Photo

New User Posting Incentive...?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Hey... again... just thinking, as an incentive for new users to stay active at least until advanced rank perhaps in the 'members download' section we should put kind of like a "view" into the advanced members area. This view can show the overview of each program in advanced, or perhaps a shortened version, but don't give them any options to download / comment on / read the thread for the programs. I think a problem at the moment is that a lot of users come here to leech what they can in the members area and don't even realise there is an advanced area, or just can't be bothered to get enough posts because they don't know what they're working towards. I noticed in the prolix autobuyer, which is advanced+ but in members area (i believe this problem being worked on at the moment) that a lot of newbies are saying IT WONT WORK and then we're explaining over and over they need 500 posts and then they're like OH I DIDN'T KNOW. A lot of other cheating sites show their whole range of programs on offer but only allow you to get them after ranking up, but people stay because they know what they're working towards. Anyways... sorry if something like this has been done before but i think it might help >_<

#2 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 31 2008, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've supported this idea before and think it's a good incentive really. Even advanced being able to see private too.

For an area you have the choice to give a user group the permission to See and area (You can see topic titles), read the area (read the contents of the topic), reply in the area (reply in the topics), start topics (start new topics), then upload and download.

So it's very simple to set up people to see, and read the advanced prog area.

The only drawback i can see is if we have some specific ideas to codex, other programmers may come here and steal ideas for their own site, so if we decided to let them see the full descriptions that could happen. Just seeing topic titles would be a start, but generally people like to see how good something is too before working towards it. This is why i thought an overview style description of the program would be good rather than displaying the whole indepth description. Also, you can remove the download links completely? I know codex checks will fail... but yea we've been through this before tongue.gif

Edited by Just Another User, 30 August 2008 - 10:34 PM.

#3 Breadfan

Breadfan
  • 1094 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 30 2008, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
or just can't be bothered to get enough posts because they don't know what they're working towards.

^Thank you.

Good idea IMO. Even if the Private+ stuff was still invis it would make sense in my opinion. once you understand that there is more to get by being active you would understand that it only gets better with the other ranks.

/says an advanced member who hopes it gets better with other ranks smile.gif

#4 chaoticguymike

chaoticguymike
  • 2221 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

But do you really want to make the aim of the noobs to get programs?

I mean, I've been here for over 2 years and I'm 2300 posts deep. Do you think you would get the same kind of result from someone who is just sticking around and looking to get promoted for the programs?

Is that why people apply for private? I thought it was more of a community and respect type of achievement. Not being able to obtain the newest neopets program.

#5 sarah.

sarah.
  • 5392 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 31 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JAU - you can disable downloading for a user group in an area wink.gif So they won't be able to download it to even fail the checks tongue.gif
If you mean upload/download in the permissions of each separate forum (in ACP), that's for attachments.

#6 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (chaoticguymike @ Aug 31 2008, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But do you really want to make the aim of the noobs to get programs?

||
V
QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 31 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many people who started here as basically leechers discover they really like the place and stay for the forum.

#7 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 31 2008, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of people don't bother with the forums because they have some conception of what it's like. Many people who started here as basically leechers discover they really like the place and stay for the forum.

At worst it encourages people to take a look around and if they can't be bothered doing the 500 posts, then they're welcome to not bother. But if in trying to get advanced, they find they like the place and want to stay, then the incentive has worked.

Yes, but at the same time do you want people spamming the board with crap to reach 500 posts so they can finally get hold of that program they saw? You should atleast make it like, at 200 posts you can view the advanced downloads. Then we won't get crap spam from every single lurker.

Private though, the thing that actually made private so interesting for me was that it was all a mystery. I had no idea what happened in the forum, no idea what sort of programs were available...that actually gave me more incentive tongue.gif

#8 whatwhat

whatwhat
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:58 AM

I didn't even realize there was a advanced programs section. O.o

#9 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

It's not really used ever since Codex decided to go fully free to use for everyone.

The only time I've seen it come into play in recent history was with a beta release of ABrosia for testing and database population...

And this is a pretty old thread :p

#10 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

I think all users should be given a week to make 5 posts (not very hard to do). If a users fails to reach 5 posts, delete the account. This should kill all the 0 post leechers (counted about 15,000 users).

#11 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

I think all users should be given a week to make 5 posts (not very hard to do). If a users fails to reach 5 posts, delete the account. This should kill all the 0 post leechers (counted about 15,000 users).

I kind of like that idea a lot :)

I think we should just make it so a person should maintain 1 post per day.

#12 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

With this applying to all new accounts? Because we have a few old members who returned to us, but they used to be lurkers but followed the rules and kept their original accounts... I was thinking a post requirement on a rolling 30-day period would be appropriate... but you folks are the leaders, so in the end it's your call :p

#13 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:20 PM

From my experience, if we institute any sort of post requirement, we get two types of people: the lazy ones who don't do it, and the smart-asses who spam. I don't want spam on our board and I want to have those posting posting because they want to. That's why we have everything public and easy to use right away. For instance, those of you who use ubuntu or any other software: how often do you post on their forums? People will post here if they want to and wont if they don't want to. We wont be forcing anything on anyone.

I think we might be looking at this the wrong way also. Posts actually mean very little at the moment to us. Sure they contribute to the sense of community and help people get to know each other. When we started work on codex again, we said we would concentrate on our products and let the community build itself. The community has done just that. We have had far fewer incidents with members misbehaving and have much higher posts now than when we tried to create incentives to post without having any real reason to.

All in all, what it boils down to is that my experience has taught me to let things happen as they will. We will be concentrating on bringing you guys the best products available on the Internet and it's up to you all to contribute back to the site by building the community and advertising the site by telling your friends. I have no plans of introducing such a posting requirement.

