73 replies to this topic

#26 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (brandonxan @ Apr 17 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well true about the mice.
But what I am saying is that since we are all humans with consciouses and emotions, then we are all an equal authority on our emotions and feelings.

Bollocks.
Most people have absolutely no idea why they're motivated to do, think or feel certain things.

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Apr 17 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not in politics. Everything is gray. (grey?)

What Joe's trying to explain is that he wasted 3/4 of a year on this mice things so therefore you would have to waste 3/4 of year just have as much respectable opinion as him.

No, in politics, politicians strive to make you think things are gray so that they can then convince you to see things how they want you to see them.
More of a confirmation of my point, than a rebuttal.

What seems like a waste of time to you, Lee, got me free flights to Egypt, plus an extraordinary amount of guidance towards writing the dissertation that forms the bulk of my degree, which in turn will allow me to get a better job than I would without it, plus it was fun. Feels worth it to me.

#27 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Apr 16 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everything is black and white. If it looks gray to you, it's because you're too stupid to comprehend it.

That's not to say that I do, but still. Pointing at gray areas is the intellectual equivalent of flapping your hands and crying because it's too hard.

Now that is just retarded.
Almost as retarded as trying to classify people into "12" types.(Those stupid horoscope things

People are not black or whit. People have something called variables.
If I am understanding you correctly then you are saying that either people are good or bad, no Grey area. People either lie or they don't lie, no in between. People either like pizza, or don't like pizza(glad your telling me this, i need to decide if i like green apples or red apples, cause if i want to start fitting in with the rest of the world I better pick one)

I'm sure someone as intelligent as yourself Joe could not possibly believe humans are all one way or the other.

Politics is proof.
Even my political stance is proof its not all black and white.
I now consider myself an moderate republican.
That's neither far left or far right.(black or white)

I guess mathematically your correct in the same way Einstein said eventually you can predict ANY future. The variables involved would just be so massive that there would be no possible way to include for all of them and predict something like human interaction. Does work with very large or very small scales though.

So blake or white would only work in a non-literal sense. For it to be correct we would need millons or colors. One for every type of person. Republicans that hate spaghetti and love jalapenos but not on hot dogs can be silver.

But i do agree with science not having many grey areas.
Certian fields like theoretical physics would be non existant if it were not for inbetweens.(me not being a scientist may hinder me)

Edited by sonic, 17 April 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#28 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (sonic @ Apr 17 2009, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that is just retarded.
Almost as retarded as trying to classify people into "12" types.(Those stupid horoscope things

People are not black or whit. People have something called variables.
If I am understanding you correctly then you are saying that either people are good or bad, no Grey area. People either lie or they don't lie, no in between. People either like pizza, or don't like pizza(glad your telling me this, i need to decide if i like green apples or red apples, cause if i want to start fitting in with the rest of the world I better pick one)

I'm sure someone as intelligent as yourself Joe could not possibly believe humans are all one way or the other.

Politics is proof.
Even my political stance is proof its not all black and white.
I now consider myself an moderate republican.
That's neither far left or far right.(black or white)

I guess mathematically your correct in the same way Einstein said eventually you can predict ANY future. The variables involved would just be so massive that there would be no possible way to include for all of them and predict something like human interaction. Does work with very large or very small scales though.

So blake or white would only work in a non-literal sense. For it to be correct we would need millons or colors. One for every type of person. Republicans that hate spaghetti and love jalapenos but not on hot dogs can be silver.

But i do agree with science not having many grey areas.
Certian fields like theoretical physics would be non existant if it were not for inbetweens.(me not being a scientist may hinder me)

I don't understand why you disagree with me, and then say that actually, I'm right, but we can't look in that much detail which is exactly what I said.

#29 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Apr 17 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't understand why you disagree with me, and then say that actually, I'm right, but we can't look in that much detail which is exactly what I said.

But for all intensive purposes there is no black and white with human interaction, emotion, or thought. This is logic/reason. Although the actual reality is everything can be in a category.

#30 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (sonic @ Apr 17 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But for all intensive purposes there is no black and white with human interaction, emotion, or thought. This is logic/reason. Although the actual reality is everything can be in a category.

