One Rep Maximum!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Agamemnon

Agamemnon
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jul 5 2008, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also...I work in a gym and there some guys who compete in on regular basis that train there. None of them can lift what some of you are claiming to be able to lift tongue.gif . Anyone willing to post a picture of themselves? I'm just curious to see your builds.

I aint skeered... Now this is back in Feb. when I weight 320. I have since lost 40lbs. I do actually have a neck now...Will take up to date pics when my boy gets back from his vac.

Edited by Agamemnon, 11 July 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#52 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jul 5 2008, 03:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you guys are training for competitions then you are doing exercises that are uneccessary tongue.gif. If you are training just to improve your physique and fitness then there is no reason to some of the exercises you are talking about....they cause injury much too often and are bad for your back.

Are you trying to say cleans, deadlifts, and squats are bad for you? blink.gif Those are the most important things for American football players. blink.gif

BTW- When you guys deadlift, do you use a hexbar or your standard bar? Because in our weight room we do deadlifts with a hexbar, but SLDLs with a normal one. I'm just wondering if you use a normal bar for both, or which you prefer. 1we8.gif

#53 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (moosejuice @ Jul 5 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i beg to differ. i lift to be able to play football better. so i train a lot more fast twitch then slow tiwtch. but ill try and find a decent pic when im back to my comuter

Training for a sport is the same as training for competition. There are specific goals you are trying to achieve rather than just training to get fitter.

QUOTE (Hawk @ Jul 5 2008, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you trying to say cleans, deadlifts, and squats are bad for you? blink.gif Those are the most important things for American football players. blink.gif

They are not bad for as long as your technique is perfect. As I mentioned above....if you are training for a sport like american football then it is very similar to training for lifting comps as you will have very specific aims.

Part of my job is to make exercise regimes for people on a daily basis and if they just wanted to get fitter, build some muscle mass or tone up then I would never give them exercises like squats (bad for your knees if technique is poor) or deadlifts (potentially bad for your back) as they are uneccessary when they are safer and simpler alternatives.

Edited by Oaken, 05 July 2008 - 02:28 PM.

#54 moosejuice

moosejuice
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jul 5 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Training for a sport is the same as training for competition. There are specific goals you are trying to achieve rather than just training to get fitter.

once again i dont neccessarily agree. its a different kind of strength. when you see the strong benchers it is a very slow lift. the bar doesnt just fly up. its not explosive. whwen training for american football at least, you are trying to gain explosiveness not just strength. so it relates into a different way of training. although in excercises like cleans, yes the training would be almost identical i believe

#55 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (moosejuice @ Jul 5 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
once again i dont neccessarily agree. its a different kind of strength. when you see the strong benchers it is a very slow lift. the bar doesnt just fly up. its not explosive. whwen training for american football at least, you are trying to gain explosiveness not just strength. so it relates into a different way of training. although in excercises like cleans, yes the training would be almost identical i believe

....there was nothing to disagree with about what you quoted tongue.gif. I didn't say anything about the type of strength being the same....I said the fact that you have very specific aims was the same.

#56 moosejuice

moosejuice
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jul 5 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....there was nothing to disagree with about what you quoted tongue.gif . I didn't say anything about the type of strength being the same....I said the fact that you have very specific aims was the same.

o my bad. didnt read it too carefully. sorry.

anyway im still trying to find a pic of myself... but most are in football pads and such

#57 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (moosejuice @ Jul 5 2008, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
o my bad. didnt read it too carefully. sorry.

anyway im still trying to find a pic of myself... but most are in football pads and such

It will be interesting to see a picture if you have lost 40lbs. There should be quite a difference in your body shape.

#58 moosejuice

moosejuice
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jul 5 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will be interesting to see a picture if you have lost 40lbs. There should be quite a difference in your body shape.

that pic is of Agamemnon

#59 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (moosejuice @ Jul 6 2008, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that pic is of Agamemnon

The requested URL could not be retrieved

Might be because I am using a proxy.

#60 moosejuice

moosejuice