Scammers have gotten funny..

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

I've noticed a new trend in scammers. It starts innocently enough with someone NM you in broken english. After the first NM they ask to be your NF. They will then NM you a few times a day and send you little gifts. After a few more days of friendly banter with more gifts always given to you (I wanted to see what would happen if I NM a gift to them and they reject it).

They then send a NM with links of obviously fishing/CG/KL to you.

If you are smart enough to not click on the links a few days another NM will be sent(paraphrasing):

"Hi my Best Friend. I have sad news. My parents/teachers/wife/husband have said I spend too much time on neopets and I must quit. Your pets are so well take care of I know you could take care of mine (BTW they always have higher end but badly named/stats). So you do not get in trouble I will keep it attached to my email. So give me your magic word and I will change it your magic word and you can take it over. Do not tell TNT because they will freeze your account!

I hope to come back someday.
Your friend... "

Um yeah and I was born yesterday!

#2 GKris

GKris
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

you caught me :rolleyes:

#3 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

This hasnt been "what they have got to" this is how they have always been. Thousands of people a day fall for the most retarded tricks ever. Its the sadest thing ever. For instance, if your on neopets, reading their neomail, and they give you a link for free np, and neopets comes up and says, "Please login" Its not neopets. Your already logged in.

Its sad that Koreans/chinese/nigerians can scam stuff from people without even putting 5% effort into it. They dont even bother to learn english enough to sound like they are english. They use websites like neopets.tk, or neopets.com.tk and people are so retarded that they actually believe its www.neepets.com. Its gotten so horrible, that browsers had to include a phising filter just for people to stand a chance, which in return makes my browser worse, and it pisses me off. If people where just not retarded....life would be easier :(

/end rant

#4 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

This hasnt been "what they have got to" this is how they have always been. Thousands of people a day fall for the most retarded tricks ever. Its the sadest thing ever. For instance, if your on neopets, reading their neomail, and they give you a link for free np, and neopets comes up and says, "Please login" Its not neopets. Your already logged in.

Its sad that Koreans/chinese/nigerians can scam stuff from people without even putting 5% effort into it. They dont even bother to learn english enough to sound like they are english. They use websites like neopets.tk, or neopets.com.tk and people are so retarded that they actually believe its www.neepets.com. Its gotten so horrible, that browsers had to include a phising filter just for people to stand a chance, which in return makes my browser worse, and it pisses me off. If people where just not retarded....life would be easier :(

/end rant

that was so racist. i think you owe us koreans/chinese/nigerians an apology.

#5 Devilfish

Devilfish
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

I've noticed a new trend in scammers. It starts innocently enough with someone NM you in broken english.

And that's where it ends for me. I've spent years learning this language to the best of my ability, it pisses me off when someone who has English as a native language sends me a stinking heap of wargharbl. :angry:

that was so racist. i think you owe us koreans/chinese/nigerians an apology.

Dude. Totally.

Edited by Devilfish, 20 December 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#6 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

And that's where it ends for me. I've spent years learning this language to the best of my ability, it pisses me off when someone who has English as a native language sends me a stinking heap of wargharbl. Posted Image

Dude. Totally.

Um no I did not mean it that way..

If they stuck to friendly chatter it would be ok but the closer it is to ripping me off suddenly they get better english..

I am almost fluent in spanish. One 'kid' said she was 'columbian' and yes a sprinkling of spanish would appear in the NMs. I decided to try out my spanish. I sent a NM almost all in spanish and even used a good online translator to make sure my grammar was good.

The "kid" NMed me back and said she didn't understand. She speaks/writes spanish but couldn't understand? No scammers use broken english as smoke screen.

BTW my father in law is Cajun he speaks in patois french which is an english/french mix so no I would not mock someone because they speak/type broken englis geeez...Posted Image

#7 Devilfish

Devilfish
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

It just sounded like you did. I have no interest in starting a fight or anything, it's just that the wording in that line about Koreans/Chinese/Nigerians was a little unfortunate.

#8 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

It just sounded like you did. I have no interest in starting a fight or anything, it's just that the wording in that line about Koreans/Chinese/Nigerians was a little unfortunate.

That wasn't even me, Posted Image that was iargue..

#9 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

That wasn't even me, Posted Image that was iargue..

what he said was okay up until that racist part.

awaiting the apology or for him to at least say he was kidding if he doesnt have a pair to apologize

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

what he said was okay up until that racist part.

awaiting the apology or for him to at least say he was kidding if he doesnt have a pair to apologize

It wasn't racist.
It was an accurate characterisation.

Let me enlighten you;
"Email scammers are often Nigerian" - Not racist.
"Nigerians are email scammers" - Racist.

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

You'll be waiting for a while, I doubt it will happen.

#12 Devilfish

Devilfish
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Wow, sorry, got confused. In my defense, it's 2am here and I really should've gone to bed ages ago.