#14 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

From my experience, if we institute any sort of post requirement, we get two types of people: the lazy ones who don't do it, and the smart-asses who spam. I don't want spam on our board and I want to have those posting posting because they want to. That's why we have everything public and easy to use right away. For instance, those of you who use ubuntu or any other software: how often do you post on their forums? People will post here if they want to and wont if they don't want to. We wont be forcing anything on anyone.

I think we might be looking at this the wrong way also. Posts actually mean very little at the moment to us. Sure they contribute to the sense of community and help people get to know each other. When we started work on codex again, we said we would concentrate on our products and let the community build itself. The community has done just that. We have had far fewer incidents with members misbehaving and have much higher posts now than when we tried to create incentives to post without having any real reason to.

All in all, what it boils down to is that my experience has taught me to let things happen as they will. We will be concentrating on bringing you guys the best products available on the Internet and it's up to you all to contribute back to the site by building the community and advertising the site by telling your friends. I have no plans of introducing such a posting requirement.

Now that you put it that way, deleting accounts is harsh to everybody who registered before Abrosia came out.

My second idea is to take a softer approach using the "Last Active" instead of the number of posts. From what I see, even viewing the Forum Index is considered user activity. How about if a user never visited the site for over a month, mark the account as inactive without deleting it. When you try to use a program with an inactive account, you get a message that you have to visit the site to continue using the program. This won't bother the active users (both lurkers and posters), leechers would be forced to visit the site monthly which would encourage activity on the site, and old users can return to the site with an untouched account and get back to using the programs, lurk, and/or post.

#15 MasterJunpei

MasterJunpei
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

thats a rather interesting solution but would it be worth spending time on programming that vs new programs?

#16 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

This may be an issue but it doesn't demand immediate action. I'm sure everybody behind Neocodex will slowly program it into the site when fixing other bugs or updating the Python Runtime Files.

Edited by Neoology, 15 September 2009 - 12:14 AM.

#17 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Now that you put it that way, deleting accounts is harsh to everybody who registered before Abrosia came out.

My second idea is to take a softer approach using the "Last Active" instead of the number of posts. From what I see, even viewing the Forum Index is considered user activity. How about if a user never visited the site for over a month, mark the account as inactive without deleting it. When you try to use a program with an inactive account, you get a message that you have to visit the site to continue using the program. This won't bother the active users (both lurkers and posters), leechers would be forced to visit the site monthly which would encourage activity on the site, and old users can return to the site with an untouched account and get back to using the programs, lurk, and/or post.

This is a great idea. We need to think of innovative ideas like this. I think we need to iron out the kinks a bit since when you log into a program, it logs you into the board as well so the last active thing gets updated :p. What we're trying to do is to give special features to those who stick around and support our site and still not overly cripple our programs for those who don't. As you can see, this is an issue that we're thinking about and there isn't any clear solution yet. I'll think about it more as I get some more time but you guys are always welcome to send in your suggestions :D. If we like it, we will definitely implement it :D.

We're also going to be coming out with an incentive system for suggestions too. We want to hear what you guys think! :D

#18 akira4444

akira4444
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

I for one would love to see the Graphics section get redone or reintroduced, those chain sigs look like a lot of fun, and could bring back a lot of the creative members. :)

#19 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

I for one would love to see the Graphics section get redone or reintroduced, those chain sigs look like a lot of fun, and could bring back a lot of the creative members. :)

Definitely. The graphics section is on our list of things to revamp. Once we get a fairly stable product line, we'll start working on the other sections of our board :).

#20 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

I've been wishing for groups that users can divide themselves into. This could lead to competitions in forum games and a tightly nit (small) communities with similar interests. There could be groups that provides basic classification and users can join multiple groups such as a user could be a junior programmer, Neocodex tester, and graphics artist with the inclusion of ranks in each group. This could help new users identify the role each person has and would want to get involved with something they like. Each group could also have a private section of the forums with the highest ranking users in that group able to access the entire private forum while lower rank users can only access forums on their level and under to prevent new users getting in the way of sensitive or difficult upper level projects. This way everybody will be able to communicate with their groups and get finish what needs to get done.

Ranks for graphics could be
Master (experienced users and trusted to keep the group clean) > Veteran > General > Junior > Trainee > Unregistered (not associated with group)

My thought isn't finished because my internet is about to go out.

#21 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hey... again... just thinking, as an incentive for new users to stay active at least until advanced rank perhaps in the 'members download' section we should put kind of like a "view" into the advanced members area. This view can show the overview of each program in advanced, or perhaps a shortened version, but don't give them any options to download / comment on / read the thread for the programs. I think a problem at the moment is that a lot of users come here to leech what they can in the members area and don't even realise there is an advanced area, or just can't be bothered to get enough posts because they don't know what they're working towards. I noticed in the prolix autobuyer, which is advanced+ but in members area (i believe this problem being worked on at the moment) that a lot of newbies are saying IT WONT WORK and then we're explaining over and over they need 500 posts and then they're like OH I DIDN'T KNOW. A lot of other cheating sites show their whole range of programs on offer but only allow you to get them after ranking up, but people stay because they know what they're working towards. Anyways... sorry if something like this has been done before but i think it might help >_<

Wow. I didnt know you where still around.

#22 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Wow. I didnt know you where still around.

He isn't :p. That post was from over a year ago. I think JAU dropped by about a month ago and then quickly vanished again.

#23 LittleOne

LittleOne
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:13 AM

i think its fine the way it is!!! yea im up for getting advanced programs...who isn't but i enjoy it here i actually joined this site coz of the advice pages and the guides!! but 500 is hard to gain! but if you wanna be part of a community you goit prove you wanna be here!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users