Quantcast

Photo

What's unexpectedly typical for your country?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

We all probably know a stereotype or two about other countries. But what are some things that are typical for your country that's not really obvious?

For example when you sum up stereotypes of the Netherlands people often come up with windmills, wooden shoes and weed. But a less obvious typical thing from the Dutch is food walls (FEBO), apparently. Literally snacks you pull out of a wall. I never realized it wasn't typically done in other countries until I heard a lot of exchange students getting all excited about it.

febo.jpg

What's a less known typical thing for your countries?

#2 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Got so excited for those in Amsterdam...

I have no idea for England. I guess because I just think of everything as typical rather than unexpectedly typical. :p

#3 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I have no idea for England. I guess because I just think of everything as typical rather than unexpectedly typical. :p

This ^^. Idk i've heard we have weird crisps (chips), i saw a danny brown interview where he was amazed by quavers and likened them to crack. I also told Cara about skips and she said "wtf is the point of a chip that dissolves on your tongue"

#4 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Whenever I think of British stereotypes I think of this vid for some reason

#5 pistola

pistola
  • 437 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

most americans are lazy and overweight. at least if you go to a local wal mart.

#6 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Got so excited for those in Amsterdam...

My friend says "they drink as much tea as we joke about. It's ridiculous"

#7 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

My friend says "they drink as much tea as we joke about. It's ridiculous"

Is that unexpected? :p I think that's such a stereotype I just presume everyone accepts it. We do though. It's the answer to all situations. Feeling a bit sad, cup of tea. Catching up with a friend, cup of tea. Want to skive in the kitchen for a bit at work, tea for all.

#8 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm having a hard time thinking of things that are unexpected for my country because the culture is seen so often by others through movies and whatnot that most things are known. The only things I can think of are regional and not America as a whole like my rant about 6ft tall tumbleweeds.

Traffic jams every Sunday from 11-12? I think that's probably something most communities here deal with that might be a little atypical for other countries...

#9 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

FEBO? I've never heard of such thing. But they look amazing and now I'd like to try it! :lol:

About Portugal? Hm, let me see...

We have a long history in brewery and our beers are amazing. Out top brand "Super Bock" is highly known for being even better than world wide brands such as "Heineken" and "Carlsberg" and we're just now being acknowledged "overseas"; better late than never...

It's everything I can remember now. :p

#10 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

I can only think of regional things for the US as well. All I can think of is in Pittsburgh, we have what we call the Incline, and the German exchange students get really excited about it.

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Ketchup chips are really normal here, like I don't remember a time in my life when they weren't available, but apparently this flavor is abnormal in other places. :p

#12 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

I can only think of regional things for the US as well. All I can think of is in Pittsburgh, we have what we call the Incline, and the German exchange students get really excited about it.

what's the incline?

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

We moan a lot.

Very cynical.

Hate the French.

Also took almost every country on earth, so we still have an evolutionary trait underneath to conquer.

#14 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

I don't know if this counts, but I think NY/NJ are stereotypically known for their bagels and pizza, and it's true, they're amazing here. Every other place I've been in America has had substandard pizza and bagels.

Edit: I guess this wouldn't count since we ate known for them. Or maybe we aren't. Not sure how many people talk about new York pizza outside of new York.

Edited by DonValentino, 05 June 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#15 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

what's the incline?

http://www.duquesneincline.org/

DuqIncline22.JPG

I hate it because I'm deathly afraid of heights. 

As for NY, all I know about NY food is NY cheesecake and Brooklyn accents. 

Edited by Satsuki, 05 June 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#16 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

http://www.duquesneincline.org/
DuqIncline22.JPG
I hate it because I'm deathly afraid of heights.
As for NY, all I know about NY food is NY cheesecake and Brooklyn accents.

Ooh, funiculars ARE cool. I don't blame exchange students for being excited.

#17 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

I don't know if this counts, but I think NY/NJ are stereotypically known for their bagels and pizza, and it's true, they're amazing here. Every other place I've been in America has had substandard pizza and bagels.

Edit: I guess this wouldn't count since we ate known for them. Or maybe we aren't. Not sure how many people talk about new York pizza outside of new York.

YES. The bagel places are INSANE on Long Island, NY. There's like one every 2 blocks and high quality because they have to outsmart their competitors or die out.

-----------------------

It's really hard to think of a typical non-stereotype for the US outside of fat and lazy. At least the area I'm from, people are terrible drivers in terms of judgement and road rage. Think of the typical raging Taxi Driver in NYC in the form of a middle aged mother on her way to her daughter's dance recital who just cut off a school buss driver on an empty street.

#18 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Stupidity.

#19 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

hmm. i am not sure. but i think my county is one of the few country that is illegal to strike. you got to apply for a strike permit before you can go on strike.

http://en.wikipedia....Act_(Singapore)

and 

the cheaper cars in Singapore cost 60-70k ? A Volkswagen cost 150k i think. And thats typical..

Edited by Leeroy, 05 June 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#20 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Air conditioning. We don't have air conditioning in our house, just some fans, which is atypical in the USA. The number of people who have told me they would "die" without air conditioning is unreal.

#21 pistola

pistola
  • 437 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

when i think of pizza chicago comes to mind first. ny style is alright. although i have never been to NYC.

#22 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

when i think of pizza chicago comes to mind first. [Bold]ny style is alright. although i have never been to NYC.[/bold]

Lol any ny style pizza outside of ny isn't ny pizza so come have some real pizza please

#23 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Lol any ny style pizza outside of ny isn't ny pizza so come have some real pizza please

Any style pizza outside of Chicago isn't real pizza.

#24 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Alfajores and Dulce de Leche, for sure.

#25 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

In Michigan (USA), we use our hands as a map to give directions or to show were we are from.

Edited by Mandie, 05 June 2014 - 07:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users