Sciencists break the speed of light !

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:49 PM

A principle element of Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity is that the speed of light cannot be broken. Until today that it. Two German physicists have allegedly been able force light to break its own speed threshold (186,000 mi/sec) in one of their experiments.

The experiments centered on the movement of highly charged packets of light called microwave photons. These photons were moved through two prisms which were eventually separated.

While most of the photons bounced off the first prism they hit, a few were able to get through because of quantum tunneling, an event where particles are charged to the point that it can penetrate an obstacle or barrier.

These rogue packets of light had to travel farther than those that were bounced of the prism to get to the machine collecting the data. Theoretically, one should arrive before the other; however, all the packets arrived at the same time. This indicates a discrepancy in speed between both the reflected and tunneling packets, thus leading the scientists to believe that the latter was actually moving faster than the speed of light.

If this experiment can be reproduced and confirmed, then it could change the laws of Physics as we know it considering a lot of the theories have been based on the assumption that the light speed "barrier" cannot be surpassed.

Source: Click me

#2 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

aww not proven? sad.gif Still, this is another step further in science

#3 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:46 AM

wow, I love stuff like this. Makes me wonder what else scientists achieve that we DON'T get told about though blink.gif

#4 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE(Raui @ Aug 17 2007, 12:49 AM) View Post
Source: Click me

Yeah, and Iran cured AIDS. Point? It's good to be skeptical.

#5 Stevo

Stevo
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(Athean @ Aug 17 2007, 04:50 AM) View Post
Yeah, and Iran cured AIDS. Point? It's good to be skeptical.

Lol! I personally don't believe anything unless they're 100% sure and/or it was on the new or something. If they did break the barrier good for them. If not, too bad! tongue.gif

#6 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:15 AM

i did a report on something similar to this once, where i theorized the existence of an anti-verse.

but Einstein's Theory can go both ways, and people don't realize it. although it states that "the speed of light can't be broken", it also means that if something is already going faster than the speed of light (like Tachyons, for instance), then it cannot break the plane and go slower than that speed.

#7 spottedtiger

spottedtiger
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:22 AM

hmm this is very interesting... i can't wait till someone either proves or disproves it tongue.gif

#8 Greeny

Greeny
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:43 AM

mad, were doing light in science atm, and we were talking about speed of light. If you could launch a space rocket faster than the speed of light, you would see your rocket taking off from earth our teacher said...

#9 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE(Greeny @ Aug 17 2007, 01:43 PM) View Post
mad, were doing light in science atm, and we were talking about speed of light. If you could launch a space rocket faster than the speed of light, you would see your rocket taking off from earth our teacher said...

There is no way you would see it...it would just be too fast.

Not only that but if you were too close it deafen you as it broke the sound barrier (sonic boom) tongue.gif

#10 Stevo

Stevo
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(Kitsune @ Aug 17 2007, 05:15 AM) View Post
Stevo, there's very few things that are known to be 100% proven correct, and even then I'd still put a tiny bit of doubt it it. It's why there aren't that many laws in science. Not enough is known for us to be certain.

And dear god did you just say you basically beleive everything on the news? Geez no wonder people are so ingorant all the time if that's the case. I don't mean to offend you in any way but, please, PLEASE don't ever just beleive something because it's on the news. The general/popular media is one of the worst sources of real information out there in my opinion.

Really... No wonder people always prove me wrong at school! blink.gif  That's the last time I watch E! News lol!

#11 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(murderkill @ Aug 17 2007, 06:15 AM) View Post
i did a report on something similar to this once, where i theorized the existence of an anti-verse.

but Einstein's Theory can go both ways, and people don't realize it. although it states that "the speed of light can't be broken", it also means that if something is already going faster than the speed of light (like Tachyons, for instance), then it cannot break the plane and go slower than that speed.

Nothing just starts going at a speed. It's called acceleration xD

#12 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

Well from what I know about the speed of light and time and space and etc... when you travel faster then it means you're essentially traveling into the future. So if the latter photons were traveling faster than the SOL they would also have to be in front of the earlier photons right? And not arrive at the same time... I'm probably wrong but this sounds really interesting and if it's proven it will change a lot of things.

