Quantcast

Photo

Would you rather live in a world where Harry Potter were real or pokemon?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

Mechanics would work exactly as depicted in each medium. Example: Kids don't go to school and battle in the forest catching bug pokemon. There is no mana pool in harry potter. The only condition is that everyone else in the world has exactly the same access you do. You have a very small chance of having Voldemort/Mewtwo level abilities.

Also: this was hilarious

Spoiler

#2 jioge

jioge
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Pokemon... you can own as many as you want and can force them to labor for you. Furthermore, you can sit there and battle all day for power without getting hurt. Among my friends, it would be a constant melee right outside a Pokemon Center, so that as soon as someone lost they would get healed and keep fighting. That sounds fun to me...

#3 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Oh, Harry Potter for sure!
I'd rather have magical powers myself than depending on my Pokémon

#4 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

al;sdfjl;asdf

which one. :o

Oh. POkemon. It's so much harder to get killed and die and stuff in that than HP. xD;

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

Pokemon has Snorlax, Harry Potter does not.

The decision is easy.

#6 ShinaDutchAD

ShinaDutchAD
  • Banned from trading! Do not trade with this member!

• 532 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

I'd totally go with Pokemon.

Being able to roam the world with awesome creatures.....I've always dreamed of being a Gym Leader.

I'd have a Ninetales that would be by my side foreevveerrrrrr <3

#7 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Pokemon

Life fulfilled.

Edited by Pilot, 25 October 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#8 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

If I were a wizard, Harry Potter. If i were a normal citizen, fuck that, anyone can be a pokemon trainer (or at least just 9000 togepis)

#9 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

HP fosure.
Can pokemon cook for you?

While searching that up, I found this http://www.jarusa.com/pokemon/

#10 MahSugah

MahSugah
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

um. Harry Potter. no question. c'mon Hermoine Granger? Emma Watson? c'mon

#11 onethreezerotwo

onethreezerotwo
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Ugh. I could make arguments for both. I like the companionship of Pokemon, but it would be awesome to be able to do magic...

#12 repap

repap
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Depends which "version" of Harry Potter we're talking about. Supposedly the wizard society is spread throughout the world and many cultures, but when Voldemort, the biggest threat the community has ever faced appears, they can only muster about a hundred Hogwarts children and/or parents to come help fight him.

#13 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Harry potter because ultimately in pokemon, whatever "power" you possess is not your own. Your charizard could very well turn around and eat you and there is nothing you could do about it.

Even though the harry potter magic system is underpowered and broken (not well thought out), at least you can still bend reality to your will without asking your "collection of wands" if they are happy enough to do as you ask.

Now if i had the option to be a pokemon on the other hand....thats different.....

Pokemon... you can own as many as you want and can force them to labor for you. Furthermore, you can sit there and battle all day for power without getting hurt. Among my friends, it would be a constant melee right outside a Pokemon Center, so that as soon as someone lost they would get healed and keep fighting. That sounds fun to me...

The topic is would you rather live in a "world" with either harry potter or pokemon being real as depicted in each medium. Since a video game is not created with any real world/pretend real world mechanics in mind and only incorporates game play and linear plot device, it is impossible to live in such a world. Therefore this world cannot be based upon the video game medium and mechanics and we must naturally use the adaptation that can be applied to real life.

As such we cannot take into account Harry Potter Video games or Pokemon Video game mechanics and must use the depictions from the books, animated shows, and movies as a basis. This is because such would make the most sense to apply to a "real world" and these adaptations take into consideration people, pokemon, etc as actual living things instead of just numbers on a character sheet.

People get broken and tossed around all the time, because in a real pokemon battle the trainer is as much a target as the actual pokemon. This is of course down played in the anime adaptation since it was done with kids in mind (although it does occasionally happen) but in the manga this is incorporated into the actual plot and the fights can get pretty violent. In the anime it is probably a league rule that you are not allowed to attack the trainer in a pokemon battle, but it isn't in the manga adaptation as can be seen in various gym battles and tournaments.

Therefore it is impossible for you to battle over and over again in front of the pokemon center while sitting there all day and "gaining levels" because that is nothing but a game mechanic. Levels are a game mechanic to depict garnered skill, but skill progression is not linear in the "real world".
Besides its not even possible in the anime adaptation much less the manga adaptation because your pokemon would probably die if it were forced to fight like that all the time. Unlike a video game, if pokemon were "real" as per the title of the topic states, then they would be subject to limitations just like everyone else in the real world. They would not magically regenerate to full health and power in 2 seconds by talking to the Nurse.

(image from pokemon adventures manga, note the pokemon getting its head chopped off)
Posted Image

Depends which "version" of Harry Potter we're talking about. Supposedly the wizard society is spread throughout the world and many cultures, but when Voldemort, the biggest threat the community has ever faced appears, they can only muster about a hundred Hogwarts children and/or parents to come help fight him.

