Photo

Gaminggutter long gone?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

I'm not sure what happened, but apparently "Gaminggutter's", database was wiped and its ownership has no clue how to bring it back - or the other staff members with the backups have gone.

I'm not sure, but all I know is that Gaming gutter is down, and its whole forum is gone.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:28 AM

From what I heard their server was fried and their owner didn't have any backups except a really old one so their staff decided to take control and go and create a brand new forum themselves. Personally I thought it was a pretty poor forum with regards to Neopets stuff so I won't miss it.

#3 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:30 AM

I did a little poking around (aka "Googling"), and stumbled upon the following info:

http://answers.yahoo...29170458AAhIIIa

Don't know how reliable it is, as I don't know any of the people who were part of GG in the first place, but if I were looking for it, that's where I would end up.

#4 helicop

helicop
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

I think they lost everything, but tbph i won't miss it because i never knew anyone there and in my opinion it was a very poor forum for neopet stuff

#5 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

I think they lost everything, but tbph i won't miss it because i never knew anyone there and in my opinion it was a very poor forum for neopet stuff

Did you just read the two posts above yours and copy what they said?

I remember hitting the place years ago for some bots and seeing a Neopet-selling thread there while googling pet prices. (Mad prices, IIRC. Like 195$ for a UC Faerie Lenny) but other than that, meh. Codex still wins on the sarcasm department. ;p

#6 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Seems like this happens to a lot of people over the time they run a forum. :p Here's a piece of Neocodex trivia for you (and what I consider the second time I have saved our site from destruction):

In 2007-ish, we had a complete database failure and had to reply on the host's backups, which were about to completely disappear in a matter of hours due to a weekly rollover time. I remember rage-clicking the live chat trying to get someone to restore our site in time. :p

I managed to get their attention about an hour before their backups were to be overwritten. We likely wouldn't be here anymore if that were not the case. :/ We've since learned to take automatic updates, and store them on separate machines. I still remember the name of the guy at HostGator who saved our site. If I ever meet him in real life, I am definitely buying him a beer (or something). :p

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

Did you just read the two posts above yours and copy what they said?

HAHAHAH I'm sure they did. But the opinion can be true even if copied. lol

#8 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Can I say it?

GG.

#9 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Gaminggutter was rarely useful for anything, even excluding neo... Good riddance I say.

#10 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

Gaminggutter was rarely useful for anything, even excluding neo... Good riddance I say.

What made them so popular then? I remember when it was for sale on Sitepoint. I was going to buy it.

#11 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

What made them so popular then? I remember when it was for sale on Sitepoint. I was going to buy it.

The community drove it. Active community gets indexed nicely in search engines, which brings in more people. Snowball effect from there.

#12 maxxor

maxxor
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

this place rocks

#13 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

this place rocks

Deep thoughts from random new member.

#14 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

The community drove it. Active community gets indexed nicely in search engines, which brings in more people. Snowball effect from there.

Ya, so a lot of people were linking to GG? I know it was for sale for $10k before the new owner got it, right?

#15 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

full of scammed accounts, outrageous prices, and scammers

although there is a requirement to advance in status where you have to create a helpful thread - some of those were quite hilarious XD

#16 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

I created that site.

#17 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:16 AM

I thought it was a pretty neat site, and was very disappointed when the new forum was overrun by spambots. :C

Edited by PsychoSoldier, 03 February 2011 - 06:16 AM.

#18 StefanKai

StefanKai
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:25 AM

lol, it was pretty much trash, but I still made a few grand from selling shit there.

#19 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

I created that site.

Any prove?

#20 Ruzzay

Ruzzay
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:32 AM

I created that site.

no you didn't
alex did
sry broski
+ to everyone else, haters gunna hate.
towards the end of the downfall, yeah gaminggutter sucked, but at our prime we were awesome.
our threads / posts had much better quality than most forums.

#21 Ayami

Ayami
  • 280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:19 AM

From what I heard their server was fried and their owner didn't have any backups except a really old one so their staff decided to take control and go and create a brand new forum themselves. Personally I thought it was a pretty poor forum with regards to Neopets stuff so I won't miss it.

I thought it was a pretty poor site from the start, Paying users, Underground users was always a bad idea to me, Well they way they were doing it anyways it was turning into another marketing site like battlehacks or something. Sucked pretty bad not including random bans people always were randomly getting there underground status removed.

#22 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

I thought it was a pretty poor site from the start, Paying users, Underground users was always a bad idea to me, Well they way they were doing it anyways it was turning into another marketing site like battlehacks or something. Sucked pretty bad not including random bans people always were randomly getting there underground status removed.

What do you mean by paying users? What were they paying them to do?

#23 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

this place rocks

I totally thought he said "this place sucks" XD I'm tired.
The only time I went on GG was to leech conundrum hours like 4 years ago.
I was like HOW DO THEY KNOW HE ANSWER?! but the rest i was like meh

#24 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

no you didn't
alex did
sry broski
+ to everyone else, haters gunna hate.
towards the end of the downfall, yeah gaminggutter sucked, but at our prime we were awesome.
our threads / posts had much better quality than most forums.

RubenRybnik is Alex (Artificial), and he did indeed create GamingGutter.

#25 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

RubenRybnik is Alex (Artificial), and he did indeed create GamingGutter.

No way. So that's yet another spinoff site created by codex members. I forget how long ago Alex left... he posts occasionally still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users