• This topic is locked This topic is locked
338 replies to this topic

#226 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

I think that could easily be a partial reason as to why you don't see paying members stick around to mingle. It's a large reason why I don't. Just wanted to give a bit of insight :p Lol

I wish this community was a better about that, too.
But behind these cold, hard shells of malice we're really nice, I swear. :p Like some have said.. after a while the same old questions and nublets get tiring..
It's not just about programs here, we have IRC Chat and tinychat sessions..

We're really not bad, only to the folks that portray themselves as unintelligent twats or trolls or what have you, we just don't take that shit.
BUT from what I've seen, even newer posters get respect with intelligent and thoughtful posts.
Three lurkers who posted magnificently in this thread were welcomed with open arms..

..Just give us a chance? We need more posters like you around.

Edit: God I suck at grammar.

Edited by Katrinas, 09 July 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#227 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

Stay here long enough and you'll get tired of answering the same questions over and over and even linking people to the stickied thread in the exact section they posted.

Believe me, I understand what you mean. Ever since the Help Chat on the Neoboards has been around, it's been my home. So, you can imagine the ignorance that is abound there, even from those who some would consider 'avid' players.

But, that being said, it can still be a turn-off to people who otherwise would get involved in conversations. Neopets has, sadly, been apart of my life since I started playing. I was, for a short time, a volunteer monitor for the boards. (Back in 1999/2000 when they gave few players monitor abilities), I've been friends with quite a few staff over the years, I was quite close to the mari_jhane scandal YEARS ago, go into a huge argument with that fuzzle-face HRobi (rudest person I've ever met btw), have well over $3,000 worth of Neopets Merchandise (mainly older merchandise, long before KeyQuest; including a lot of stuff you can't buy), have a 15"+ TNT Staff Christmas Shoyru Plushie with certificate of authenticity (only 250 were made). Basically, I'm a huge MASSIVE outrageous Neopets dork at the age of 25. xD LOL

So, I love bashing and discussing Neopets in almost every form. I understand the constant ramble of 'stupid questions' but it took me awhile to realize I started Neopets back when it was small. So a lot of things that are common sense to me really wouldn't be to anyone new or even someone who has joined within the past 3-5 years. Can you imagine if you were completely new to Neopets, didn't know a thing and tried to really get into it? Neopets is complicated as crap for newcomers, especially if you're a kid. o.0
I used to be that user on the Help Chat who everyone either loved or hated. I was blunt, honest and told people they were idiots for asking questions they could find the answers to if they just attempted to look first. But honestly, after I got frozen (numerous times for my opinionated and out-spoken criticisms of Neopets' customer service) the bitterness got old. I get more enjoyment out of receiving a random 'Thank you for helping me and not yelling at me' neomail than I did when I got the "Ha. Effing idiot, I love flaunting my superiority" feeling. (I'm not saying anyone in particular engages in that, just a generalized statement)

And I'm not saying this is a 'huge' problem this forum has, it's just something I've noticed and it's simply *my* experience. :)

#228 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thefuzio, you should make a topic discussing behind-the-scene secrets TNT does not want us to know !

#229 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Thefuzio, you should make a topic discussing behind-the-scene secrets TNT does not want us to know !

I second this, I want to know more about these scandals as it sounds pretty interesting to know about, as I wasn't there back then.

#230 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

And I'm not saying this is a 'huge' problem this forum has, it's just something I've noticed and it's simply *my* experience. :)

I think it's awesome that you have a greater level of maturity than some folks here :p and of course not everyone here is like that..
But like I said, you seem very intelligent and obviously a well-thought out poster, you should have no problems here. :) We're all quite charming when we aren't angry.

I personally think the Advanced Membership Requirement Changes will change all that.. Now there will be honest people who are posting for reasons besides getting to 500 posts.
We're more willing to help those who do not spam.

Also, I'd like to note, that I think a big reason why there is not more help with newcomers is that most of the questions involve the programs, specifically Abrosia. Most of the people who can be condescending are those that also use Abrosia. It's simply a matter of not wanting more competition. There are those that are here that do not play Neopets and are still quite rude to newcomers, but like I said.. most of the time it is either to someone spamming or being an idiot. I don't agree, but I'll say again it just shows their level of maturity.

