Photo

What language should I start learning?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SadeghiJK

SadeghiJK
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:36 AM

I took a computer science class in high school last year and we learned Java but I messed around too much in that class so i didn't grasp everything that I should have gotten. I'm thinking to pick up C++ or just C, but I'm not sure exactly where to start. What are some good resources to use to learn the basics of programming? Should I try learning a different language instead of the ones I listed, such as C# or Python? Any suggestions will be helpful!

#2 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:06 AM

C# and Python are both great examples of a language you should learn with - they both have their advantages.

Python is very simple and can get you programming very quickly - but interface design and actually creating applications such as neopets-automation can take a long while.

C# is a simple but extremely powerful language and can take you very far, let alone in neopets automation, but in life too - the demand for C# programmers is at it's highest rate since C#'s release in 2001. C# is very simple to start, and the creation of neopets-automation applications can be very fast with windows forms, console applications - the possibilities are endless.

On Codex, Python is the main programming language but with any luck, I'll have a good case for the Admins to allow C# also. ;)

#3 Metigue

Metigue
  • 689 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

I find most programming languages are interchangeable, If you know one really well you can pick up the others extremely easily, I would reccomend you dive into some c# as it will give you a really good base for other languages even if you find you don't like c# itself.

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

I really don't know which language you should start off in, but I think Dan gave you some good pointers. What I am here to tell you is, don't try visual basic it is far too simple and you would probably get sucked into it cause it is so easy. VB is so out dated now and C# is crazy expandable and valuable in the work place.

#5 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

Learn python, make awesome cheats, entertain children.

#6 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

I really don't know which language you should start off in, but I think Dan gave you some good pointers. What I am here to tell you is, don't try visual basic it is far too simple and you would probably get sucked into it cause it is so easy. VB is so out dated now and C# is crazy expandable and valuable in the work place.

.NET?

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:11 AM

.NET?

I was refering to VB6 for the most part, but VB anything is bad! Stay away from it xD.

btw: this is only my opinion and others may feel otherwise lol.

Edited by xTak, 23 October 2009 - 06:15 AM.

#8 SadeghiJK

SadeghiJK
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

I was thinking to learn C#, I knew that python was used here which is why I asked. Haha I'd never learn VB! I'll look into C# and python then :) What are good sources for learning these languages? Like I really want to grasp the programming concept, not just teach me the language. Anyone know where to look?

#9 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

[1]: http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/
[2]: http://www.csharpfriends.com/
[3]: http://www.csharphelp.com/
[4]: http://www.homeandle...arp/csharp.html
[5]: http://en.csharp-online.net

All great places for learning C#.

And VB isn't wholly bad. VB10 (VB.NET 2008) is actually just used more than C# nowadays - very popular, powerful if you know what you're doing with it.

#10 SadeghiJK

SadeghiJK
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

Thanks Dan and everyone else who suggested help! I think I'm gonna learn me some C#, I've been lurking around MSDN so I figure looking around there and using some of those links you gave me will be excellent help. I'm just not sure what to do when I learn something, you know? Like, is there anything specific I should try learning? The whole concept is kind of fuzzy as to what I should do. Guess I'll start from the beginning :D I hope to someday make some programs that everyone will use and enjoy, especially here on codex XD

#11 Rebeca

Rebeca
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Learn python, make awesome cheats, entertain children.²

Please :D

#12 SadeghiJK

SadeghiJK
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

Haha once I get the concept down I'll do that :D I've always wanted to make programs that people find useful! I'm looking into some of the information at MSDN, now to download the compiler and then all I'll need is time. I'll do just that in time; Learn python, make awesome cheats, entertain children.
If only I was here back in the day when referral cheating was easy to do I'd have made a program for that. That's why I was frozen then haha 8D

#13 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

Don't switch to python for the sole purpose of entertaining this forum. It's better to be highly adapt at one language as opposed to ordinary at many.

#14 SadeghiJK

SadeghiJK
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

That's some good advice, I did plan on learning C# first though so I'll just have to learn as much as I can about it and see where it leads me. :)

#15 Backslash

Backslash
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

Where can i find a really good guide on Python?

#16 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Where can i find a really good guide on Python?

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

Released today :)

I know nothing about python besides I tried it and didn't know what to think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users