Photo

Advanced member status

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#26 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

well the way i suggested it would make it so that there wouldn't need to be much policing, at least after everyone figures the system out.

Like i said above in post number 20, make it so that the +repper would have to type their reasoning for +rep, as well as to allow them to choose the amount of rep to dish out between the numbers of 1-10 or less.

Since people do see if a post is repped, they would be able to report posts that shouldn't be repped to begin with themselves. The mods would only have to police the reported posts, or what they see themselves while browsing the forum. We wouldn't have a problem with people making many accounts to rep themselves either cause thats against the rules anyway, and i assume you track multi accounts through IP

Make the punishment for meaningless repping really high and the problem should go away on its own within a week or so after the system is implemented.

Yes, that could be a option.
Maybe you can code that for the mods, suggest a better idea

Or we could just leave the things just like they are right now...

#27 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

of course, its not like things dont work right now, but maybe in the future it could be a bit better, to the benefit of the community

#28 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

Yes, that could be a option.
Maybe you can code that for the mods, suggest a better idea

almost everything that was suggested requires some coding or a lot of moderator time though.. wether it was -1 post count a day or contest per week
i mean it is just a suggestion ; \

Edited by frostz, 22 May 2011 - 08:52 AM.

#29 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

almost everything that was suggested requires some coding or a lot of moderator time though.. wether it was -1 post count a day or contest per week
i mean it is just a suggestion ; \

The -1 post a day option desn't require as much work as the latest options.
What I mean is that the idea, once is coded, can work by itself.

#30 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

well the way i suggested it would make it so that there wouldn't need to be much policing, at least after everyone figures the system out.

Like i said above in post number 20, make it so that the +repper would have to type their reasoning for +rep, as well as to allow them to choose the amount of rep to dish out between the numbers of 1-10 or less.

Since people do see if a post is repped, they would be able to report posts that shouldn't be repped to begin with themselves. The mods would only have to police the reported posts, or what they see themselves while browsing the forum. We wouldn't have a problem with people making many accounts to rep themselves either cause thats against the rules anyway, and i assume you track multi accounts through IP

Make the punishment for meaningless repping really high and the problem should go away on its own within a week or so after the system is implemented.

There will always be noobs who abuse it and start trading rep, just because, "Everyone else is doing it"

/end thread.

#31 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

There will always be noobs who abuse it and start trading rep, just because, "Everyone else is doing it"

/end thread.

thats what the report button is for obviously. How could "everyone else be doing it" if it is blatantly against the rules. They would have all been banned a long time ago. Under my proposed system, abusers would be obvious and would be gone pretty soon. Repping a post with no good reason, and is reported? ==> warning ==> ban. Or removal from the rep system.

if someone is doing something that "everyone else is doing it" whatever it may be and reporting them brings about no results then maybe that's because whatever they were doing is not against the rules.

Think on that.

#32 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

I think I recall a mod stating a long time ago that moderating/reducing rep is a whole lot more tedious than reducing post count. I don't think any of them needs the extra work :/ And then who's the say the posts that do deserve rep will be rep'd?

#33 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

I think I recall a mod stating a long time ago that moderating/reducing rep is a whole lot more tedious than reducing post count. I don't think any of them needs the extra work :/ And then who's the say the posts that do deserve rep will be rep'd?

Thats simple you provide an incentive to take part in the rep system. Make reputation worth something, like iono if the site could create a system like that diablo 2 site that used forum gold, and reputation could be traded for currency, then that would be a pretty good incentive.

Actually the idea would be pretty revolutionary because if the site can come up with a currency that trumps neopoints (or have an exchange value similar to neopoints), and assuming that people could be convinced to switch over to it then this site would become dominant over every other neopets fan site out there.

Edited by frostz, 22 May 2011 - 11:08 AM.

#34 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Yeah
People that get repped for helping have to ask fr it (it's ridiculous, but it is)
I have seen some people underselling themselves for getting rep, while some troll-like comments get +repped.

Posted Image

Trolls and flamers would be more benefited than peple who actualy helps.

#35 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

I agree with leaving things as they are currently. Everything is normally fine, except when we have people who want to reach Advanced in a few days. It's really not worth the time and effort to redo the system just to deal with those people. And I really am against the idea of turning Codex into a site where people are just waiting to report someone: "Omg you repped Sweeney!! REPORTED!"