Bah, I'm rambling.

#231 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

While I'm sure plenty of people will have a response to my comments, this is coming from someone who has been a member of Neopets since 1999, ex-volunteer monitor, ran/worked for multiple fan sites, yadda yadda. Granted I don't have many posts and haven't been a member for terribly long, I'm not that big of a moron. :p

I've never been a fan of post requirements for forum sites such as this. While I understand the need and point behind the requirements, afterall aside from the programs this website is built solely around the aspect of the forum.
There tends to be a very, for lack of a better term, high-and-mighty / holier-than-thou attitude among the people who are most known or have been here for quite some time. So much so, that it's very off putting to new comers. I've never been one to back down from an argument or not call people out on their ignorance or hypocritical behavior, I've enjoyed Neopets since I was 14, been all over the map but for some reason becoming 'involved' in this forum seems almost impossible for me. Hell, I've been an outspoken critic of Neopets for years, so much so that their legal team felt the need to email me that they were barring me from their website completely. LOL

The attitude that some people have is just so ugly, it's to the point where I don't even want to attempt to get involved in discussions because I'm sure anything I have to contribute would be disputed, someone would feel the need to verbally attack me, call me an idiot, etc etc.
Sure, I might not be a programmer or know anything about programming and what have you but I'm not an idiot but for some reason, this community intimidates me. Which is a feat within itself, let me tell you. Lol Hell, I can stand up in front of a room full of religious zealots and argue for equality but you people tend to just make me second guess myself. (especially strange because I tend to be a bit of an elitist when it comes to neopets...SHOCKING I KNOW) I feel if I actually contributed to discussions, because I may have 'stupid questions' sometimes, that it would simply lead to arguments and belittling and honestly, if I wanted to deal with that I'd walk outside. I come online to enjoy myself and I just don't feel the atmosphere here is very welcoming to new comers or people who may not know everything about these programs or how they work.

I think that could easily be a partial reason as to why you don't see paying members stick around to mingle. It's a large reason why I don't. Just wanted to give a bit of insight :p Lol

Welcome to the forum!

I do understand that the forum can seem intimidating because it is littered with morons and then elitists telling people what morons they are... It's a rather viscous cycle, really... The people are actually usually trolling to get to 500 posts and it clutters the site with negativity... However, it really isn't even like that (for most of us.) We (I) don't criticize people for asking stupid questions, but I will criticize someone for asking something stupidly... (Actually, I usually won't criticize someone until their third or fourth post in a row that is stupid.) I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there are certainly ways to ask a question and ways to be a moron...

Us old folks who seem like elitist, holier-than-thou assholes really are nice people on the inside... I know a lot of us just get sick of seeing people intentionally spamming (no doubt in the world they are just trying to boost that post count) and then disappear in a puff of smoke... littering the website with their garbage as they don't intend to come back except for help (See: philj) Believe it or not, we don't harass people just because they have a different opinion, or because they ask a question that is simple. It's about actually caring about what you are saying... Placing some actual value into the question as if you honestly care about the answer or wish to have a legitimate discussion on a topic, and not just posting something to boost post count...

With the post count for advanced feature removed, I believe there will be no incentive for people to act like idiots. (Actually, there will be a negative incentive...) With less people spamming the board up, there will be less bitching... and with less bitching, comes more true activity... not this garbage that litters everywhere....

Basically, don't be put off by the bickering... as long as you wish the topic or post you write to have some value, no one here will have any problem with you, even if they vehemently disagree with your views. (I promise, I've spent a lot of my time here with opposing views to most... :p)

#232 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

Hear hear.
I think Cody's views on spirituality are remarkably stupid, for example, but he's spent a vast amount of time considering his position, and is able to express his views succinctly andgogently (for the most part :p).
For this reason, we're able to have a decent conversation. He's able to provide points that genuinely challenge my perspectives, because he's not simply copying refuted concepts from another website. I like to hope that goes the other way, too.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell

#233 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

Stay here long enough and you'll get tired of answering the same questions over and over and even linking people to the stickied thread in the exact section they posted.