*intents and purposes

I'm not talking about convenience. I'm talking about truth.
And the truth is absolute, if you're willing to invest the time and effort to find it.

#31 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Apr 17 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, in politics, politicians strive to make you think things are gray so that they can then convince you to see things how they want you to see them.
More of a confirmation of my point, than a rebuttal.

What seems like a waste of time to you, Lee, got me free flights to Egypt, plus an extraordinary amount of guidance towards writing the dissertation that forms the bulk of my degree, which in turn will allow me to get a better job than I would without it, plus it was fun. Feels worth it to me.

Nope, you can't pidegon-hole 6,500,000,000 people into a few categories, since dealing with everything, politics is not always black and white.

Btw i meant like in serving an actual purpose, like learning cpr or something.

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Apr 18 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, you can't pidegon-hole 6,500,000,000 people into a few categories, since dealing with everything, politics is not always black and white.

Btw i meant like in serving an actual purpose, like learning cpr or something.

Who said anything about "a few categories"?

#33 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Apr 18 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who said anything about "a few categories"?

U originally said "black and white"
Thats two.

#34 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

CODE
I. Do you like pizza
        A. yes
             1. With toppings
                     a. yes
                          1. Pepperoni?
                                A. yes
                                B. no
                          2. Mushrooms
                                A. yes
                                B. no
                          3. etc.
                      b.  no
         B. no

Easier to understand now?

#35 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Apr 18 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CODE
I. Do you like pizza
        A. yes
             1. With toppings
                     a. yes
                          1. Pepperoni?
                                A. yes
                                B. no
                          2. Mushrooms
                                A. yes
                                B. no
                          3. etc.
                      b.  no
         B. no

I never debated whether or not this was the reality of things(your diagram).
This is what I was saying in idiot proof form(not calling you idiots)

"Everything is not black and white"
This statment or theory if you will, shows a moral or even semi-spiritual message about not putting everything into categories and not assuming you can predict or understand any one persons life/actions/statment/thoughts by comparing to other people. Now like Einstein said everthing is predictable and "god doesn't play dice". That means no chance. So obviously you must be able to categorize everything even human emotion. But do people have the mental power to shift through all the variables? I think not.

So for in the interest of reason, "Everything is not black and white" is perfectly true. To humans.

#36 brandonxan

brandonxan
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Apr 18 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CODE
I. Do you like pizza
        A. yes
             1. With toppings
                     a. yes
                          1. Pepperoni?
                                A. yes
                                B. no
                          2. Mushrooms
                                A. yes
                                B. no
                          3. etc.
                      b.  no
         B. no

That's not black and white. Some days I'm in the mood for pepperoni and some days I'm not.

#37 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (brandonxan @ Apr 18 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not black and white. Some days I'm in the mood for pepperoni and some days I'm not.

That wasn't the question.

#38 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (sonic @ Apr 18 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never debated whether or not this was the reality of things(your diagram).
This is what I was saying in idiot proof form(not calling you idiots)

"Everything is not black and white"
This statment or theory if you will, shows a moral or even semi-spiritual message about not putting everything into categories and not assuming you can predict or understand any one persons life/actions/statment/thoughts by comparing to other people. Now like Einstein said everthing is predictable and "god doesn't play dice". That means no chance. So obviously you must be able to categorize everything even human emotion. But do people have the mental power to shift through all the variables? I think not.

So for in the interest of reason, "Everything is not black and white" is perfectly true. To humans.

If you follow a logical proof for this instance, you could probably prove that he is in love or not if given enough data which is what's on the subject. A human cannot follow through all the variables in the entire world BUT I believe if a human being was logical enough - and there are many out there - and cared enough, they could easily analyze specific subjects or problems through a logical proof. Some people actually find comfort in this.

QUOTE (brandonxan @ Apr 18 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. You're not getting it. Each time the choice for pizza comes up, you go through those categories.

#39 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Funny this, just last night I was talking in IRC to a few mates while sloshed and we ended up talking about whether love was an arbitrary or imperative construct

It's a pretty difficult subject. You could argue that your prime genetic directive is to reproduce, and that love is just an extension of prolonged oxytocin (the bonding chemical released when you kiss, hug and all that jazz) excretion that serves to ensure the pending young are properly cared for while simultaneously setting up a further biological platform for procreation.. Christ that was a run on sentence..

