My Linux Installation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

Well, I finally got my Linux installation working exactly the way I want it to. During my previous experiences with installing Linux, I often found that it couldn't do the job that my Windows installation used to do. Now, I seem to have everything working the way I want it to. smile.gif

Distribution: Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) using the Wubi Installer
Model: Toshiba Satellite A100-TA9
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83 GHz)
Memory: 2.00 GB DDR2 RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 (128 MB) - Dual-Screen Setup
HDD Capacity: 160 GB Internal + 250 GB External

The computer I bought two years ago so it's fairly average in today's standards. I also have Crossover Pro installed in case I want to install some popular Windows applications. tongue.gif

---------------

Discuss your bad or good experiences with replacing your undesirable Windows installation with a Linux one. tongue.gif

#2 'B'

'B'
  • 934 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

For the love of God, why KDE?!

#3 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (CodeDreamer @ Jun 15 2008, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the love of God, why KDE?!

I like it better than Gnome for some reason.... it's never given me problems. tongue.gif

#4 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

I personally can't stand KDE. I <3 me some Gnome, but meh to personal preference.

I've tried Ubuntu several times but always end up going back to windows. =/ Vista runs a lot smoother on my machine and it's nice having everything I want in software easily obtainable. ( all though there was a few software that I miss like Music Brainz )

#5 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Cory @ Jun 15 2008, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've tried Ubuntu several times but always end up going back to windows. =/ Vista runs a lot smoother on my machine and it's nice having everything I want in software easily obtainable. ( all though there was a few software that I miss like Music Brainz )

Yeah. I have to admit, it took me a very long time to get used to using alternatives and now that I don't really do much gaming, Linux seems to be more compatible with my lifestyle. The things that were keeping me from using Linux were my printer drivers (which I just got working), and a few of my games (that I have figured out how to play now).

I love how fast it is to install things in Linux and I also love the seemingly infinite amount of console commands that do amazing things. tongue.gif It's all personal preference. tongue.gif

#6 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (ShadowLink64 @ Jun 15 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. I have to admit, it took me a very long time to get used to using alternatives and now that I don't really do much gaming, Linux seems to be more compatible with my lifestyle. The things that were keeping me from using Linux were my printer drivers (which I just got working), and a few of my games (that I have figured out how to play now).

I love how fast it is to install things in Linux and I also love the seemingly infinite amount of console commands that do amazing things. tongue.gif It's all personal preference. tongue.gif

See it wasn't even finding alternatives and such that was so much the problem. It's more that suddenly programs would just stop working, crash, freeze and just completely go crazy. Sure windows does it every once in a while, but it's easy to end just one program in windows. When you try to end most of Ubuntu's software I had to reboot. =/

#7 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Cory @ Jun 15 2008, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See it wasn't even finding alternatives and such that was so much the problem. It's more that suddenly programs would just stop working, crash, freeze and just completely go crazy. Sure windows does it every once in a while, but it's easy to end just one program in windows. When you try to end most of Ubuntu's software I had to reboot. =/

Ah, that sucks. sad.gif I haven't had any more problems with my setup so far. 1we8.gif

#8 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

IMO, now that you have everything working right (and subsequently know how to get it all set up right now) you should go ahead and install it w/o using Wubi. You're sacrificing a lot of hard disk performance that way.

Also, why are you still using Feisty? Not criticizing, just curious.

#9 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (dolphinbomb @ Jun 16 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO, now that you have everything working right (and subsequently know how to get it all set up right now) you should go ahead and install it w/o using Wubi. You're sacrificing a lot of hard disk performance that way.

Also, why are you still using Feisty? Not criticizing, just curious.

Feisty seems to support all of my hardware with no problems, and I don't want to upgrade to Hardy until it's been used for a while by other people. 1we8.gif Why fix something that isn't broke? tongue.gif

And well.... I don't want to resize partitions or anything while I still have windows installed (I'm keeping it there just in case I really need windows for something) so I'll keep Wubi for the time being. I'm not noticing any performance issues so I'll worry about that when the time comes. I know the option is there. tongue.gif

#10 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (ShadowLink64 @ Jun 16 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Feisty seems to support all of my hardware with no problems, and I don't want to upgrade to Hardy until it's been used for a while by other people. 1we8.gif Why fix something that isn't broke? tongue.gif

Feisty was very broke IMO lol. It supports my hardware much better now on Hardy than Feisty. Hardy has been the first usable Linux OS for me. Big improvement

Edited by Fatal, 17 June 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#11 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

ya fesity fuckd my comp up too, noting was compatable
then dled the next 1 and it was much better

#12 Joey

Joey
  • 782 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

Don't worry SL, I love KDE biggrin.gif.

Slackware with KDE = pro.

I also see you're using pidgin D:

Wine pretty much makes Linux better, because you can't run Linux programs on Windows, so why not use Windows programs on Linux!

#13 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Joey @ Jul 5 2008, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't worry SL, I love KDE biggrin.gif.

Slackware with KDE = pro.

I also see you're using pidgin D:

Wine pretty much makes Linux better, because you can't run Linux programs on Windows, so why not use Windows programs on Linux!

Pidgin blows, but it's better than nothing 1we8.gif

And Linux progs in Windows is possible, it's called Cygwin. It's admittedly buggy as shit, though, and I don't believe it's been seriously updated in a very long time.

#14 Joey

Joey
  • 782 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (dolphinbomb @ Jul 5 2008, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pidgin blows, but it's better than nothing 1we8.gif

And Linux progs in Windows is possible, it's called Cygwin. It's admittedly buggy as shit, though, and I don't believe it's been seriously updated in a very long time.

I know, but like you said, it's very buggy, and probably an abandoned project.

#15 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

Offtopic but where'd you get that background?

#16 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Spade @ Jul 8 2008, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Offtopic but where'd you get that background?

I have no idea... it seems to me that I searched google for "abstract wallpapers" and ran into it. tongue.gif

#17 Twilight

Twilight
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

EWWW kubuntu is gay. run ubuntu!

#18 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Twilight @ Jul 15 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EWWW kubuntu is gay. run ubuntu!