• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#51 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

A stockmarket that actually requires some amount of skill would be nice. The Neo stockmarket is completely random and is not affected by the Neopets economy. It would be cool to have a stockmarket that is actually influenced by the buying and selling of goods that happens on the site.

Yes yes yes this would be fantastic! I don't really like how Neo's stockmarket is random, heheh...

Also if a company goes bankrupt, maybe the shop could just completely disappear from the main shops? Not the items from it though of course, but it would definitely make things more interesting! :3 Maybe excluding food/battle item shops would be a good idea though x3

What I would like to see is a site where you can only use 1 pet at a time, but you can own up to 6 (we're running a pokemon style system). As you battle your pets gain small amounts of stats, like if you win then you gain 0.025 of LIF or 0.5 of Speed. Speed has an actual purpose.

Your level does more than just limit the amount you can train a particular stat; your pet 'evolves' as it levels higher into something similar but different (Not necessarily limited to 3 evolutions) we can have special evolutions made available through site plots which warrant special pet abilities, Pet abilities are actually effective and grow more powerful as they are leveled.

There are thousands of different battle systems we can mold off of. Something that is simple yet variable supportive would be ideal in my honest opinion.

A pokemon-style system would be pretty good! Considering how much depth you can add to it but it's still solid as long as you don't make really overpowered moves or introduce Smogon amounts of restrictions and all....

Oh! For like evolutions and all, it would be cool if say you have a pet painted mmm idk Fairy or something, and had it painted that colour at a low level/age, the colour could change/evolve into something 'unique' and wouldn't be available if you painted it past x level/age :3

if... that makes sense!

Edited by Turnip, 07 April 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#52 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

If you got any ideas explain them.

And having 6 pets... Isn't that too much?

Maybe you should have 1 pet and then you need to gain/get you other pets up to 4 or 3... 6 pets is too much to take care of, isn't it?

We also can try think of trading system... (Stock market as mentioned) and so on.

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#53 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

A stockmarket that actually requires some amount of skill would be nice. The Neo stockmarket is completely random and is not affected by the Neopets economy. It would be cool to have a stockmarket that is actually influenced by the buying and selling of goods that happens on the site.

Going off of this idea, lets say someone is investing a lot into the Stamps shop, the value of the Stamp shop should influx based on the increased activity for that shop. Not saying we're gonna have stamps but that is a good example of how the system should be reflected in the stock market.

#54 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

there was a reason it got disconnected.

I hope you guys also have a decent currency situation as keil pointed out(maybe something like torn city? invest for x ammount of days for % interest). They had a interesting system with jobs and the banking

#55 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Going off of this idea, lets say someone is investing a lot into the Stamps shop, the value of the Stamp shop should influx based on the increased activity for that shop. Not saying we're gonna have stamps but that is a good example of how the system should be reflected in the stock market.

So someone who invests a lot in a shop can get VIP?

#56 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

What I would like to see is a site where you can only use 1 pet at a time, but you can own up to 6 (we're running a pokemon style system). As you battle your pets gain small amounts of stats, like if you win then you gain 0.025 of LIF or 0.5 of Speed. Speed has an actual purpose.

Your level does more than just limit the amount you can train a particular stat; your pet 'evolves' as it levels higher into something similar but different (Not necessarily limited to 3 evolutions) we can have special evolutions made available through site plots which warrant special pet abilities, Pet abilities are actually effective and grow more powerful as they are leveled.

There are thousands of different battle systems we can mold off of. Something that is simple yet variable supportive would be ideal in my honest opinion.

What?! A Pokemon-Neopets blend is something I would play the crap out of.

I would love to be able to bet on other peoples' battles too.

#57 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

If I ever win the lottery I'm just going to buy neopets and do it proper.

It goes without saying that the current TNT staff members would all be fired... and physically abused.

#58 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

If you got any ideas explain them.

And having 6 pets... Isn't that too much?

Maybe you should have 1 pet and then you need to gain/get you other pets up to 4 or 3... 6 pets is too much to take care of, isn't it?

We also can try think of trading system... (Stock market as mentioned) and so on.

To be honest, 4 is a pretty small number and causes people to create lots of accounts just to have more :p Don't wanna be clogging up the servers with lots of dead accounts~

But having 20+ on one account is waaaayy too much... So something between 6 - 10 would be best I think!

#59 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

What?! A Pokemon-Neopets blend is something I would play the crap out of.

I would love to be able to bet on other peoples' battles too.

Catching pets! LOL fun. How about adding elements from other worlds? For example... the pet will level up not just by gaining experience but also with the will to protect it's owner O_o

How about having 3 pets you can use in battle, and more 5 pets that you have to keep somewhere but you actually need a minimum time to get them back. And making times when people switch places. If someone is in one city it'll take him time to get somewhere...? (Not too long though, it's annoying)

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#60 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say... By activity, do you mean how much is bought from the shop? If more is bought from the shop, then the value of the stocks go up.

#61 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Touching on the stock idea.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have them, but prices only increase based on how many people buy into that stock?

Pokemon/Neo mashup I must admit would be pretty sweet. Call it... Neomon.. or... PokePets. Hahahaha

#62 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Catching pets! LOL fun. How about adding elements from other worlds? For example... the pet will level up not just by gaining experience but also with the will to protect it's owner O_o

I like this idea!! It could be an alternative to getting Faerie abilities ^^ 

#63 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Just someone will get a VIP and get discounts or something...

And pets running away from owners who don't take care of them.
And if someone have to take a break from game so to make a possible 1 week hiding the pets... Or just hiding all the 8 pets at a special place O_o (paying for the 3 of them, as the other 5 are just kept away from owner and battling)

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#64 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

For the record, I pretty much threw the idea out as a joke, but it certainly would be awesome to see it come to fruition. There are just so many things Neopets does wrong.

