ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

I just don't listen to it. I like perfect silence. Is this bad? ohmy.gif

#2 GamerAsh

GamerAsh
  • 2350 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

Not really. But it could describe what kind of person you are?

Do you like to have fun? I believe music if a culture of fun in alot of cases.

#3 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

I like to have fun, but music just seems to get annoying most of the time.

#4 Lawivido

Lawivido
  • iOS Hacker

• 2018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

Oh my. First person I've ever come across that doesn't listen to music. Perhaps you've yet to find a style that you appreciate?

#5 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (Lawivido @ Feb 19 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my. First person I've ever come across that doesn't listen to music. Perhaps you've yet to find a style that you appreciate?

I don't really listen to it either. I'm with toxic here in that I just prefer silence... Music makes things seem too...hifey lookaround.gif

#6 chalupabatman

chalupabatman
  • 209 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

I seem to concentrate better when music is playing. That is why I listen to music.

#7 Qaz

Qaz
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

I can't say that liking silence is a bad thing , but you definitely are the 1st person that doesn't listen to music, that I know of.
I wouldn't be able to live without music, but that's just me. If you silence, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that.

Maybe you just haven't found the right type of music. You should try experimenting with various types of music and artists.
You might one day look back at this topic and say " I can't believe I didn't like music!"
Give it a chance.

#8 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (darkkey @ Feb 19 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to concentrate better when music is playing. That is why I listen to music.

Really? ohmy.gif I can't concentrate at all if there is any noise around me ohmy.gif.

#9 Blizzard

Blizzard
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:55 PM

I think its totally ok to not listen to music.
Though I don't really listen to music that much, but I don't mind a little eurodance now and there. tongue.gif

Edited by Blizzard, 19 February 2008 - 06:56 PM.

#10 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Toxic-Snipe @ Feb 19 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't even imagine life without music, more so than any art I can think of, off hand. Also, you are the first person I've ever heard of that didn't listen to music, as well. Mind boggling!

#11 GamerAsh

GamerAsh
  • 2350 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 20 2008, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? ohmy.gif I can't concentrate at all if there is any noise around me ohmy.gif .

You've crushed my dreams sad.gif The creator of Codex dosn't listen to music. crybaby.gif

I also work better with music on, especially when doing assignments.

#12 T3cHniC

T3cHniC
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (GamerAsh @ Feb 19 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've crushed my dreams sad.gif The creator of Codex dosn't listen to music. crybaby.gif

Yeah I like music when i work on certain things. But when I'm gaming like DOD:S or BF2142 I can't have it. I need to hear the shooting lol
Like it's just better to hear it. blink.gif I fear I'm to violent at some points. But it is ok because I joined the Marines. thumbsup.gif

#13 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (T3cHniC @ Feb 19 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I like music when i work on certain things. But when I'm gaming like DOD:S or BF2142 I can't have it. I need to hear the shooting lol
Like it's just better to hear it. blink.gif I fear I'm to violent at some points. But it is ok because I joined the Marines. thumbsup.gif

Did you know that veterans barely get any help from the u.s government? gl man sad.gif

#14 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (T3cHniC @ Feb 19 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, good for you for doing something noble like that and joining a cause to protect our country. Regardless of whether or not someonet thinks the troops actually protect our country is irrelevant because that is an administrative decision from the President's office. The individual marine, soldier, pilot or whoever is always working in the best interests of the country. So good for you!

With that said, even if you have joined the Marines, make sure to not become a slave to violence and keep your sanity. You may want to serve your country, but at the same time, you don't want to lose who you are, yeah? thumbsup.gif

And what you said is very true. In some situations, extra noise is just not needed tongue.gif.

QUOTE (GamerAsh @ Feb 19 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Considering the kinds of music being released these days, I would say I'm better off without it tongue.gif.

I don't mind the music if it's soft, lyricless and slow paced, but even then, I prefer that it isn't there. I just like my peace and quiet and being with my own thoughts. When I am working on something, I want to be able to concentrate on what I'm doing rather than listening to what is coming out of my speakers.

I find that not being addicted to music makes me more calm and peaceful. This isn't something to do with music itself I don't think but maybe something to do with the style of music being released today. Our lives are very fast paced and our music reflects that. If you listen to very fast paced music, I think this has an effect on you and your daily routine and how much time you feel there is to get things done.