Honestly the only reason Voldemort is even possible as a threat is due to plot device. In a place with a theoretically unblockable and spammable death spell, "unless your aim is exceptionally bad, or someone jumps in the way of the beam" that can be learned by anyone who genuinely wants to kill something, you'd think Voldemort would already have been assassinated or at least killed by Dumbledore in their duel if he had bothered to use that spell. Same goes for Dumbledore, he only lives because of plot device. If Voldemort really wanted him out of the way why did their battle consist of transmutations and elemental magic instead of death spell spamming?

Especially when you take into consideration the fact that Voldemort unlike many real world terrorists that everyone wants to kill doesn't actually hide out in caves in the middle of nowhere with his followers doing all his dirty work. He likes to walk in and demonstrate his magical might and superiority. He would have been killed hundreds of times over, since unlike the D&D universe, the protection spells that were ever shown in Harry Potter are pretty weak and are mostly reactionary. Meaning that if he does not see an attack coming it will probably always hit instead of being deflected by a precast magical defense. (and again its pretty much stated that there is no defense against the death spell, Failures by people who know what they are doing that were depicted were always the result of something getting in the way, so we can also assume that with bad aim the spell can miss)

Unlike many settings with magic, Voldemort is not the sole magic user or the ruler of a group who has a monopoly on magic in a certain realm or country. He is not trying to take over the "muggle" world where no one but a few can bend reality but the magical one where everyone can use magic. Its therefore "realistically" impossible for him to ever gain any sort of permanent power base or support when we take into account that anyone could probably just fly around on a broom and snipe him without realizing it with a death spell (again there is no mention of any durational or static magical protections that blocks curses or dark magic, though there are some that can block elemental magics for a period of time. All curses have always been blocked with a wand, or protego (reactionary shield spell) and other types of attacks such as summons and elemental magic have always been blocked through quick transmutations and conjurations never shields or spells of resistance to elements)

Also if anyone even Harry Potter and his friends can use the Imperius curse (mind control curse) in the final book without any actual training then why wouldn't someone have just used it on Voldemort already or at least to mass spam the spell at his followers when they start marching around in public (Saying they would not be used because its illegal doesn't really apply, i mean no one put Harry and friends in jail for using the unforgivable curses against the antagonists anyway, these things get overlooked if the situation calls for it)? There is no depiction of the enchantment ever being resisted or blocked. (honestly this is why i say that the harry potter magic system is completely borked)

Edited by frostz, 25 October 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#14 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

I dream of Pokemon day and night... My Kangaskhan and I would rule the world!

Regardless of the dangers exhibited in the manga (which I own, love, and read about once a year), I think I would manage just fine... I'm fleet of foot and quick of mind, I could handle myself. Doesn't the danger only add to the excitement? Much more intriguing than sitting in a Hogwarts dorm room and playing with my dick.

#15 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

This is a little secret but,
when I was a kid and my mom told me that I could make a wish whenever my eye lash fell out, or whenever the clock said "11:11" I would wish for the same thing over and over again.
Yep that's right:
I wished that world would be like Pokemon Posted Image
I still kind of wish it was so that I wouldn't have to go to college, haha.

#16 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

Harry Potter! I got excited just seeing this thread! I *am* the Dark Lord.

#17 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

I wished that world would be like Pokemon

Wished? Past tense? I'm 23 now, and still wish to live in Kanto everytime I blow out my candles.

Even if I know it'll never happen in this lifetime...
Posted Image

Edited by Abradix, 26 October 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#18 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Harry Potter world. Becoming the Supreme Ruler of the World would be easy there.

#19 gummis

gummis
  • 58 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:30 AM

Holy crap, I don't want to live in either of these world. In Harry Potter, muggle=fair game when the wands are out, and Pokemon world? It's even worse, there's apparently no ASPCA, you can only get parental involvement if you defeat like 5000 gym leaders, and lets not forget that there are way too many Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys. I mean, what would happen if you went into the pokemon STD clinic just to get regular testing? All the nurse Joys would know!!!

#20 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

I'd go for Harry Potter and learn to conjure a Pokemon.

#21 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

Pokemon. Easily. I've always loved Pokemon and I've always wished that I could have my own little bastards to run around with and do whatever I want. Plus, I'd have to be as awesome as this legend:
Spoiler

Edited by Plunk, 27 October 2011 - 01:42 AM.

#22 Sammiantha

Sammiantha
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

Definitely Harry Potter, absolutely love the idea of being able to do magic!

Plus Pokemon always seemed quite dull to me, wouldn't want to be wandering around and have something jump out at me with just a little pikachu to defend me - a wand would be better :)

#23 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

Harry Potter!!!
Magic is amazing. <3

Plus, I'd love to fly on a broomstick. :p

#24 sebastudsf

sebastudsf
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

Harry potter world *_*!

#25 DreadPirateRoberts

DreadPirateRoberts
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

the problem with a pokemon world is everyone can't be ash but everyone is used to playing as him.
a pokemon world would be so fun if you just sat on route 32 with your ratatat and just lose every battle.
.: potentially being a wizard > pokemon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users