Quantcast

Photo

Should those that carry genetically transmitted diseases be allowed to reproduce?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

For instance, should those that carry genetic disabilities like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), long-QT syndrome (LQTS), and Marfan syndrome (MFS) be allowed to reproduce and thus pass on the genes?

My own opinion later.

#2 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

They should have to go through gene therapy and if the chances are 50% and up i would advise them not to have children but if they want children i dont think you should take away their right to have one. I guess it is sad though. dry.gif

#3 Black Flame

Black Flame
  • 6063 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

Ahhhh!! Make the big words stop!! tongue.gif

Seriously though, they should get checked for any diseases first(is that gene therapy like Freddy said? can't remember). I depends on the genetic disease though. If it is something that will make the child miserable for the rest of his/her life, then no. If it isn't that severe, then maybe yes.

#4 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

Aha... now this is a very very hard thing to decide. See with a lot of the diseases you listed... yes, they are genetic and they will have carriers and those effected by them and it's absolutely horrible when they do have the condition however not ALL of the offspring that people have usually have this disorder. The thing also with a lot of those diseases you listed are like Huntington's and do not really cause a lot of people severe enough problems that they die extremely young ages (that is... most of the time). The people can still make something of themselves and we're more and more helping get cures for these types. Like cystic fibrosis being able to be controlled. I truly think that while yes, they are somewhat "poisoning" the genetic crop they should have the choice to decide if they want to take the chance or not of having a healthy baby. Personally if I knew I could potentially pass this down to my children I wouldn't do it, but perhaps this is hypocritical of me. I know almost without a doubt that I will get cancer sometime and I'll probably die of it without signifigant advances in medicine but I still want children knowing that I will probably pass down my genetic imperfections to them as well. Perhaps it is because I know that they will not suffer before the cancer onsets. I just don't know. It's just such a personal thing that I don't think anyone should regulate it like that especially since it is not 100% that the child will get it 1we8.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users