I think a lot of those questions could be answered through a well-written welcome PM automatically sent to all new members, at the moment there seems to be a gap there where people register and then struggle to find the information they need.

#234 Robert

Robert
  • 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

I think a lot of those questions could be answered through a well-written welcome PM automatically sent to all new members, at the moment there seems to be a gap there where people register and then struggle to find the information they need.

That's a good idea and really simple to implement too

#235 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

Now all you need is someone who can write a well-written PM.

#236 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

you are the man for that job!

#237 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:26 AM

I asked about implementing that over a year ago. They said No >.>

#238 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

I...can't see why really, other than it might be a nuisance to some people, as long as it helps keep them informed to stickies and what to read before injecting themselves into the community.

#239 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:38 AM

Sweeneychu, I choose you!

Don't ask, tell.

#240 Guest_idonotexist_*

Guest_idonotexist_*

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

Lol. Well I did a small-ish interview with PinkPoogleToy back before it became so...commercialized and ad-ridden. (Good friends with Kym, the owner)
To my knowledge, a lot of what went on back in the day doesn't happen anymore especially since the Viacom buy-out.

Were any of you around during the mari_jhane scandal? Or even know what it is? This was, if my memory serves me correctly, late 2000? Maybe 2001...

I'm sure there's quite a few things I could contribute but it's more so reminiscent of 'Old Neopia' than anything. I'm sure you all would get a kick out of seeing the emails legal was sending me telling me I'm "Not a nice Neopian" and they were taking steps to bar me completely from using their website and how I'm lucky there are other websites out there I can use for entertainment and won't complain about. Lol :p

Oh the good ole days. xD -stabs tnt with a rusty fuzzle-

#241 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

If we just has a directory for all the guides (for those who aren't sure what they're looking for).

For UC price checks theres a guide:
http://www.neocodex....ing-help-guide/
For score senders there are two guides:
http://www.neocodex....s-score-sender/
http://www.neocodex....aking-system-d/ (not really a guide but important to be included)
AoB:
http://www.neocodex....ob-master-list/
Abrosia:
http://www.neocodex....-to-autobuying/ (probably the most important guide on the forums)
http://www.neocodex....-supersystem-2/
http://www.neocodex....68-supersystem/
Auto adopter:
http://www.neocodex....pters-settings/

TA-DA

#242 nugget111

nugget111
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

click and highlight from here too see a message---> Advanced Membership Requirements Changed -- No more 500 posts -

too much off topic

what is the final decision regarding the issue with the 500 posts

please clear it and end this discussion

Edited by nugget111, 10 July 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#243 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hear hear.
I think Cody's views on spirituality are remarkably stupid, for example, but he's spent a vast amount of time considering his position, and is able to express his views succinctly andgogently (for the most part :p).
For this reason, we're able to have a decent conversation. He's able to provide points that genuinely challenge my perspectives, because he's not simply copying refuted concepts from another website. I like to hope that goes the other way, too.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell

Haha Joe... No worries. Yes, there are many times in which I do question my own spiritual beliefs and I am always open to new concepts and ideas. The problem with spirituality is that it is largely based strictly upon faith and not upon anything that can be verified by fact. I recognize that my views on spirituality are, in nearly every regard, way out in left field... and I generally refrain from discussing them in public as most people think I've gone mad. (Though they don't have a problem with the idea of immaculate conception, god being vengeful one day and compassionate and loving the next, an ark that could carry every species known to man, etc.)

blahblahblah. Gotta run to work. :p

#244 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hear hear.

