Battledome Database?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

A little while ago it was mentioned on the topic regarding the death of the IDB (here) that it would be a very nice feature for us to have our own Battledome database. I think that this is a great idea and it shouldn't be left to gather dust. Obviously the database wouldn't come along for a very long time, but I'm creating a topic about it to try and make sure it isn't forgotten. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions about this?

#2 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

http://battlepedia.t...ilyneopets.com/

#3 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

http://battlepedia.t...ilyneopets.com/

I know about the Battlepedia, I just think that Neocodex would have pretty much everything you could ever want if we had a Battlepedia.

#4 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

Wanna help me scrape it? : )

#5 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Uhhmmm, scrape it?

#6 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Uhhmmm, scrape it?

He means steal their data. Which we aren't doing.

#7 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

We can't just go in there and ask them for their database, most likely. The only solid starting place would be to web-scrape all of their data to kick-start our own.

He means steal their data. Which we aren't doing.

I don't mean their reviews and whatnot, just the "factual" information that isn't "owned" by anybody.

#8 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

If we do this we should build it ourselves. We are more than capable.

#9 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

I don't mean their reviews and whatnot, just the "factual" information that isn't "owned" by anybody.

So if I write a book about microbiology and you copy the "facts" from it, it's not plagiarizing because cells are owned by nature?

#10 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

So if I write a book about microbiology and you copy the "facts" from it, it's not plagiarizing because cells are owned by nature?

Do you mean to say that you think somebody owns the intellectual property rights to something like, say, carbon's atomic weight?

#11 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

As much as I want this to happen, it just isn't feasible. And here is why:

• We don't have a database, it's a pain in the ass to put one together, only to reinvent the wheel. The Battlepedia is far from perfect but the way I see it, can anyone really do better without wasting a ton of hours to end up with another clone? This whole debate started up because iDB went down but since JN is bringing it back, the argument is moot.
  • We don't have the same userbase iDB did. That means people need to buy every new weapon that comes out to catalog them. The smaller items are easy, because they're all junk. For HT items I don't think there are people here who are both willing and able to drop 10m on release day just to see what something does. If you're going to copy another site's stats, why not use their database since it's going to be the same thing? I am not a fan of copying other site's work. And if we opened up the system to user submission, that's exactly what people are going to do. I personally think it's a breach of etiquette but I am not the administrator of this site so it's not up to me.
  • There aren't enough BDers experts here to actually maintain this thing. Many of the coders don't actually play the game so you're left with people who regurgitate what they're read in other guides and have like 12 wins total. Sorry to say but I can count the number of people who know what they're talking about on one hand.
  • The only improvement I can see is creating modern guides for beginners, for incorporating newly released weapons. Let's face it, iDB is great but the last time it had an update, so did the Battledome.
  • And finally our programmers are busy as fuck so does anyone besides Inkheart have any skills to offer if this were to take off?

#12 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

We don't have a database, it's a pain in the ass to put one together, only to reinvent the wheel. The Battlepedia is far from perfect but the way I see it, can anyone really do better without wasting a ton of hours to end up with another clone? This whole debate started up because iDB went down but since JN is bringing it back, the argument is moot.

Cloning TDN's database (rarities, icons, rough price, effects) would only take a few hours, depending on whether or not they have anything in place to stop me from querying them a couple thousand times in a row.

We don't have the same userbase iDB did. That means people need to buy every new weapon that comes out to catalog them. The smaller items are easy, because they're all junk. For HT items I don't think there are people here who are both willing and able to drop 10m on release day just to see what something does. If you're going to copy another site's stats, why not use their database since it's going to be the same thing? I am not a fan of copying other site's work. And if we opened up the system to user submission, that's exactly what people are going to do. I personally think it's a breach of etiquette but I am not the administrator of this site so it's not up to me.

As far as the steep price issue goes, I imagine there are enough users here who trust each other that it wouldn't be too difficult to pool some NP for the sake of testing new weapons. Sharing it around to confirm observations, though, might unnecessarily attract TNT's attention. Still, while I don't think the big price tag is much of an obstacle, everything else here is completely valid.

There aren't enough BDers experts here to actually maintain this thing. Many of the coders don't actually play the game so you're left with people who regurgitate what they're read in other guides and have like 12 wins total. Sorry to say but I can count the number of people who know what they're talking about on one hand.

Following from the previous, you are again wholly correct. Neocodex by no means needs a Battlepedia; that's why the notion died so quickly. Neoquest suggested we have one simply because it really does seem to be the only service this wonderful place doesn't provide. While it's certainly a stretch to say we need one, I do think we could do a few things with it that other sites aren't doing; a much deeper search, for example.

And finally our programmers are busy as fuck so does anyone besides Inkheart have any skills to offer if this were to take off?

"Other than", maybe?

#13 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

You brought up a lot of valid points, Scot. I guess stealing a bunch of information would kinda defeat the point of having our own database. I stated in the original post that obviously the database wouldn't come along for a long time, but I think that it's a reasonable long term goal. Buying brand new 10m+ weapons isn't a big deal for similar reasons that Inkheart supplied.

Edited by Neoquest, 24 November 2011 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users