I just realised, we don't get to see who has repped a certain post. So who exactly is going to be reported? The person whose post got the rep? "I demand you decrement his rep". This entire thing is silly actually now that I've thought about it a bit more.

Edited by Ladida, 22 May 2011 - 11:10 AM.

#36 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

I agree with leaving things as they are currently. Everything is normally fine, except when we have people who want to reach Advanced in a few days. It's really not worth the time and effort to redo the system just to deal with those people. And I really am against the idea of turning Codex into a site where people are just waiting to report someone: "Omg you repped Sweeney!! REPORTED!"

I just realised, we don't get to see who has repped a certain post. So who exactly is going to be reported? The person whose post got the rep? "I demand you decrement his rep". This entire thing is silly actually now that I've thought about it a bit more.

well the forum would probably have to be recoded as the above poster said, but under my proposition, the moderators would be able to see who repped the post as well as the reason for the rep. If a post doesn't really deserve to be repped, then you just report the post and everyone who had repped would be penalized should the moderator think that it is being abused.

Besides its not like the moderators don't deal with "real spammers" under the current system i watched that guy with 250 posts get banned this morning for posting "...." threads all over one of the sub forums.

Edited by frostz, 22 May 2011 - 11:16 AM.

#37 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

well the forum would probably have to be recoded

Yep, and I'm 100% sure that's not going to happen. Not worth the time and effort just to deal with a few spammy spammers. Post count reduction is simpler and already in place.

#38 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

well the forum would probably have to be recoded as the above poster said, but under my proposition, the moderators would be able to see who repped the post as well as the reason for the rep. If a post doesn't really deserve to be repped, then you just report the post and everyone who had repped would be penalized should the moderator think that it is being abused.

Besides its not like the moderators don't deal with "real spammers" under the current system i watched that guy with 250 posts get banned this morning for posting "...." threads all over one of the sub forums.

and I watch you getting 50+ posts every single day, gravedigging every single topic. i wonder who is the spammer.

#39 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

and I watch you getting 50+ posts every single day, gravedigging every single topic. i wonder who is the spammer.

It should be more peaceful once they get to 500 posts.

#40 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

It should be more peaceful once they get to 500 posts.

but thats where the problem is.. you just let them spam their way to 500, just so they dont bother you anymore.. I dont know, thats not the solution for me..

#41 jungle

jungle
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

That's more posts then I've done my whole time here, and I also want to get to 500 posts, but I'm not gonna spam around for it.

#42 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

the thing is with frostz is that he posts without reading what the topic is about. like in the extreme potato counter thread, he started posting without knowing anything about the game , and then argues to get more posts. i dont know why he wants advanced member status so badly...

#43 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

but thats where the problem is.. you just let them spam their way to 500, just so they dont bother you anymore.. I dont know, thats not the solution for me..

U jelly cause frostz will reach advanced tomorrow.
jk

#44 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

I don't let them spam their way to 500, if it was up to me he'd have no posts, but they're not my rules.

#45 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

U jelly cause frostz will reach advanced tomorrow.
jk

why does everyone say that.. im not jealous. i dont care about advanced. im satisfied with member... im pissed with abrosia cuz i get restock banned every time.... i dont care anymore.

#46 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

why does everyone say that.. im not jealous. i dont care about advanced. im satisfied with member... im pissed with abrosia cuz i get restock banned every time.... i dont care anymore.

1- I wasn't quting you (at least not the account yu are susing right now)
2- I was jk

(you might want to gogle the meaning of "jk")

#47 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

I say up the post requirement to 13,000.

#48 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

I say up the post requirement to 13,000.

so frostz would be advanced in, mm, 5 more days :p?

#49 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

I don't let them spam their way to 500, if it was up to me he'd have no posts, but they're not my rules.

I wish you would rule <3

#50 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

another good idea, but requires some old members of the forum to help out, its have requirements, and once you get them (like 300posts, 30 rep and 2 helfull posts), you can apply.. and they see what you did, and tell you you are in, or to work a bit harder on something specific... I think something like this would make a more helpfull, and less spammy community

That's just the way people used to get on private and all that, way too many people reaching advanced to make this real.

Simple solution is to move up the programs to private/retired+ and make people apply for them. lolololol Neocodex riot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users