Quantcast

Photo

Is it possible to expect the unexpected?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

Let me start this debate with an anecdote.

The other day I was training for my new job, and one of their safety mottoes was "Expect the Unexpected"..... at which point I decided that this was the perfect time for a debate.

I decided to pipe up and say "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!"

At which point the trainer says "Wait..... what?"

"The moment you take something in the unexpected category and anticipate it, it becomes expected. Thus it would be impossible to expect the unexpected."

I further discussed this with my step-father and tried to think of a more appropriate tag-line.

One that popped to mind was "Expect the statistically improbable".... but I think that misses the point because if you take too much time worrying about the improbable, you will lose sight of the probable.

So we finally decided that the perfect tag-line would be "Murphy's Law. (Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong)" It seems to fit perfectly, but I might add a tiny bit... "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.... eventually."

Here I open the debate.

1. Can we expect the unexpected?
2. What is a good safety tag-line that would bypass assholes like me?

#2 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

I am so confused what is this I dont even

#3 ChemD

ChemD
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

We can expect that something we don't expect will at some point in time occur. Hence, we can expect the unexpected. I don't think it literally means, expect the unexpected in the sense that you know what unexpected event will occur, but just the fact that something may/will occur that you have not expected. As you stated, this somewhat fits Murphys law. As so, I would agree with your tag line.

#4 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

We can expect that something we don't expect will at some point in time occur. Hence, we can expect the unexpected. I don't think it literally means, expect the unexpected in the sense that you know what unexpected event will occur, but just the fact that something may/will occur that you have not expected. As you stated, this somewhat fits Murphys law. As so, I would agree with your tag line.

Expecting the unexpected in your sense, however, will not prepare me for said events. Perhaps "Be cautious because bad shit will happen" is a good translation of "Expect the unexpected"

#5 ChemD

ChemD
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Expecting the unexpected in your sense, however, will not prepare me for said events. Perhaps "Be cautious because bad shit will happen" is a good translation of "Expect the unexpected"

I believe that's basically what it comes down to; being prepared for anything to go down in a sense. You may be up on a ladder painting, but be prepared for something like you falling off the ladder. It's a broad term, but it may be meant to cover their ass (legally) in a broad situation. "We taught 'em to be prepared for anything! They didn't listen!"

Quick Edit: This may not be in a negative manner, though. A bag with hundred dollar bills might fall from the sky and just miss you, but be prepared to take it and run!

Edited by ChemD, 04 July 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#6 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

I believe that's basically what it comes down to; being prepared for anything to go down in a sense. You may be up on a ladder painting, but be prepared for something like you falling off the ladder. It's a broad term, but it may be meant to cover their ass (legally) in a broad situation. "We taught 'em to be prepared for anything! They didn't listen!"

Quick Edit: This may not be in a negative manner, though. A bag with hundred dollar bills might fall from the sky and just miss you, but be prepared to take it and run!

I like this theory.

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hahaha JC you philosopher. Real good points though I have to admin. The last one with eventually sounds best.

#8 devil669988

devil669988
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

i think it means to plan things in advanced so that you can save your ass from trouble. And you can expect most things and plan in advance but then again that'll cause a hell load of paranoia

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:09 AM

Posted Image

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

You can to expect the unexpected.

Things are unexpected by some, and expected by others. There is nothing in the world that isn't expected by someone. What "Expect the unexpected" means, is look out for the shit that the person next to you isn't, and he will do the same.

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

There is nothing in the world that isn't expected by someone.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

#12 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I see what you did there.

#13 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Expect the possibilities of things being unexpected, not unexpected things actually happening. Although you wouldn't expect to see people lining up coke in your work, for example.

#14 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

Lol omg I have thought this for ageeeeees and just thought it was me being dull!

You cant expect the unexpected because it is expected as Jc says!

You can however be ready for random shit to happen.

So In conclusion - be ready for random shit.

P.s. What type of job needs to be ready for random shit? o.O

P.p.s. Congrats on getting a job ^_^

Edited by Georgina, 05 July 2010 - 09:27 AM.

#15 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Zoo poop picker upper

#16 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

You can to expect the unexpected.

Things are unexpected by some, and expected by others. There is nothing in the world that isn't expected by someone. What "Expect the unexpected" means, is look out for the shit that the person next to you isn't, and he will do the same.

Oh that's a good point. So expect what is unexpected to everyone else.

#17 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Zoo poop picker upper

Well done....lol. Omg i hope this is Jc's new job!! ^_^

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

You can expect the unexpected generally, but not specifically. It's not a paradox.

#19 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

P.p.s. Congrats on getting a job ^_^

Working in a freezer warehouse picking shit to ship to grocery stores.

Also thanks for the congrats ;)

You can expect the unexpected generally, but not specifically. It's not a paradox.

DAMN!

Either way I think that Murphy's (edited) Law would be a better safety catch-phrase.

Using such a simple and general phrase should not be allowed.

#20 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:59 AM

Linguistic debates always boil down to the self-interpretation of a word's perceived meaning. For instance, if I were to define 'unexpected' as "happening or coming quickly and without warning;" (source: webster) the statement is perfectly valid.

#21 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

Working in a freezer warehouse picking shit to ship to grocery stores.

Also thanks for the congrats ;)

DAMN!

Either way I think that Murphy's (edited) Law would be a better safety catch-phrase.

Using such a simple and general phrase should not be allowed.

For a safety rule, yeah I agree it's not too bad actually, but to replace the saying completely I think it's a little on the dark side.

There are things in this life that happen without cause, reason or why. For example, being fired cause a 'friend' set you up, a car zooming out of the alley-way and not slowing.

I interpret the saying "Expect the Unexpected" to mean "Be ready for Anything"
So since it's difficult to expect the unexpected, it is still possible to be prepared for anything that can cause disaster or joy. (Such as your wife going into labor ahead of time, or getting caught in a terrible car-wreck)

So people "Be Prepared for everything" could be another interpretation. Be ready to turn off a machine if your friend's sleeve gets caught in it, be ready to steady a ladder that has started to tip over, be ready to catch a bag of money that might possibly fall out of the sky, and definitely be ready for that free beer at the bar.

#22 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

THIS and, THIS IS SOME QUANTUM LEVEL THINKING Y'ALL

#23 WakaWaka

WakaWaka
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

1. You cant
2. Safety? I prefer "use your common sense"

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Just repeat me. Ty.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

Just repeat me. Ty.

What are you going on about now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users