Photo

Dreams and Meanings

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I really love looking up what a dream means as soon as I have one. It helps me understand myself better and things that I want or need in life. I thought this would make for a fun discussion topic :D

Here's the dream I had last night:
It had an apocalyptic vibe but instead of zombies it was dinosaurs. It was as if the island of Jurassic Park was divided into two; a suburban city and then the dinosaurs, divided by a large wall. My dream took place years after some horrible event where the wall had gotten destroyed and the dinosaurs took over the city. The only people left were me and some of my family and friends and we became pros at trying to survive under these conditions. We all lived in a rather nice house. A T-Rex decided to start snooping around our neighborhood, but we knew what to do. I had to go around the house closing all the blinds and we had to stay low and keep quiet until it left. As I was closing the curtains and what not, a few of my friends were giggling and fooling around and I got pissed and said, "You all need to shut the hell up or we're all gonna die!" Among them was this girl I really like and she got upset that I yelled at her so I kissed her and told her everything would be alright. Then a boobie trap we'd set for the dinosaur went off in an explosion on the corner of the street, then another explosion went off a few blocks away, and scared the dinosaur away. Then we had to clean up the mess from the explosion...

Here's what I found out about my dream after looking up various different pieces of it:
1. Seeing a dinosaur in your dream, symbolizes an outdated attitude. You may need to discard your old ways of thinking and habits. Dreaming that you are being chased by a dinosaur indicates your fears of no longer being needed or useful. Alternatively, being chased by a dinosaur, may reflect old issues that are still coming back to haunt you.
(Accurate)
2. Dreaming of the acopalypse may have a deep religious meaning for you. Listen to the message, does it correspond to a fact or a stage in your life? Maybe it is a wake up call for you. It might indicate that it is time for change,at a social and emotional level, and you might have already started this process of change without even noticing it.
(Weird and accurate)
3. Dreaming that you are hiding, suggests that you are keeping some secret or withholding some information. You may not be facing up to a situation or not want to deal with an issue. However, you may be getting ready to reveal and confess before somebody finds out. Dreaming that you are somebody else is hiding indicates a need for security and protection.
(Pretty accurate)
4. Dreaming of a kiss indicates love, affection, tranquility, harmony, and contentment.
(Very extremely accurate)
5. Seeing explosions in your dream means a loss and displeasure in business. It may also mean that your repressed emotions and rage have come to the surface in a forceful and violent manner. Hearing the sound of a loud explosion, but you did not see it means that your troubles will soon be replaced with tranquility after you have overcome some small obstacle.
(Accurate)
6. Dreaming that you are cleaning, implies that you are removing some negativity in your life and overcoming major obstacles. You are moving ahead toward a new stage in your life.
(Accurate)

Sooo, that was my dream. Feel free to share ones of your own. If you don't wanna share what it means then you can just tell us about the dream ^_^ This is fun.

(I used hyperdictionary.com to find these meanings, but almost any online dream dictionary will work.)

Edited by EveMazing, 10 January 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#2 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

I actually remember a part of a dream from last night. I rarely remember dreaming at all, so it's kind of neat that you posted this today.

I was in what felt like a shopping mall food court or a workplace or something. It had lots of tables and chairs in it. On the far wall of the room was a very bright light source that was shaped sort of like a partitioned sun and was the full size of the wall. Every few minutes, a loud buzzer would go off. When that happened, it meant that the sun would begin to emit light that was so strong and so hot that if it touched any part of you, you would die. So every few minutes of my dream, there was a scramble to get under a table and cover myself with a cloth so that the full strength of the hot, bright sunlight would not touch me.

Edited by nymh, 10 January 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#3 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

1. Seeing a dinosaur in your dream, symbolizes an outdated attitude. You may need to discard your old ways of thinking and habits. Dreaming that you are being chased by a dinosaur indicates your fears of no longer being needed or useful. Alternatively, being chased by a dinosaur, may reflect old issues that are still coming back to haunt you.
(Accurate)
2. Dreaming of the acopalypse may have a deep religious meaning for you. Listen to the message, does it correspond to a fact or a stage in your life? Maybe it is a wake up call for you. It might indicate that it is time for change,at a social and emotional level, and you might have already started this process of change without even noticing it.
(Weird and accurate)
3. Dreaming that you are hiding, suggests that you are keeping some secret or withholding some information. You may not be facing up to a situation or not want to deal with an issue. However, you may be getting ready to reveal and confess before somebody finds out. Dreaming that you are somebody else is hiding indicates a need for security and protection.
(Pretty accurate)
4. Dreaming of a kiss indicates love, affection, tranquility, harmony, and contentment.
(Very extremely accurate)
5. Seeing explosions in your dream means a loss and displeasure in business. It may also mean that your repressed emotions and rage have come to the surface in a forceful and violent manner. Hearing the sound of a loud explosion, but you did not see it means that your troubles will soon be replaced with tranquility after you have overcome some small obstacle.
(Accurate)
6. Dreaming that you are cleaning, implies that you are removing some negativity in your life and overcoming major obstacles. You are moving ahead toward a new stage in your life.
(Accurate)

