• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

I was reading The Week and I read a reference to the lack of prosecutions by Mukasey, in clear violation of the law. He is quoted as saying "Not every wrong, or even every violation of the law, is a crime. In this instance, the two joint reports found only violations of the civil service laws." This sparked some thought (boredom induced, really) that resulted in government theory. (exit now, feeble minded)

Facts:
The American system of government was originally set up with the Legislative branch having the most power.
The executive was originally the weakest.
The power of the executive has been expanded since the time of Jackson (Andrew) and has gained significantly in the past few years.
There is a direct, bar acknowledged conflict of interest with Justice Department officials being responsible for policing (essentially) their bosses in the Executive.
The power to enforce the law resides solely with the Executive.

Opinions/Theory:
The current Executive can selectively enforce the laws, particularly concerning its own mistakes.
The fact that the Executive appointed the chief prosecutor for the nation, and they are of the same political belief structure presents a clear and strong link in policy, reflects the serious unbalance of power. Therefor,

Conjecture:
I propose restructuring, whereby the Justice department is not an appointment by the Executive, but rather by the Supreme court.

Humbly proposed by Sen. redlion (L-TX) this August 21, 2008.

#2 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

The supreme court appointing the justice department won't solve anything. I mean they can hardly follow the constitution as it is, who's to say some form of corruption won't return the power to the executive?

Ps, what's with the inferno quote?

#3 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Aug 21 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The supreme court appointing the justice department won't solve anything. I mean they can hardly follow the constitution as it is, who's to say some form of corruption won't return the power to the executive?

Ps, what's with the inferno quote?
Was referring to the fact that this is a heady topic. Most of the time I get like three responses.

#4 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (redlion @ Aug 21 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was referring to the fact that this is a heady topic. Most of the time I get like three responses.

I think threads like these often bore people tongue.gif

#5 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Aug 21 2008, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think threads like these often bore people tongue.gif

I know. By this point, the Girls of Neocodex thread got 4x the amount of responses.

(watch BF come in and do some statistical analysis to show me it was NOT 4x, but 2x. stop exaggerating.)

#6 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (redlion @ Aug 21 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know. By this point, the Girls of Neocodex thread got 4x the amount of responses.

(watch BF come in and do some statistical analysis to show me it was NOT 4x, but 2x. stop exaggerating.)

Don't feel bad, I get it very often. Like that thread about the crab supernova, only Raui responded tongue.gif I thought it was really fucking interesting.

Edited by FlashGM, 21 August 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#7 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

I like the way you think red.

#8 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

Voluntary taxation would certainly help control a lot of the issues at hand. When you consider the enormous amount the government has to maintain, they would certainly cut out and privatize much of what they have going for them if people begin refusing to pay taxes by choice. Checks and balance can then slowly return as a limited budget will give them no choice but to start ensuring the American peoples interests instead of their own or their lobbyists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users