So following that train of thought, it'd probably be a gigantic cacophony of signals that vary from person to person depending on what the biological aspect of things deems a suitable mate.

Am I alone in thinking that being domineered by a set of hormones is pretty fucking frightening?

#40 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Euphoria @ Apr 19 2009, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I alone in thinking that being domineered by a set of hormones is pretty fucking frightening?

Probably. tongue.gif

Haven't seen you around these parts lately, been doing good?

#41 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (pyke @ Apr 19 2009, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably. tongue.gif

Haven't seen you around these parts lately, been doing good?

Yeah, actually.

Hopefully I've grown up a bit. It's embarrassing to look back on the old daze where I was a petulant little annoying shit and realize I was totally domineered by both hormones AND horrible preconceptions. Holy fuck.

Decided to pop in to see how stuff was going, great to see practically everybody is still here tongue.gif

#42 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Euphoria @ Apr 19 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny this, just last night I was talking in IRC to a few mates while sloshed and we ended up talking about whether love was an arbitrary or imperative construct

It's a pretty difficult subject. You could argue that your prime genetic directive is to reproduce, and that love is just an extension of prolonged oxytocin (the bonding chemical released when you kiss, hug and all that jazz) excretion that serves to ensure the pending young are properly cared for while simultaneously setting up a further biological platform for procreation.. Christ that was a run on sentence..

So following that train of thought, it'd probably be a gigantic cacophony of signals that vary from person to person depending on what the biological aspect of things deems a suitable mate.

Good Grief.
Not you.

#43 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Apr 17 2009, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because not all opinions are equal.
For example, my opinion about the parasite burdens of Egyptian Spiny mice is far more valuable than yours, because I've spent three quarters of a year studying the damn things.
Equally, some people are of the opinion that the moon is made of cheese. These people are morons, and their opinion doesn't deserve the slightest shred of respect.

This constant demand (in general, not talking about specifically here) for all opinions to be heard and considered equally is utterly pathetic.

Uhhh, yeah, agreed, anyone with any brains at all knows that logic is a pretty bitchen' faculty if you want to have opinions which are of value and relevance. But you're kinda ranting a bit off key by taking a simple statement like "why not get a huge online resource of opinions" and subsequently responding as if you think he's dumb as a fucking mule (perhaps you're just directing a rant in response to other people, but its still rather irrelevant.)

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Apr 17 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What Joe's trying to explain is that he wasted 3/4 of a year on this mice things so therefore you would have to waste 3/4 of year just have as much respectable opinion as him.

Who gives a fuck? The human race is full of unproductive little shits. If it gets him through the day, fuck it. It's an original way compared to me (playing bass guitar and smoking weed) and probably you as well.

#44 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Athean @ Apr 20 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who gives a fuck? The human race is full of unproductive little shits. If it gets him through the day, fuck it. It's an original way compared to me (playing bass guitar and smoking weed) and probably you as well.

Sorry, I'm not a waster.

#45 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Brandon. Do you know a student at Georgia named Kevin Rhoderick. He went to my High School, should be 20 and should be on the baseball team. He was the second fastest pitcher at my school and he got there on a full ride.

#46 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Bryan @ Apr 20 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brandon. Do you know a student at Georgia named Kevin Rhoderick. He went to my High School, should be 20 and should be on the baseball team. He was the second fastest pitcher at my school and he got there on a full ride.

I met him

----------------
Now playing: Pink Floyd - One of My Turns
via FoxyTunes

#47 brandonxan

brandonxan
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Bryan @ Apr 20 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh no I never heard of him. There are thousands of people over here so unless we had the same major we'd never run into each other :-P

#48 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (brandonxan @ Apr 20 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh no I never heard of him. There are thousands of people over here so unless we had the same major we'd never run into each other :-P

I go to ASU. Most populated school in the nation, but I still know my baseball team =P

#49 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Apr 20 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not everyone gives a flying fuck about sport teams though smile.gif

You're not American, you wouldn't understand.

#50 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Apr 20 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, I'm not a waster.

If you do what you like, its all good man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users