Sooo, that was my dream. Feel free to share ones of your own. If you don't wanna share what it means then you can just tell us about the dream ^_^ This is fun.

(I used hyperdictionary.com to find these meanings, but almost any online dream dictionary will work.)

I love the vagueness of each explanation. Notice how you can say say everything is accurate to some degree? That's because most people can relate to the "meaning". Its a load of bullshit. /asshole

#4 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Oh wow, that's pretty intense. I wouldn't even know where to begin to start interpretting that...

:[ It's meant to be fun.

Edited by EveMazing, 10 January 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#5 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

:[ It's meant to be fun.

I don't know what that's like. I'm the leader of the anti-fun brigade.

#6 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

I actually remember a part of a dream from last night. I rarely remember dreaming at all, so it's kind of neat that you posted this today.

I was in what felt like a shopping mall food court or a workplace or something. It had lots of tables and chairs in it. On the far wall of the room was a very bright light source that was shaped sort of like a partitioned sun and was the full size of the wall. Every few minutes, a loud buzzer would go off. When that happened, it meant that the sun would begin to emit light that was so strong and so hot that if it touched any part of you, you would die. So every few minutes of my dream, there was a scramble to get under a table and cover myself with a cloth so that the full strength of the hot, bright sunlight would not touch me.

Erm idk if it helps but I looked up bright and got this:
Dreaming that something is bright, represents divinity, a higher consciousness, and spirituality. You need to honor an admirable person or situation. The dream may also be a metaphor for intellect and someone who is smart. If the brightness is blinding, then it suggests that you are not paying attention to some new insights.
Then sunshine:
Dreaming of sunshine indicates that you are experiencing some sort of emotional or situational breakthrough. You are headed on the right track.
And light:
Seeing light in your dream indicates a clear mind, plain understanding, and insight. Light has been shed on a once cloudy situation or problem. You have found the truth to a situation or an answer to a problem. Seeing a bright light in your dream indicates that you need to move toward a higher level of awareness and feeling. Bright light dreams are sometimes common for those who are near death.

Edited by EveMazing, 10 January 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#7 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have these weird dreams often: I usually start up facing a wall of a lot of numbers and stuff, then I usually get really distressed and start running around hallways. Then I usually wake up. Downstairs.

Ok, so:
Numbers - Seeing numbers in your dream means unsettled conditions in business resulting in uneasiness and dissatisfaction.
Distress - Dreaming that you or others are in distress, suggest that things will turn out better than you expected. You will find that all your worries were for nothing and need to lighten up.
Hallways - Long period of worry.

So I'm giving myself mixed messages? :D

#8 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

So I'm giving myself mixed messages? :D

maybe it means different situations. like two things, one will cause you to worry for a while and one will clear up.

#9 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Random neurons firing in your brain, nothing more.

Unless you're lucid dreaming, but that's entirely different. When you have a measure of control, a measure of conscious input, you can't really say that it's a dream, can you? ;)

#10 Rainie

Rainie
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

I usually remember a little bit of my dream right when I wake up, and then 5 minutes later I forget everything cX ~

I had an incredibly strange dream yesterday (well, today at around 1AM) though o3o
I was at the cafe that I work at and then this blue small talking fox came in O_o. It ordered a coffee and then after it drank it, it turned into a mushroom (o__o). Then.. something happened in the middle that I can't remember (cX) and suddenly I was at my school's library, and there was a cupcake on a table (:o !). When I walked towards it my friend Tae showed up out of nowhere wearing this knight-armor-thingy (which I found perfectly normal at that time o3o) and told me that I couldn't pass for some stupid reason that I can't remember.. and then some stuff happened.. and afterwards I was suddenly doing a history test but all the words were in Korean (which barely makes any sense since I have very limited Korean-characters knowledge cx), and then I woke up o3o

#11 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

maybe it means different situations. like two things, one will cause you to worry for a while and one will clear up.