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Sean @ Aug 17 2007, 04:52 PM) View Post
Nothing just starts going at a speed. It's called acceleration xD

Sorry Sean, that's totally wrong tongue.gif
Case in point: light. Light is always moving at the speed of light. (Obviously tongue.gif)
And, though you may never have heard of them, the theoretical particle called a tachyon. My, wouldn't we like to find one of those... they speed up as they lose energy tongue.gif

And since this experiment was based on a quantum effect, I would be willing to bet that the observations were based on the assumption of the inexistence of a probability field.

#14 Gen

Gen
  • Ye old gen

• 1871 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:55 PM

The only problem is that Einstein did those experiments a long time ago, when they didn't have enough technology to make better experiments, with the technology, the globalism and the information of our century/age, we can do alot more things and maybe even break some laws, somethings are very uncertainty, one day can be there, and in the next day someone discover a thing and everything changes...

#15 cx323

cx323
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

http://arstechnica.c...t-think-so.html

the above links talks about why its not true

#16 Rikku

Rikku
  • 2109 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Cody @ Aug 18 2007, 09:56 PM) View Post
don't believe everything you read. wink.gif

or hear for that matter..

but stilll if this was an actual discovery, and scientists would think it was possible it would be everywhere.... but as it wasn't im guesssing it was majorly overlooked (highly unlikely) or it is just someone claiming to have done somethig they really didn't

#17 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:51 PM

Can't we just assume that they broke the speed of light, whyisit there is always some dipshit wanting to rain on the parade of possible scientific breakthroughs. there's no such thing as concrete proof that something is impossible, so lets just try and prove it is possible.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(Warlord @ Aug 20 2007, 07:51 AM) View Post
Can't we just assume that they broke the speed of light, whyisit there is always some dipshit wanting to rain on the parade of possible scientific breakthroughs. there's no such thing as concrete proof that something is impossible, so lets just try and prove it is possible.

You've got it backwards.
The only thing we can prove is that something isn't true.

#19 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ Aug 20 2007, 05:11 AM) View Post
You've got it backwards.
The only thing we can prove is that something isn't true.

Really? You can prove without a doubt that it is impossible to break the speed of light, would somebody get this guy a nobel prize?

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(Warlord @ Aug 20 2007, 11:26 AM) View Post
Really? You can prove without a doubt that it is impossible to break the speed of light, would somebody get this guy a nobel prize?

I didn't say "prove that something is impossible". I said "prove that something isn't true".

Take a theory. Any scientifically-valid theory.
It is impossible to prove it. It is only possible to disprove it.

#21 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ Aug 20 2007, 05:31 AM) View Post
I didn't say "prove that something is impossible". I said "prove that something isn't true".

Take a theory. Any scientifically-valid theory.
It is impossible to prove it. It is only possible to disprove it.

I've tried to explain it to people hundreds of times.

It IS impossible to prove something FALSE. Simple testing could yield one instance where the law fails. This means the law is NOT TRUE (false). However. You can do a million test that support a law. This does not mean it is true. Germany could come out with some sick ass experiment that causes the law fail under certain conditions. Then it is no longer a law.

In short. Prove it a million times. It only has to fail one time to be proven wrong.

#22 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Aug 20 2007, 08:56 AM) View Post
I've tried to explain it to people hundreds of times.

It IS impossible to prove something FALSE. Simple testing could yield one instance where the law fails. This means the law is NOT TRUE (false). However. You can do a million test that support a law. This does not mean it is true. Germany could come out with some sick ass experiment that causes the law fail under certain conditions. Then it is no longer a law.

In short. Prove it a million times. It only has to fail one time to be proven wrong.

Popper's black swan theory anyone? tongue.gif

Nothing is definite. Despite what math teachers may tell you laugh.gif

This would be an interesting breakthrough, perhaps even amazing. Though, I'll remain skeptical until further testing to confirm the initial thoughts.

#23 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

just like the tobacco industry. you don't have to be right, you just have to prove the other guy wrong tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users