• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

So I hear everyone on the gd Internet bitching about how much vista sucks.

Why?

I absolutely love so much about it. It is a lot more appealing to my eyes, everything loads a lot faster. I can play games in window mode and keep a decent fps with minor lag, depending entirely on the Internet connection.

With XP everything is way to bright, no matter what skins I use. I can't play any games in window mode without having terrible lag and problems tabing back and forth, and even when not in window mode their is still a lot of lag.

The only problem I have with Vista is the bull shit click something, black screen, click something else, open the file. That sucks, but if that's the worst for such a boast in performance, it's well worth it, imo.

I reinstalled xp now just so I could run that item database program for codex, but now I'm seeing why I love vista so much.

So, why is vista so bad compared to xp?

#2 fruglemonkey

fruglemonkey
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

Alot of programs don't support vista.

#3 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

They complain about it cause they're know-it-all hobbits who think they know everything about computers and for some reason think that the people at Microsoft are bunch of hicks who know nothing about computers. I hate people who complain about it right off the bat. dry.gif

QUOTE(fruglemonkey @ Jan 1 2008, 07:17 PM) View Post

I'm pretty sure there are programs that let you run 32 bit software on vista.

#4 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(fruglemonkey @ Jan 1 2008, 07:17 PM) View Post

Like which ones? Most of them have been upgraded and all compatibility issues should have been settled by now...

As for that black screen confirmation, you can turn that off if you don't like it. It's not that great security wise but it won't annoy you anymore. Honestly, Vista's new security measures are really annoying and they could have done a better job. I like the ubuntu and linux style where if you do a sudo command and enter in your pass, for the next 5 minutes after your last sudo command, it won't ask for a password.

As for the database thing for Neocodex...once we move to java, we can just run on the virtual machine allowing for instant portability to any OS. The reason it doesn't work right now is probably because of some libraries which don't work or something...i don't really know tongue.gif.

#5 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

As far as Neocodex programs go, I couldn't get any to work when I had vista.

I changed to xp and boom download three things and everything is good.

#6 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(Marine @ Jan 1 2008, 07:10 PM) View Post
So, why is vista so bad compared to xp?

Its not, I still havent really hard a good reason why its bad unless your hardware is horrible, or isnt compatible. I've been running Vista since beta stages and havent had a problem yet. Any type of "problem" you may run into is most likely the developers fault for not having proper support, even then a lot of the time there are ways to get the programs working

Some cry about gaming performance being lower than XP. True but the differences are pretty small now and they're shrinking. The image quality is actually a little bit better on Vista and has DX10 support. So I think the pro's outrun the con's

QUOTE(FlashGM @ Jan 1 2008, 07:19 PM) View Post
They complain about it cause they're know-it-all hobbits who think they know everything about computers and for some reason think that the people at Microsoft are bunch of hicks who know nothing about computers. I hate people who complain about it right off the bat. dry.gif

hahaha, true smile.gif

Edited by Fatal, 02 January 2008 - 03:44 AM.

#7 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:10 AM

i am running vista, as my main PC, and it's ok - there are a few things i don't like about it and not much that i prefer over previous versions, the biggest was that it's quite a bit different in places just to anoy you.

however you can get all the programs released here working on vista, you just need to make sure all the runtimes are installed.

and as long as you remember that if you can't find the thing you're looking for in program files, it's going to be in {user.home}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\

it took me a while to find that LOL

#8 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:47 AM

yeah, it does seem weird, and i'd have to agree with marine a lot about the brightness tongue.gif

the laptop which i bought for my wife a couple months back runs on vista, and my pc which i'm always on uses xp.

i like both, and although i do dislike a few of the settings about vista (mainly annoyances), i really don't see what all the fuss is about. it runs fine for me, and although it does seem to be a little harder to find shit, i don't understand why people would spend money to downgrade. i mean, isn't vista just like window's version of a mac's os? i dunno, since i don't like macs....

hell, maybe microsoft users just hated mac tongue.gif

#9 Jackus

Jackus
  • 704 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

I with XP til mid year...
then i'l upgrade

#10 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Jan 1 2008, 09:53 PM) View Post
As for that black screen confirmation, you can turn that off if you don't like it. It's not that great security wise but it won't annoy you anymore.

Do you happen to know how? O.O I've played around with security settings and such, but seeing as I don't actually know what the confirmation is doing it's hard to turn it off. Makes it hard to Google it too.tongue.gif

#11 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Marine @ Jan 2 2008, 09:33 AM) View Post
Do you happen to know how? O.O I've played around with security settings and such, but seeing as I don't actually know what the confirmation is doing it's hard to turn it off. Makes it hard to Google it too.tongue.gif

I don't have access to a vista PC unless I am at work so nope, sorry. Just keep looking. They may have made it hard to find tongue.gif. Can't you search through settings?