From a technical standpoint, I think hosting it on Heroku would be ideal. Ruby, Python, and Java are all supported, so most if not all of the programmers here would be able to tie their pieces into the larger structure. They also offer dozens of tools that make dealing with the nitty-gritty stuff a breeze.

#65 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Just someone will get a VIP and get discounts or something...

And pets running away from owners who don't take care of them.
And if someone have to take a break from game so to make a possible 1 week hiding the pets... Or just hiding all the 8 pets at a special place O_o (paying for the 3 of them, as the other 5 are just kept away from owner and battling)

lol. Like a hide and seek. You have to post in the boards seeing if the other players have seen your pets.

#66 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Allow me to fully explain my stock idea:

User A - Buys 1000 shares in Stamps
User B - Buys 2000 shares in Stamps

Stamp Stock goes up due to having sold 3,000 shares of the total available shares in that stock available.

Stamps get new product available in the Post Office due to this increase in market.

If User A, User B, and Users C-Z sell all their stocks and it crashes the value of Stamps then XX amount of stamps are retired because the "Post Office" can't afford to stay in business. Mini-Plot can ensue or something of the sorts.

#67 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

For the record, I pretty much threw the idea out as a joke, but it certainly would be awesome to see it come to fruition. There are just so many things Neopets does wrong.

From a technical standpoint, I think hosting it on Heroku would be ideal. Ruby, Python, and Java are all supported, so most if not all of the programmers here would be able to tie their pieces into the larger structure. They also offer dozens of tools that make dealing with the nitty-gritty stuff a breeze.

I must admit that java is a little pain in the ass, it's missing an option that once I wanted to use, but I don't think I'll need that option here so I guess java is great =)

lol. Like a hide and seek. You have to post in the boards seeing if the other players have seen your pets.

How about pets that don't want to return to their previous owner that didn't take care for them? :p

#68 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Allow me to fully explain my stock idea:

User A - Buys 1000 shares in Stamps
User B - Buys 2000 shares in Stamps

Stamp Stock goes up due to having sold 3,000 shares of the total available shares in that stock available.

Stamps get new product available in the Post Office due to this increase in market.

If User A, User B, and Users C-Z sell all their stocks and it crashes the value of Stamps then XX amount of stamps are retired because the "Post Office" can't afford to stay in business. Mini-Plot can ensue or something of the sorts.

The only problem I foresee with that approach is if a bunch of people band together to sell their stocks at once. The price crashes and everyone else who invested gets screwed over.

#69 mentalfox

mentalfox
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

The only problem I foresee with that approach is if a bunch of people band together to sell their stocks at once. The price crashes and everyone else who invested gets screwed over.

Then how about little special VIP system? So it'll make sure nothing crashes too fast?

Up to now:
Arena > We want battle system, the wild, and the challenges and contests.
x pets that can battle, x pets that you can keep somewhere. (You start with one pet, the others you need to get).

Trading system > Investments, VIPs, stockmarkets and bankrupts.

World > Something mixed, probably regular pets/wild animals or something that has nothing to do with reality...

Moar ideas on other systems?

Should there be like... one coin system, or gold/silver/copper, etc.?

Edited by mentalfox, 07 April 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#70 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, that's the problem I see too. I just tried to explain that to him irl, not this well though. (thanks)

#71 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, that's the problem I see too. I just tried to explain that to him irl, not this well though. (thanks)

Get him to look up the old neo stock system, it got changed when people grouped up to buy massive amounts of stocks to change the price then they sold at the same point.

#72 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Honestly I don't see the point in discussing the implementation of a stock market system yet... that is something we have plenty of time to develop and mold a stock market system after we have established the rest of the basics.

So... lets get a little more focused on the discussion of the pet aspect, how should the system for acquiring pets work, how could we implement an 'evolution' system? Does anyone have any ideas for a solid trading system? How could we implement shops and what should shops stock?

#73 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Sure there's a lot of things people hate about neopets- but remember it's the business model that keeps any company afloat.
Addiction-> check
Free for anyone-> check
Income from $%&* ton of ads-> check
Targeting the most impressionable with those ads-> check
Parents know that neopets is safe for their children-> check

In order to beat neopets you've gotta check all the above- and more that isn't at the tip of the iceberg (as ink mentioned- the technical time/hurdles)

#74 Steve

Steve
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Honestly I don't see the point in discussing the implementation of a stock market system yet... that is something we have plenty of time to develop and mold a stock market system after we have established the rest of the basics.

So... lets get a little more focused on the discussion of the pet aspect, how should the system for acquiring pets work, how could we implement an 'evolution' system? Does anyone have any ideas for a solid trading system? How could we implement shops and what should shops stock?

Acquiring pets.. Here's an idea.
Have 75% you can create upon sign up or whenever you want
10% from completely random events
10% you can just find around site and have the option to adopt.
5% from potion or item only (kinda like draiks & krawks)

I wish my game theory & analysis course started sooner, it might be of some help here.

Edited by St3v3, 07 April 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#75 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Food. Pets have to eat. Battle equipment. Books, but books could be adjusted to be more for the players than the pets. Like in Neopia, we never actually see what the pets are reading. You could create a contest system for the users for short stories or poems and the winners can get made into books for a book shop that the users can actually read if they feel inclined. You could still make it so it makes the pets more intelligent (cause owners read to them), but it would be so the books have value. They would still have to disappear or be locked after reading though, so they'd maintain value. Medicine, if it's going to be battledome based. They'll need healing stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users