Economic Views

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

What are your beliefs as to what economic system works best?

I myself am very aligned with the beliefs of Milton Friedman and F.A. Hayek, that the less government involvement, the better. The main arguments I hear is that libertarian economics = conservatism, theres more a chance of anarchy, and corporations will take over the world.

My arguments against those:

1) Libertarian economics = conservatism. Untrue. Although libertarian beliefs play a role in conservative economics, the main difference is that libertarians are far more socially liberal.
2) Libertarian = anarchy. Again, not true. It's still for regulation; they're just minimalists.
3) Libertarian = corporations will take over. This is possible, but if the government had minimal involvement in businesses, theres less a chance of corruption.

#2 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

I believe Capitalism is the best conomic system.
It tends that they increase inequality for everybody. Since the economy has no boundary inequality can go on all the time, which means that there is an even distribution of wealth. To be a better company and to obtain money (which is what everybody wants) you have to go to the masses of people. These average people are the people that the business owners target to make their money. A point that is rarely viewed is that businesses complete for customers AND employees. (More pay???)
Less gov't ftw?

These are my ignorant views on Capitalism that probably makes absolutely no sense to you...

#3 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(Athean @ Aug 3 2007, 09:50 PM) View Post
What are your beliefs as to what economic system works best?

I myself am very aligned with the beliefs of Milton Friedman and F.A. Hayek, that the less government involvement, the better. The main arguments I hear is that libertarian economics = conservatism, theres more a chance of anarchy, and corporations will take over the world.

My arguments against those:

1) Libertarian economics = conservatism. Untrue. Although libertarian beliefs play a role in conservative economics, the main difference is that libertarians are far more socially liberal.
2) Libertarian = anarchy. Again, not true. It's still for regulation; they're just minimalists.
3) Libertarian = corporations will take over. This is possible, but if the government had minimal involvement in businesses, theres less a chance of corruption.

I like libertarians, but they've got to do something for their image regarding conservative economics. Actually, we really shouldn't even call what the republican party is doing 'conservative' economics, because it is quite interventionist. Anyway, I love Friedman, and have used his policy in my debating quite often.

What I always hear when discussing libertarianism is that government and business will eventually merge, if not in name, at least in leadership and control. The sad fact is, that is happening not with a libertarian, but with a republican. Perhaps we need more libertarians to spread their views in earnest so people stop misinterpreting their beliefs.

Alas, I digress. Seriously.

#4 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(redlion @ Aug 3 2007, 09:05 PM) View Post
I like libertarians, but they've got to do something for their image regarding conservative economics. Actually, we really shouldn't even call what the republican party is doing 'conservative' economics, because it is quite interventionist. Anyway, I love Friedman, and have used his policy in my debating quite often.

What I always hear when discussing libertarianism is that government and business will eventually merge, if not in name, at least in leadership and control. The sad fact is, that is happening not with a libertarian, but with a republican. Perhaps we need more libertarians to spread their views in earnest so people stop misinterpreting their beliefs.

Alas, I digress. Seriously.

I consider myself more classical liberal than anything. Adam Smith is a prime example of this. You cannot bring more equality unless you have more freedom, and thats what both parties fail to understand in regards to economics. One assumes that corporations do it because theyre evil in nature, but its because the corporations have such a big grip on politicians (who now have far more power than they ever did). The other has their heart in the right place as far as the economy goes, but they fail to realize that economics is not just about money: it's about the state of the world, and also the impact of liberty on economic prosperity. They also fail to do anything because they're too lazy to even try to get approval of its citizens, seeing as they have so much power.

Another problem is the fact it went from being states, towns, counties and districts who made the decisions, to the federal government who made decisions. Look at Hong Kong. It takes under a day to open a business up. You fill out one or two forms regarding basic information, and you go from there. It allows for small businesses and corporations to thrive, something thought unimaginable by the democrats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users