Photo

Coding a vbulletin or ipb

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:15 AM

I was just wandering how to go about coding one, becuase im trying to set up a forum for a friend (lol he's paying me) but now ive deisigned it dont know where to start for coding it.

Can anyone help me?

(( I couldnt find a single tutorial on this so i posted her, i was told that a certain someone knows how to ))

#2 Lawivido

Lawivido
  • iOS Hacker

• 2018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

http://www.pixel2lif...ding_css_guide/

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

My first advice to you would be to just use something that has already been coded (vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, etc.) Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

I guess if you were to start coding one, you would want to start with a session manager, then expand it to topic listings, forum parents and children, post viewing and posting, etc.

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 21 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first advice to you would be to just use something that has already been coded (vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, etc.) Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

I guess if you were to start coding one, you would want to start with a session manager, then expand it to topic listings, forum parents and children, post viewing and posting, etc.

I suspect, ol' buddy ol' pal, that he's simply after how to code a skin.

#5 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Feb 21 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suspect, ol' buddy ol' pal, that he's simply after how to code a skin.
Oh. Right. I totally knew that.

#6 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

http://www.invisionp...ide_classic.pdf
It's the CSS guide for the IPB 2.2.x default skin.

If you use the CSS from the IPB 2.2.x Default skin (modify it obviously), the skins will work on both IPB 2.2.x and 2.3.x I've never made a skin using the Pro CSS, but I would assume it won't work on any version other than 2.3.x

#7 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:13 PM

thanks everyone for fast replies, cant believe i missed the pixel2life one im on there for hours tongue.gif

WHats easier vb/ipb or phbb?

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Kami @ Feb 21 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks everyone for fast replies, cant believe i missed the pixel2life one im on there for hours tongue.gif

WHats easier vb/ipb or phbb?

No idea which is easier but if you're getting into it to make money then since phpbb is free you'll be less likely to find people who want to actually buy skins for it. So you'd probably be better off choosing either vb or ipb if you're going to sell your skins...

#9 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

This is most likely a one off kind of thing since i dont own any forum software anyway, i sell templates to my school staff and school mates tongue.gif

#10 Shadiel

Shadiel
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

I'd say IPB is easier to skin, from my past (not much) experience.
And Laser is correct, IPB skins can go for a pretty pretty penny if done well and done on time. smile.gif

#11 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Shadiel @ Feb 22 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say IPB is easier to skin, from my past (not much) experience.
And Laser is correct, IPB skins can go for a pretty pretty penny if done well and done on time. smile.gif

Indeed, there is some huge money in skinning IPB and vBulletin. These two bulletin board systems are the main ones used commercially and most businesses are quite ready to dish out some serious buckage to get a custom and professional looking skin.

#12 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

Still finding coding the damned things a pain sad.gif

#13 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

Coding them for what?

#14 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

Just practicing coding a ipb, lol havent even set the damned thing up yet let alone looked at coding structure for the design layout.

Because at some stage ill need it for my IT course.

(( I was actually told that you were the best for coding help but i didnt feel like we knew each other enough for me to moan at you for help ))

#15 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Well, they're definitely much easier to code if you're working on an actual forum. I've never, ever coded one offline before.
I'd suggest you have a go at one, something very basic involving not too many different images to start off with, then move onto learning what else you can do (rounded corners, sidebars etc). If you take a look at the CSS guide I posted (the P2L one is missing stuff), you should get an idea of where you can change the colours/backgrounds etc. Obviously there's much more to it that just that, but they're the easiest things to begin with.

I always find it much easier to only create the basic layout in photoshop (basic colours/positions), and then work on the code/images at the same time. I create new images as I'm going along so I know they will fit exactly into the coding where I want them to.

#16 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

Does ipb offer a trial version, i dont really want to use a nulled version

#17 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Kami @ Feb 24 2008, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does ipb offer a trial version, i dont really want to use a nulled version
Only one that lasts for 8 hours, and is version 2.2.x Not sure how much you can actually do with it either. blink.gif

http://www.invisionp...board/demo.html

#18 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

oh ok, thanks for everything

#19 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:06 AM

It seems with this business decision to charge for their product, they have lost a lot of potential coders from the free community. However, since it was free, their software has been proliferated throughout the internet already and so that may not be a large problem for them.

Their google pagerank is at 8 ohmy.gif

#20 Kail

Kail
  • 1109 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

Cant even set up the ipb -__-

#21 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:50 PM