Hmm. It's like a Viking saga...

Unless you're lucid dreaming, but that's entirely different. When you have a measure of control, a measure of conscious input, you can't really say that it's a dream, can you? ;)

Yeah, but it'd still be pretty badass. I'd just be riding on down to the hood, some John Barrowman blaring out the speaker. Lush. :)

#12 Tomo

Tomo
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

I remember learning in my psychology class (or maybe it was something else..) that if you recall your dreams vividly after you wake up, you're stressed. Not sure if that's accurate since I remember my dreams clearly all the time and I'm pretty sure I'm not stressed all the time.

I tried to do the whole lucid dreaming stuff before but it never really worked. Something like how your body has to go to sleep before your mind does? I roll around too much in bed anyways, I can't keep my body still enough to even begin lucid dreaming.

#13 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

This is pretty cool. Not just the meanings but what other people dream about is very interesting.

I usually don't remember my dreams sadly; if I have any dreams tonight I will make sure to write it down here first thing!

Edited by Cold, 10 January 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#14 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

I had an extremely vivid nightmare last night. It might sound stupid posted here but it was really scary at the time and I didn't feel rested at all after I woke up.

Anyway, I was in a 1984/the Hunger Games/Battle Royale world. First, I time-travelled back to the 1940's and when they found out that I was from the future, I had to escape back to 2012 before they decided to kill me (don't ask why). Then I was eating sushi (best part of the dream that was actually good x3 - the sushi was absolutely delicious!) at this sushi bar and suddenly I was with a bunch of people. Some I knew and others I didn't. I realized that we were being hunted down by these strange people (kind of like Big Brother in 1984?) and that they were killing us off one by one. We all began to eat at this fancy dinner table at a pier - I dream about eating a lot. x3 One guy was killed after being stuffed in a giant vacuum and having his head sucked off his body. Err... basically it was quite violent and two others nearly drowned. Then the people came chasing after me, so I started flying & teleporting around the place. xD Then I woke up. The end.

#15 baby0firefly

baby0firefly
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

I always dream about people I don't know. Lucid dreaming? waking up in a dream and controlling the rest of the dream? If that's right I've done that before.

#16 BugsBunny

BugsBunny
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

I dreamt about me being a KPOP superstar on stage with the bright lights and everyone screaming then I blanked out... Then i was dreaming about pokemon and how i owned a gym o_0. I used Fire/Water/Dragon pokemon and then I was dreaming about me having mystical powers in the forest and how everyone wanted to capture me for some retarded reason o_0. I seriously dream of the most random things.

#17 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

I pretty much end up getting killed one way or another in my dreams before I finish them. I often get chased and get angry with people in them.

Personally, I find 'deeper meanings' to be a bunch of bullcrap. To me, dreaming is your subconscious. Although somedays I go 'where the hell did that come from?' most of it, is definitely is what's hidden away in my head. Even if I completely forget it for the day. I have never been able to take a deep, symbolic meaning of a dream. In fact, I don't know if I've had any that require that. They're all so direct, it'd sorta hard.

LIke, for instance, a big fear for me is getting angry with people and hurting them and heights. My dreams don't bend around the bush with that. I literally fall from gigantic heights, and I get pissy. I have never had, say a tornado dream, and felt that it 'represented the chaos in my life' It just doesn't work that way for me.

Another point to this is that all the people you see in your dreams you've seen before. Your brain has thousands of images and faces to cycle through.

<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">
If it was indeed truly random, an actual dream about things you care about would be rare. or rather, a dream that made sense would be rare.

If you read the nuclear crap from Russia or w/e its' from, that's a definite place where this could've come from. As in, why you dreamed about an Apocalypse at all.

idk. That probably doesn't help you, but that could possibly be. /had to say it

I've always wanted to Lucid dream, but I don't dream too much regardless. It's rare that I dream, and I wish I could do it more. /le sigh

#18 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

All I want is a dream with my waifu, IT'S ALL I ASK OF MY BRAIN.

And yet, after all the begging, it just gives boring dreams like seeing a movie and walking home afterwards.

So boring.

#19 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

I remember learning in my psychology class (or maybe it was something else..) that if you recall your dreams vividly after you wake up, you're stressed. Not sure if that's accurate since I remember my dreams clearly all the time and I'm pretty sure I'm not stressed all the time.

