carl Sagan.
Marijuana is a wonderful thing if you don't abuse it. I've noticed that I've become more relaxed about life, I'm not as obsessive/compulsive. I've gained an appreciation for the arts and have tried to hand draw a few times since I've started. I've started truly listening to music and imagine the music in my head, imagining the guitar and the drums and the piano. I've even had urges to learn like I never had before.

"Cannabis enables nonmusicians to know a little about what it is like to be a musician, and nonartists to grasp the joys of art."
"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."
Carl Sagan, R.I.P.

#23 philywilly

philywilly
  • 1656 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

First of all, both aren't good for you, that's for sure. Second, I really don't know for a fact which is worst, although I would definatly think it's cigarettes. But a main reason why cigarettes would be worst is the fact that most smokers will go through a pack or more a day, compared to weed smokers who will most likely be smoking much less in a day.

#24 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

puff for puff, marijuana is better for you. If you smoke the same amount of marijuana as you do cigarettes, cigarettes are better.

#25 Cam

Cam
  • 1690 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

Marijuana is illegal and costs alot more than ciigarettes.. Ehh ehhh smile.gif

Yeah now I'm pwnage!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users