#12 Germ

Germ
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

I wish my computer could support Vista. The only problem my brother has with it is many hacks for games such as Maplestory and Gunbound do not work. Other then that, Vista is great and I also hate it how people say Microsoft and their products suck.

#13 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Jan 2 2008, 08:11 PM) View Post
I don't have access to a vista PC unless I am at work so nope, sorry. Just keep looking. They may have made it hard to find tongue.gif . Can't you search through settings?

Yeah, I can look threw the security settings, but not knowing what it's actually called is the issue. It doesn't say, "HEY I'M THE BLACK SCREEN THAT PISSES YOU OFF" sad.gif

The only real security features you can mess with is the firewall, and that's not it.

#14 Shin

Shin
  • 1586 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

Vista makes my AoE3 and NFS Carbon freeze every 5 seconds. Something about my graphics card not compatible with Vista? (Even though ATI says it is)

EDIT: And Simcity Societies, too.

Edited by shin, 03 January 2008 - 09:36 AM.

#15 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

Try ending the "Windows Defender User Interface" process dunno if it would help with the gay black screen of gayness.

But personaly i love my new vista laptop everything loads so much faster, but i cant get the neocodex programs working on it.

#16 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

What is this "black screen" you guys speak of. I've always had Windows Defender and UAC disabled from the start so maybe I dont know about it..........

QUOTE(shin @ Jan 3 2008, 10:30 AM) View Post
Vista makes my AoE3 and NFS Carbon freeze every 5 seconds. Something about my graphics card not compatible with Vista? (Even though ATI says it is)

EDIT: And Simcity Societies, too.

which video card do you have?

Edited by Fatal, 03 January 2008 - 10:56 PM.

#17 Shin

Shin
  • 1586 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Fatal @ Jan 4 2008, 01:57 AM) View Post
What is this "black screen" you guys speak of. I've always had Windows Defender and UAC disabled from the start so maybe I dont know about it..........
which video card do you have?

ATI Radeon x1300

#18 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(shin @ Jan 4 2008, 11:01 AM) View Post
ATI Radeon x1300

hmm strange then, jw but how do you even play games like that on a x1300? tongue.gif all low?

#19 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Marine @ Jan 2 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post
Yeah, I can look threw the security settings, but not knowing what it's actually called is the issue. It doesn't say, "HEY I'M THE BLACK SCREEN THAT PISSES YOU OFF" sad.gif

The only real security features you can mess with is the firewall, and that's not it.

I go back to work on Monday and so I can check it out for you there. I'll let you know once I find out smile.gif.

#20 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Jan 5 2008, 12:01 AM) View Post
I go back to work on Monday and so I can check it out for you there. I'll let you know once I find out smile.gif .

I found it. : > Thanks though

It was the windows defender. : >

#21 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(Marine @ Jan 4 2008, 10:17 PM) View Post
I found it. : > Thanks though
It was the windows defender. : >

Ah cool smile.gif. It kinda defeats the purpose though by having it off...it's like this get a mac ad:

#22 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Let me point out another nice thing about vista tongue.gif - My onboard sound card doesnt have real surround sound support in the drivers unless you install Vista. Its purely a driver thing and nothing to do with an XP limitation but still tongue.gif, just found this out about 10 minutes ago

#23 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(Fatal @ Jan 6 2008, 10:50 AM) View Post
Let me point out another nice thing about vista tongue.gif - My onboard sound card doesnt have real surround sound support in the drivers unless you install Vista. Its purely a driver thing and nothing to do with an XP limitation but still tongue.gif, just found this out about 10 minutes ago

But does the credit for that go to Vista or to the updated software (driver) for the sound card? tongue.gif Don't get me wrong...vista is cool tongue.gif.

#24 'B'

'B'
  • 934 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Vista#Criticism

pretty much sums it up..but mainly i hate DRM

and the eye candy distracts me...seriously..i can't keep track of my windows for some reason with so much eye candy..

Edited by CodeDreamer, 07 January 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#25 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Jan 7 2008, 02:29 AM) View Post
But does the credit for that go to Vista or to the updated software (driver) for the sound card? tongue.gif Don't get me wrong...vista is cool tongue.gif.

point was in that case it has BETTER support for that onboard card than XP making it > all tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users