I prefer to lead a very calm and serene life...that's all tongue.gif. I don't need the extra stress tongue.gif.

This is just me. You should do whatever the hell you want tongue.gif.

#15 philywilly

philywilly
  • 1656 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

I'm not able to imagine my life without music. This may be because I'm a drummer. But it's so hard to just not listen to music when it's all around you. There's nothing better then a few of your favourite tunes on your way to school/work in the morning.

#16 GamerAsh

GamerAsh
  • 2350 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 20 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, good for you for doing something noble like that and joining a cause to protect our country. Regardless of whether or not someonet thinks the troops actually protect our country is irrelevant because that is an administrative decision from the President's office. The individual marine, soldier, pilot or whoever is always working in the best interests of the country. So good for you!

With that said, even if you have joined the Marines, make sure to not become a slave to violence and keep your sanity. You may want to serve your country, but at the same time, you don't want to lose who you are, yeah? thumbsup.gif

And what you said is very true. In some situations, extra noise is just not needed tongue.gif .

Considering the kinds of music being released these days, I would say I'm better off without it tongue.gif .

I don't mind the music if it's soft, lyricless and slow paced, but even then, I prefer that it isn't there. I just like my peace and quiet and being with my own thoughts. When I am working on something, I want to be able to concentrate on what I'm doing rather than listening to what is coming out of my speakers.

I find that not being addicted to music makes me more calm and peaceful. This isn't something to do with music itself I don't think but maybe something to do with the style of music being released today. Our lives are very fast paced and our music reflects that. If you listen to very fast paced music, I think this has an effect on you and your daily routine and how much time you feel there is to get things done.

I prefer to lead a very calm and serene life...that's all tongue.gif . I don't need the extra stress tongue.gif .

This is just me. You should do whatever the hell you want tongue.gif .

Alot of mainstream pop music you could do without. Yes, but I've found the multiple styles I like and it just helps me. Right now I'm listening to love songs. I also listen to Mozart the odd time whilst working. It helps me alot. Maybe it's just the way different people's brains think.

#17 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

You should get your own topic for discussing how much you like silence

#18 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Kami @ Feb 20 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should get your own topic for discussing how much you like silence

Maybe tongue.gif. Everything in time my friend tongue.gif.

#19 Plew

Plew
  • 1754 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

i have extreme mood swings... sometimes i like listen to music and sometimes i dont. i cant rely concentrate with music on unless im playin a video game

#20 GamerAsh

GamerAsh
  • 2350 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 20 2008, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe tongue.gif . Everything in time my friend tongue.gif .

Maybe... Just maybe you should have a whole section dedicated to silence, and your fave types of it. blink.gif

#21 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:03 PM

Yes. Your a monster.

#22 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Toxic-Snipe @ Feb 19 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then you'll love 4'33 by John Cage. Just four minutes and thirty three seconds of silence. The hard part is counting the number of bars you have to not play.

#23 Sunset

Sunset
  • 699 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

I wouldn't be able to live without music .. ok maybe I would but I swear I wouldn't like it ... SOme people like music other (very rare) don't to each its own thats all I am gonna say about it.

#24 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 20 2008, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And what you said is very true. In some situations, extra noise is just not needed tongue.gif.

Considering the kinds of music being released these days, I would say I'm better off without it tongue.gif.

I prefer to lead a very calm and serene life...that's all tongue.gif. I don't need the extra stress tongue.gif.

This is just me. You should do whatever the hell you want tongue.gif.

Ouch man, I wouldn't say it's a crutch. Music is the best, simply put.

Whether it's middle eastern folk on a fretless bass guitar, death metal, whatever, it tends to keep you thinking. Most music sucks, but thats the fun of it. It's so unoriginal to write a song but at the same time the whole process of being stimulated by sounds is totally something that cant be avoided. Again with John Cage, but I think everything is music. Even in a calm environment, your heartbeat is making sounds, your mouse clicking is totally rhythmic and musical.

#25 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

I think it's ok. I'm around music almost ALL.THE.TIME.
I hear it at work, in the car, at home. Only place I never hear it is at school. Sometimes. Haha.
So I have moments where I absolutely DO NOT want to listen to anything.
But yeah... the way most music is going now, I don't blame you for not listening to it.

((I wouldn't want to give my musics up though! biggrin.gif))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users