Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

True-say

#27 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

The last 9 seconds were the only worthwhile part of that clip.

#28 Avian

Avian
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Are you an atheist who took the atheist nerd test? If so, you were caught red handed being an atheist nerd. Only atheists who are nerds take atheist nerd tests! Real men don't take atheist nerd tests! They are too busy making a difference in the world.

You means like the atheist nerds you mentioned earlier in this article?

I love how they toss Hitler in there at the bottom saying he was an evolutionary racist and then say that Charles Darwin is also an evolutionary racist. They take the most extreme cases and make it sound like everyone is that way. By that logic - Timothy McVeigh passed out Pro-Gun Rights literature - Reba McEntire is pro gun, ergo.....

I know, that's all about the linked article not this thread specifically. It was just funny to me.

#29 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

Believe in God, if not the one most do. Try the acronym, good orderly direction. This can help you become a better person.

#30 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

Believe in God, if not the one most do. Try the acronym, good orderly direction. This can help you become a better person.

How does belief in a higher power make anyone a "better person"?

Shouldn't a person be judged based on their actions, not their beliefs?

#31 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'm an atheist so I'm going to hunt you down, kill you and repeatedly rape your corpse for saying that.

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

I do enjoy it when sanctimonious arseholes make the case for atheism stronger than any rational deconstruction of faith ever could.

I honestly can't hear the volume properly on your video Joe, so I'm just going to have to ignore it. Sorry.

Sounds fine for me, and I have it on the lowest volume setting... Curious.

#33 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

Yes, but beliefs are directly correlated to actions.

I honestly can't hear the volume properly on your video Joe, so I'm just going to have to ignore it. Sorry.

Yes...there are fanatics though and they happen to be the most vocal but then I can say that about anything really.

Back onto commenting about the video the last part was great, I've been humming that tune in my head for a while now :p

I wonder what comments you'll receive from your video on youtube. Hmmmm

Edited by Faval, 28 October 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#34 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

Yes, but beliefs are directly correlated to actions.

Belief in everyone's rights to be treated fairly and belief in a higher power are very separate things.

While "beliefs" may influence actions, the specific belief in a higher power is unnecessary for a person to formulate a proper set of morals.

#35 Slawter

Slawter
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

God can be flawed by one word: Darwin

+ high fives to all who "give a rats arse"

Edited by Slawter, 28 October 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#36 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

I'm an atheist so I'm going to hunt you down, kill you and repeatedly rape your corpse for saying that.

I'm an agnostic so I'll believe you when I see it :p

God can be flawed by one word: Darwin

Not flawed but his role is reduced

http://en.wikipedia....God_of_the_gaps

#37 Slawter

Slawter
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Not flawed but his role is reduced

What would you reduce his role to in the creation of the universe? Every living thing is proven to be the work of evolution?

#38 coqs

coqs
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

kind of OT

I saw the video, but I have nothing to say about it, I think you're right and this would be a meaningless comment... BUT, I love the way you say "either" so I saw the video again and again, and since I had nothing to do, I made you a picture... I hope you don't feel offended (and if you are, just tell me and I'll erase this or whatever)
Spoiler

#39 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

Why would I be offended!? That's awesome!
Thank you ^_^

#40 coqs

coqs
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

Why would I be offended!? That's awesome!
Thank you ^_^

Idk, people on the internets always have the weirdest reactions to everything

I'm glad you liked it ♥

#41 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

Dude, Coqs he should frame that. Not get offended. You should sign that

I wish I had your skills. I have to draw a picture of a Medieval Nun for this project, I look forward to putting my crayons to use and have my drawing mistaken for a 6 year olds :p

What would you reduce his role to in the creation of the universe? Every living thing is proven to be the work of evolution?

The dude who set everything in motion? Created the laws of physics which enabled evolution? Possibly even created evolution himself (I don't know how a theist would respond :p). Darwin didn't flaw God, just the theories giving him responsibility for certain things

#42 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

Yes, but if that specific belief system may act as a catalyst for becoming a better person, then why should we reject it out right?

Also, coqs, that is amazing... lol

You said beliefs and actions were directly related implying that belief in God makes a person better by default or vice versa. It was a disturbing implication :|

#43 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

Yes, but if that specific belief system may act as a catalyst for becoming a better person, then why should we reject it out right?

Also, coqs, that is amazing... lol

Hmm, I wonder if there's like a list of things people have done in the name of God out there. I bet the list would be huge as I can imagine quite a few things...like wars, sacrifices, terrorism.

And that sketch looks just like him :o

Edited by Faval, 28 October 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#44 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:53 AM

godis not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, Christopher Hitchens.
Every atheist, agnostic, and anti-theist should read.

#45 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:33 AM

Eh, if God is a source of happiness and comfort or even reason (lol I know, reason and religion yeaah.) to some people, then that's fine. However I don't like it when they try to enforce those said beliefs to others... especially children who don't know better. God is not an answer to every single thing (like getting fired... IT'S GODS PLAN!!!1) but I'm not going to bash people or hate them for their beliefs.

#46 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

godis not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, Christopher Hitchens.
Every atheist, agnostic, and anti-theist should read.

I actually have that one one on my bookshelf. Yellow hard-cover if I remember correctly. I didn't like it though.. I do follow some of Hitchen's writings (in Slate), however this book just didn't mesh with me. It seemed a little too 'one-sided', and biased from the get-go. (Which I was expecting, it is Hitchens after all.)
More my style (at this point in time) would be something like - "The God Part of the Brain", by Mathew Alper, or "The Evolution of God", by Robert Wright. They both take a more holistic and less aggressive stance towards religion. I highly recommend them! :thumbsup:

Edited by jaredennisclark, 29 October 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#47 Magic

Magic
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

I have absolutely no interest in religion. I don't find it to be a compelling idea at all. It doesn't say anything interesting about the universe or organize any of our existing theories. It's just... bland.

Though if people want to believe in it, they can go ahead. However, I don't think they should be allowed into the education or political systems.

#48 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

I have absolutely no interest in religion. I don't find it to be a compelling idea at all. It doesn't say anything interesting about the universe or organize any of our existing theories. It's just... bland.

Though if people want to believe in it, they can go ahead. However, I don't think they should be allowed into the education or political systems.

I find it fascinating. The way it effects nearly every aspect of a person's life - their thoughts, morals, conversations, etc. There is nothing else like it in this world. It is most definitely not something to be ignored, but something to be studied and dissected. It's a peep-hole into the way our minds work.

#49 Magic

Magic
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

I find it fascinating. The way it effects nearly every aspect of a person's life - their thoughts, morals, conversations, etc. There is nothing else like it in this world. It is most definitely not something to be ignored, but something to be studied and dissected. It's a peep-hole into the way our minds work.

Oh, as a psychological concept it is very interesting, that's not even up for debate. I could talk about that for hours. *psychology student* Religious people don't like it when you treat it that way though. ;)

I just meant that the concept of the existence of God is useless to me as a framework of understanding. (To propose an alternative so I'm not just shooting down ideas here, I try to conceptualize things in terms of natural selection. It's the most rational principle I can think of to organize my understanding of things.)

#50 Sockoo

Sockoo
  • 506 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

i think that the religion and science should not be mixed, because religion when is mixed only hinders research and stuff, if you believe in a god or something, good for you. But do not hinder those who try to change this view of 1000 years that we need an invisible man to have a balanced society. Like some religious people who do not leave cloning research, stem cells walk.
Sorry bad english

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users