About the broken English thing, I've got nothing against ESLs speaking broken English for obvious reasons. English is hard. It's when people who really should know better start typing like a cat ran over their keyboard that I get a little ticked off.

#13 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Sadly this whole thing has nothing to do with racism or what not.

It is pretty funny that people fall for the scams but the problem is that most users are young so they will always fall for these types of things. What I do not like is that they are only taking advantage of the young users that will fall for silly things like this.

#14 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

It wasn't racist.

Let me enlighten you;

oh youre the guy who couldnt`who couldnt cough up a proper apology because your pride on this forum cant take it

so you`re saying what iargue said is perfectly fine? give me a break, you're just being difficult

#15 fruityone

fruityone
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

/end rant

How do you know those people are even Korean/Chinese/Nigerian/whatever? 90% of the people fwith English as a second language speak it fine, and not sure if you can tell but I'm Chinese myself. Those retarded scammers are probably just pretending they can only speak in broken english, meaning they can pretend to not understand if you question them. Also, I've noticed people tend to trust people more from different ethnic groups, at least at school and in rl in general. Anti-racism gone too far, prehaps.

How did this turn to a discussion about racism anyway? Retarded dirty scammers are retarded dirty scammers, doesn't matter what race they happen to be.

#16 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

oh youre the guy who couldnt`who couldnt cough up a proper apology because your pride on this forum cant take it

so you`re saying what iargue said is perfectly fine? give me a break, you're just being difficult

It wasn't racist, he didn't say that all the Korean/Chinese/Nigerian people are the scammers.

And I'm sure "I apologize" is a proper apology, but I won't interfere with that any more.

#17 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

It wasn't racist.

Let me enlighten you;

Funny, i dont remember iargue saying

More often than not, it is usually Koreans/Chinese/Nigerians that can scam stuff from people without putting 5% effort into it.

Instead I read something that definitely wasn't just a characterization.

And does he have statistics to prove such a point? I think he threw in the Nigerian part as a subtle black joke.

It wasn't racist, he didn't say that all the Korean/Chinese/Nigerian people are the scammers.

And I'm sure "I apologize" is a proper apology, but I won't interfere with that any more.

it was "My apologies" in a much more arrogant tone

Finally, I apologize that I used the wrong word here. I think "prejudice" may be more appropriate.

Edited by haruharu, 20 December 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

haruharu, why do you insist on causing trouble?
You're nothing more than an irritating pain in the ass.

#19 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

it was "My apologies" in a much more arrogant tone

It was still an apology, and of course the user he was apologizing to will probably never see it, so it's not even that important.

Spoiler

#20 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

haruharu, why do you insist on causing trouble?
You're nothing more than an irritating pain in the ass.

Before we digress any further, you should realize that iArgue's comment caused me to feel this way. It just so happens that I perceive you to be a pain in the ass. It's comical how you are quick to anger even if you're wrong. You make direct comments targeting a person's intelligence before you even know the person. Is a few words enough to judge an individual? Perhaps you aren't a jaded individual as I first thought, but you sure are reinforcing that image. A forum is a place of discussion, if you cannot handle that other people have different opinions then maybe this place isn't cut out for you. I hope you can refrain yourself from replying with another provocative statement that doesn't bring reason to Neocodex.

Cheers

Oh yeah..inb4 ban/lock/delete

Edited by haruharu, 20 December 2009 - 05:18 PM.

#21 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:21 PM

A forum is a place of discussion, if you cannot handle that other people have different opinions then maybe this place isn't cut out for you.

Then maybe we shouldn't cry everytime someone makes a generalized statement about people who don't speak english? Is that what you're saying?
Best way to avoid scams: don't make friends on neopets.

#22 Vexage

Vexage
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

Let's not have this devolve into racist/not racist apologize/not apologize arguments, and stay on topic, ok?

Anyway, I wish one of those scammers would befriend me, I live free stuff. What did they give you?

#23 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

Let's not have this devolve into racist/not racist apologize/not apologize arguments, and stay on topic, ok?

Anyway, I wish one of those scammers would befriend me, I live free stuff. What did they give you?

5 free books :D

#24 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:24 PM

I'm kinda annoyed how you had to make this thread all about racism and could not just talk about the actual posts. Sure someone might say the wrong thing but does it really matter. Someone can go bash canadians saying that they are all email scammers..do I really care? Even if he explicitly said all nigerians were neopets scammers would it really matter. Are you so offended because of his comment or is it just that you want attention or are full of problems. It is a comment that should not really bother a person. It was not a hit against your religion your family or your beliefs. Why would someone put up such a stink over something neopets related..thats what I want to know.

#25 Vexage

Vexage
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

5 free books :D

Well there you go. I'm assuming they were going for like, 50np?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users