Texas prisons part of budget cutting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MasterJunpei

MasterJunpei
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

http://www.chron.com...es/6861899.html

Basically, they are planning on shutting down prisons to offset a potential budget deficit of 10 billion dollars. Another thing they are planning to do yet has been blocked so far and is not outlined in the article, is increasing early release programs to attempt to relieve the stress on the prison system.

What do you think of releasing inmates early or cutting costs for a prison system that is having a hard time doing what it is at the moment already?

#2 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

Private prisons use to be (still is?) the most lucrative business in the USA.

I guess not anymore with all these shut downs.

Maybe they should legalize prostitution I think that would decrease prisons... since it's a stupid law anyway.

#3 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hmm I'll have to ask my brother, he works at a maximum security prison in Texas. Maybe they should let out the nonviolent drug offenders.... I'm pretty sure it would cost far less to give people the best drug treatment programs and therapy available than it is to keep them in prison. So many people in prison are there due to lack of service for mental illness anyway.

#4 MasterJunpei

MasterJunpei
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hmm I'll have to ask my brother, he works at a maximum security prison in Texas. Maybe they should let out the nonviolent drug offenders.... I'm pretty sure it would cost far less to give people the best drug treatment programs and therapy available than it is to keep them in prison. So many people in prison are there due to lack of service for mental illness anyway.

Actually Texas has a fairly extensive rehabilitation program set in place for those type people. Almost all of first time drug related offenders and quite a few second time drug related offenders are not even put in prison. They are sent through rehab programs first.

#5 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

I predict after Obama getting elected for a second term and another trillion in debt, a republican coming in and privatizing prisons to cut costs and to get support from rich people who want prisoners to work for 12 cents an hour

#6 MasterJunpei

MasterJunpei
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

I predict after Obama getting elected for a second term and another trillion in debt, a republican coming in and privatizing prisons to cut costs and to get support from rich people who want prisoners to work for 12 cents an hour

they used to have in texas, work squads of inmates that would go out and build houses and so forth but shut that program down for some reason

#7 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Solution: Dump violent and incurable offenders into a landfill. Make the others do humiliating and/or back breaking labour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users