Photo

DSL booster

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Insanedragonz

Insanedragonz
  • 3011 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

Anyone know a good DSL booster that compatible with Vista? I have DSL connection but my download speed is ike 80kb/sec which is very crappy. I even called in my ISP and they said I am running at a good speed. It's just WTF that my friend got the same services and his download speed is double mine unsure.gif

#2 Neo

Neo
  • 2032 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(InsaneFly @ Dec 3 2007, 04:12 AM) View Post
Anyone know a good DSL booster that compatible with Vista? I have DSL connection but my download speed is ike 80kb/sec which is very crappy. I even called in my ISP and they said I am running at a good speed. It's just WTF that my friend got the same services and his download speed is double mine unsure.gif

I wish I had something that did that, I'm paying for 8mb connection which means I should be getting in the mid hundreds kb/sec download speed probably. I'm getting a download speed of 80kb/sec also, paying over £25 a month ($50) with who is considered one of the best ISP's in the U.K. It just pisses me off so much, the phone line right next to us has a 2mb connection and gets 250kb/sex download WTF?!

I'm moving to cable, if the DSL sucks there is not much that can be done I've found dry.gif

#3 havocide3

havocide3
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(Neo/Kai @ Dec 2 2007, 10:19 PM) View Post
I wish I had something that did that, I'm paying for 8mb connection which means I should be getting in the mid hundreds kb/sec download speed probably. I'm getting a download speed of 80kb/sec also, paying over £25 a month ($50) with who is considered one of the best ISP's in the U.K. It just pisses me off so much, the phone line right next to us has a 2mb connection and gets 250kb/sex download WTF?!

I'm moving to cable, if the DSL sucks there is not much that can be done I've found dry.gif

Uh, if you're paying for 512kb/s service, you're getting a fast speed for your line. Remember, when they say like "6 MBPS SPEEDS LOLLERSK8S!" they mean 6 megaBITs per second, and 1 byte = 8 bits. Meaning with perfect line conditions, next door to a junction box, you'll get 750kbps.

Edited by havocide3, 02 December 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(havocide3 @ Dec 3 2007, 04:24 AM) View Post
Uh, if you're paying for 512kb/s service, you're getting a fast speed for your line. Remember, when they say like "6 MBPS SPEEDS LOLLERSK8S!" they mean 6 megaBITs per second, and 1 byte = 1 bit. Meaning with perfect line conditions, next door to a junction box, you'll get 750kbps.

1byte =/= 1bit blink.gif

1byte = 8bits

#5 havocide3

havocide3
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ Dec 2 2007, 10:50 PM) View Post
1byte =/= 1bit blink.gif

1byte = 8bits

Oh sorry, I did the right math, but typed the wrong equation. My bad... fixed tongue.gif

#6 Insanedragonz

Insanedragonz
  • 3011 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

I am not really complain about the speed but I paid the same price like other guy but get only half of the download speed. Maybe it has something to do with the modem?

#7 Neo

Neo
  • 2032 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE(havocide3 @ Dec 3 2007, 04:24 AM) View Post
Uh, if you're paying for 512kb/s service, you're getting a fast speed for your line. Remember, when they say like "6 MBPS SPEEDS LOLLERSK8S!" they mean 6 megaBITs per second, and 1 byte = 8 bits. Meaning with perfect line conditions, next door to a junction box, you'll get 750kbps.

I fail to see how I am getting a fast speed for my line, I am paying an extra £10 ($20) than the line that is next to us ( goes on the exact same journey to the exchange) and they get over 3x the download speed. Also I get on average 37 disconnections ( each lasting a minute or two per day.......It got so annoying I counted over two weeks and averaged 1we8.gif ) I have never ever seen the line next to us disconnect.

#8 shabba

shabba

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:34 AM

Who is your ISP with? Its because you are too far away from the exchange. The further away you are the lower speed you will get. I am with Virgin Media, and they are great I really recommend them. Although you do have to buy your own router. I recommend a Linksys DSL one. WRT54G

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(shabba @ Dec 3 2007, 03:34 PM) View Post
Who is your ISP with? Its because you are too far away from the exchange. The further away you are the lower speed you will get. I am with Virgin Media, and they are great I really recommend them. Although you do have to buy your own router. I recommend a Linksys DSL one. WRT54G

Cable (what Virgin Media uses) doesn't get slower if you're further away from the exchange but ADSL does (which is what BT etc use). Then again cable users can get slowed down if lots of people in their area are using the internet whereas that doesn't happen with ADSL. Swings and roundabouts I guess. tongue.gif

#10 Hazard

Hazard
  • 3424 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(Laser Wave @ Dec 3 2007, 02:38 PM) View Post
Cable (what Virgin Media uses) doesn't get slower if you're further away from the exchange but ADSL does (which is what BT etc use). Then again cable users can get slowed down if lots of people in their area are using the internet whereas that doesn't happen with ADSL. Swings and roundabouts I guess. tongue.gif

I use virgin media aswell...what package? How do you know what speed your downloading at sad.gif

#11 Neo

Neo
  • 2032 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

Yeah I live pretty far away from the exchange dry.gif

This is why I am switching to cable, I doubt lots of people using it would make it even half as slow as it is now with ADSL.

#12 havocide3

havocide3
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

If you are getting a slow speed or frequent disconnections, you could have bad wires in your house or at the cable junction box even. Try to call your ISP and see if they can run a line check (over the phone) and if needed be, explain the situation etc.

I was having line disconnects every 30 minutes or so and called them and they came, changed my lines in the junction box, and bam, faster speeds, more stable, and all around better... also lower latency (lag as it's commonly referred to).

Yay tongue.gif

#13 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:41 AM

Virgin Media are pretty good. I got the 20mb connection and its actually pretty good thumbsup.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users