Mercy Killing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gone

Gone
  • 232 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:35 AM

Mercy killing has been explained as ending someone's life when they have no possibility of recovering from a injury or are going to die from a disease. The person has limited or no chance for survivial.

I don't think mercy killing is humane only because someone in my family died recently, since he had a brain cancer, but how he died disturbs me. He was in a hospice so he was expected to die, but no one fed him or tried to help him (with getting a blanket on when cold or with other things). He was left to slowly deteriote and was not provided oxygen although his conditon was stable before they left him to starve to death. They did not allow him a pain free passing. A family member was there and was the only support he recieved that actually let him die with no fear.

I felt that the "mercy killing" was more like murder. They did not pull a plug or anything and he was stable but no efforts were made to keep it that way or to at least make him feel lees pain or feel comfortable.What is your opinion on mercy killing and it doesn't have to apply to just humans. Animals are also put to sleep or even shot (race horses who can't run anymore but hopeflly that tradition as ended).

#2 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:54 AM

Race horses are not killed because they can't run anymore....at least not as far as I'm aware. I thought it was more to do with the fact horses struggle to move properly after they have suffered a broken leg.

It sounds to me like the member of your family who died recently did not do so via means of a mercy killing. It sounds more like people did not do their job properly and the member of your family suffered because of it.

I would interpret a mercy killing to be something along the lines of ending someones life because they were on fire for example or they were going to die within the next few minutes and were in a lot of pain.

Are you talking about Euthanasia? I think there is a distinct difference between the two.

Edited by Oaken, 16 June 2008 - 04:55 AM.

#3 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

I would rather people use euthanasia (as in actually killing the person through drugs) than to have them starve or die of thirst. There is no question. Most people wouldn't even want to do that to an animal so they put their animals down rather than not feed them. Though personally... I'm not a fan of either :\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users