-Bertrand Russell

Haha Joe... No worries. Yes, there are many times in which I do question my own spiritual beliefs and I am always open to new concepts and ideas. The problem with spirituality is that it is largely based strictly upon faith and not upon anything that can be verified by fact. I recognize that my views on spirituality are, in nearly every regard, way out in left field... and I generally refrain from discussing them in public as most people think I've gone mad. (Though they don't have a problem with the idea of immaculate conception, god being vengeful one day and compassionate and loving the next, an ark that could carry every species known to man, etc.)

blahblahblah. Gotta run to work. :p

*and cogently

Unlike me, apparently.
*mashes keyboard*

^_^

#245 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Just read through this whoollleee topic (I missed it when it first came into fruition, dunno how that happened!) and I think that these last few pages prove that we can all act in a civil matter when we want to. I actually like seeing that there was a fuckton of arguing and then some peaceful banter going on in later posts. It just goes to show that even though people aren't going to get along, things can still get sort-of worked out.

I'm intrigued to see how these changes will affect the forum; as I stated on the poll board I know I've pissed people off but I think the majority of my posts have been well constructed and thought out (if not a bit bombastic but that's who I am) Because I'm one of those people who doesn't lurk but has yet to reach the 450-500 post count I'm curious as to how it will affect me. I've paid for a sub several times (so that I can have access to advanced features with the programs while I get my post count up) but I know some of you are probably less than happy with me because of discord. Getting picked to become advanced may be a bit harder for me than those who lurk which is a bit off putting; all I've done is post in a non-troll or spammy way. But I digress.

I think these changes shall better the system and hopefully deter people who aren't actively contributing to the site. (I would like a demotion option though, there's been several people who've outposted me despite the fact that they've been here less than I have and haven't put actual thought into their posts.)

#246 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

Getting picked to become advanced may be a bit harder for me than those who lurk which is a bit off putting; all I've done is post in a non-troll or spammy way. But I digress.

I hope you're being sarcastic with this, you're an example of a person I'd (we'd) want to see climb ranks.

#247 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

Just read through this whoollleee topic (I missed it when it first came into fruition, dunno how that happened!) and I think that these last few pages prove that we can all act in a civil matter when we want to. I actually like seeing that there was a fuckton of arguing and then some peaceful banter going on in later posts. It just goes to show that even though people aren't going to get along, things can still get sort-of worked out.

I'm intrigued to see how these changes will affect the forum; as I stated on the poll board I know I've pissed people off but I think the majority of my posts have been well constructed and thought out (if not a bit bombastic but that's who I am) Because I'm one of those people who doesn't lurk but has yet to reach the 450-500 post count I'm curious as to how it will affect me. I've paid for a sub several times (so that I can have access to advanced features with the programs while I get my post count up) but I know some of you are probably less than happy with me because of discord. Getting picked to become advanced may be a bit harder for me than those who lurk which is a bit off putting; all I've done is post in a non-troll or spammy way. But I digress.

I think these changes shall better the system and hopefully deter people who aren't actively contributing to the site. (I would like a demotion option though, there's been several people who've outposted me despite the fact that they've been here less than I have and haven't put actual thought into their posts.)

I think you severely underestimate the power of the quality over quantity. I've notice your posts. I've seen you be a good member and I sure don't think I'm alone in this. I honestly don't recall you pissing people off beyond a simple disagreement in beliefs (which in my opinion is what a discussion is about). I was honestly surprised to see your post count with how often I actually seem to see your posts. What I've realized is it's an illusion. Your posts seem to actually stick out the post because they're well thought out and contribute to the discussion. :thumbsup:

#248 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

I think I need to reiterate;
-Bertrand Russell

I echo the sentiments of both Elindoril and Tetiel.

#249 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

*spends 30 minutes catching up on this thread*

What was I gunna say again???

Thefuzio, I like you. :) That is all.

#250 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Getting picked to become advanced may be a bit harder for me than those who lurk which is a bit off putting; all I've done is post in a non-troll or spammy way. But I digress.

I hope you're being sarcastic with this, you're an example of a person I'd (we'd) want to see climb ranks.

I've notice your posts. I've seen you be a good member and I sure don't think I'm alone in this

I echo the sentiments of both Elindoril and Tetiel.

And I of them. You caught my attention Narcissa early on and I'm happy to say your posts are still very high quality. Which isn't saying too much since most of my posts are crap, but once you do reach advanced (which if you keep posting the way you do, you will) I hope you stay around on the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users