I tried to do the whole lucid dreaming stuff before but it never really worked. Something like how your body has to go to sleep before your mind does? I roll around too much in bed anyways, I can't keep my body still enough to even begin lucid dreaming.

It isn't stress related anymore than all dreams are stress related. Dreams are the body's way of disk defragmenting after a long day's work. This is why insomniacs often suffer from elevated levels of stress - they don't have the natural outlet for stress that dreaming provides.

If you recall your dreams vividly it's because it was a particularly vivid dream. You are more likely to remember your dreams immediately after waking up than any other time (as one would imagine) but there is no significance to remembering a dream right after waking up.

If it was indeed truly random, an actual dream about things you care about would be rare. or rather, a dream that made sense would be rare.

I've always wanted to Lucid dream, but I don't dream too much regardless. It's rare that I dream, and I wish I could do it more. /le sigh

It is truly random. A dream featuring things you care about is not rare, because you can only dream about things you know or amalgams of things you know. The brain pulls random information from parts of your brain and combines them - it can't reach into your sister's brain, or the internet to find novel images to use. It must work with the information it has. This is why dreams often feature things or people you know, often doing things that they would not do in a conscious state.

You are correct in saying that a dream that made sense is very rare indeed.

Most people dream every night, provided they get more than 2 hours of sleep consecutively. The trouble is in remembering what you've dreamed.

#20 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

If anyone knows a thing or two about lucid dreaming, I'm having a rather annoying issue.

I used to lucid all the time, always achieving lucidity outside most of the time, and even when it was inside the house I was able to just fly out the window.
Unfortunately, every lucid dream I have now, I seem to get stuck inside the house. The doors are locked as well as the windows, and when I try to walk through the walls I get as far as one arm and then get stuck. :( It's quite annoying.

I keep dreaming my boyfriend is cheating on me but I'm sure that has no symbolism what so ever considering I have my own reasons for being fearful of that situation. It's just my mind letting me know what I'm afraid of... Repeatedly. -_-

#21 nyquil

nyquil
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

I rarely dream myself, I'm sure its more like I'm just not remembering them when i wake up. I have never really analyzed the ones i have had cause will like Hawk i think its a bit far fetched and the explanations are too vague. I have never had any kind of control of my dreams unfortunately :(

My girlfriend on the other hand has kind of the same issue as Adina. She used to always have control, but more and more lately she has been having stress dreams that she can't control when she used to with ease and get away. It is always with her stress dreams where she is stuck, usually she is being hunted, rushing around at her work on a crazy busy day, or dreaming about me cheating (Which I am NOT!).

#22 Aquatine

Aquatine
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

I never put much stock into dream theory and trying to examine my life through what is in my dreams. I like to enjoy them for what they are (assuming they are good dreams).

#23 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

If anyone knows a thing or two about lucid dreaming, I'm having a rather annoying issue.

I used to lucid all the time, always achieving lucidity outside most of the time, and even when it was inside the house I was able to just fly out the window.
Unfortunately, every lucid dream I have now, I seem to get stuck inside the house. The doors are locked as well as the windows, and when I try to walk through the walls I get as far as one arm and then get stuck. :( It's quite annoying.

I lucid dream all the time, and it's so so so much fun. x) It's like going on a vivid, /seemingly/ real adventure. However, it IS annoying when I can't do exactly what I want to do, such as zap a bad guy with my awesome laser skills or something. I can fly though, in most dreams, which is good. :p

#24 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think dreams are partly a vestige of prehistoric humans left behind by evolution. You always hear about people having that classic dream where you're in class and you haven't studied and you're in your underwear. A very stressful and fearful situation for most people. I get a few dreams like this when exam time approaches. Back when I smoked weed still I'd have dreams where I'd get caught by my mom or someone else. When I got into a scuffle with someone I'd have dreams where we fight.

I think in prehistoric times when early humans lived dangerous lives and were in constant threat of being attacked by wild predators, dreams would have helped to prepare them. If you have two apes where one of them has a recurring dream about getting attacked by a wolf and one who dreams about complete nonsense, in all likelihood the first ape is gonna have a better chance of escaping with their life.

But this is all speculation. You'd have to locate some gene that is associated with these kinds of dreams to prove it's true. And it doesn't explain the phenomena of dreams predicting future events or emulating strong emotions, or compressing time.

Laaaaame!

#25 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Laaaaame!

:rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users