Photo

Is it really that bad being Muslim?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

For Barack Obama, it is an ember that he has doused time and again, only to see it flicker anew: links to Islam fanned by false rumors, innuendo and association. Obama and his campaign reacted strongly this week when a photo of him in Kenyan tribal garb began spreading on the Internet.

And the praise he received Sunday from Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan prompted pointed questions — during Tuesday night's presidential debate and also in a private meeting over the weekend with Jewish leaders in Cleveland.

During the debate, Obama repeated his denunciation of Farrakhan's views, which have included numerous anti-Semitic comments. And, after being pressed, he rejected Farrakhan's support in the presidential race.

The Democratic candidate says repeatedly that he's a Christian who took the oath of office on a family Bible. Yet on the Internet and on talk radio — and in a campaign introduction for John McCain this week — he is often depicted, falsely, as a Muslim with shadowy ties and his middle name, Hussein, is emphasized as a reminder of Iraq's former leader.

"If anyone is still puzzled about the facts, in fact I have never been a Muslim," he told the Jewish leaders in Cleveland, according to a transcript of the private session.

The photo of Obama wearing Kenyan tribal raiments — taken by an Associated Press photographer during his visit in 2006 to the country where his father was born — resurfaced on the Internet amid unsubstantiated claims that it was being circulated by members of Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign. Clinton and her aides said they had nothing to do with it. The Obama campaign accused them of "shameful, offensive fear-mongering."

Read more of the article at Source: http://ap.google.com...q4U_aQD8V3163O1

Is he really that afraid that being Muslim will affect his campaign? Are we really that ignorant in the United States?

Discuss

Edited by Toxic-Snipe, 28 February 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Gosh I dont like this. It's embarasssing to Muslims, I wish he could be proud of the Muslim in his name in his family at least if he isn't one.

#3 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Noitidart @ Feb 28 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gosh I dont like this. It's embarasssing to Muslims, I wish he could be proud of the Muslim in his name in his family at least if he isn't one.

Yeah.. this could be showing the uglier side of Obama that we might see if he were to become President.

Edited by Toxic-Snipe, 28 February 2008 - 05:44 PM.

#4 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Toxic-Snipe @ Feb 28 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah.. this could be showing the uglier side of Obama that we might see if he were to become President.

Well, if he isn't Muslim, then I think he is in the right in defending his name that he isn't. I think it's even worse that certain people are propogating the image that being a Muslim is inherantly bad.

I don't know if you guys saw redlion's quiz...

#5 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

If someone can't be proud of something they have one can imagine what else this could lead to. He can do stuff presidentially and be like, "Wasn't me i swear"

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

So far I really like Obama's policies, especially those where he is talking about how he will handle technology in the future. That is really important for the new generation of presidents.

I would be disappointed if they used this to stop a great candidate from becoming president. I would be thoroughly disappointed with my country.

#7 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 28 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So far I really like Obama's policies, especially those where he is talking about how he will handle technology in the future. That is really important for the new generation of presidents.

I would be disappointed if they used this to stop a great candidate from becoming president. I would be thoroughly disappointed with my country.

I completely agree.

A candidates religion weighs nothing on my mind, unless I think it will affect his ability to rule the country in a productive manor (Huckabee)

#8 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (KyleBigMac @ Feb 28 2008, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I completely agree.

A candidates religion weighs nothing on my mind, unless I think it will affect his ability to rule the country in a productive manor (Huckabee)
The thing is, he's not a Muslim. He has said he's a Christian. He's being portrayed as being a Muslim because he wore traditional clothes when he visited Kenya (where his father was born). Presidents long before Obama have shown respect to other countries they visited by putting on their robes and garments. I fail to see how this is any different.

#9 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 28 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is, he's not a Muslim. He has said he's a Christian. He's being portrayed as being a Muslim because he wore traditional clothes when he visited Kenya (where his father was born). Presidents long before Obama have shown respect to other countries they visited by putting on their robes and garments. I fail to see how this is any different.

I know hes not, but I'm saying that even if he was, it wouldn't affect my support for him.tongue.gif

#10 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (KyleBigMac @ Feb 28 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know hes not, but I'm saying that even if he was, it wouldn't affect my support for him. tongue.gif

Ah well, yeah...I care more about what a person is going to do for this country rather than what he did in the past, what religion he is a part of or if he is a man or woman or black or white. I really don't care about all that. I just want a president who will enact the best policies for this country. That's all I look at in a president.

Unfortunately, some people put trivial things such as race, gender, religion and other things prior to policies. I hope these short sighted people are marginalized and become the minority.

#11 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 28 2008, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah well, yeah...I care more about what a person is going to do for this country rather than what he did in the past, what religion he is a part of or if he is a man or woman or black or white. I really don't care about all that. I just want a president who will enact the best policies for this country. That's all I look at in a president.

I praise you for that, because thats all someone SHOULD care about in a leader.

Edited by KyleBigMac, 28 February 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#12 adonis

adonis
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Hydrogen @ Feb 28 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, if he isn't Muslim, then I think he is in the right in defending his name that he isn't. I think it's even worse that certain people are propogating the image that being a Muslim is inherantly bad.

I don't know if you guys saw redlion's quiz...

It just goes to show how ignorant elected officals think the american people are. Somehow they feel they can stir distrust of this canidate by almost subliminal means. Yes his middle name is repeated and repeated to pound into ones mind he is a threat to the US. No other reason than that. As well as the fact he has dual citizenship, and he has family in Africa. The republican "right" have shown that they will continue to commit acts of subterfuge to create a stimga upon this mans name in an attempt to convince americans he somehow doesn't belong here.

#13 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

I could give a shit less what the persons religion is if they can respect the constitution and are in accord with my beliefs politically. I have my own beliefs on Islam which would likely offend many respectable members here, and are irrelevant to the discussion. Point being, politicians should be deconstructed on an individual basis, but not bullshit like this. A lot of my idiot friends tend to say "I'm voting for Clinton because Barack is a Muslim." Even if he was a Muslim, if he has good policies, why should you care when we live in a country where religion shouldn't interfere in politics?

#14 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

I've been studying into Islam, and I can cheerfully say, that if I had to choose a faith, it would most likely be Islam. We live in a western world founded under Christianity; while it is ignorance that fuels American dislike for anyone other than a Christian leader, it's under the pretense that Christians hold the most solemn moral code. It's ignorance, but understandable ignorance.

#15 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

I never even understood why people thought he was Muslim blink.gif Anyways he should be allowed to defend the fact that he isn't Muslim at all and I'm sure he has every right to be angry that people think he is because of his father. I mean his father freaking left him when he was a kid for goodness sakes. He has every right to be irritated to think that he really has anything to do with it because of his dad. I'd be irritated too if I were in his shoes.

But yeah... nothing wrong with being Muslim. It's just bigots who try to say anything against Obama because of it. People like that disgust me. People like that forced my local mosque to take down their sign so they could hide that they were a mosque so they wouldn't get vandalized them. I want to spit on their graves. *people who discriminate people for no good reason make me... extremely angry. One of the few things that does*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users