58 replies to this topic

#1 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

XBL Chat and Debate Thread

For those of us who have and use an Xbox 360 we are constantly having new games and new content being added to our disposal. This thread is here for generally chat about XBL; the games, services, and features as well as debate about the games.

This week in XBL:

Posted Image

This is the best Soulcalibur ever. The fifth (sixth, really) entry in the main franchise avoids the missteps of the previous two while retaining their good parts and adding a few new features of its own. Even so, “best Soulcalibur ever” doesn’t mean what it used to. We’ve been doing this for over a decade at this point. No matter how smooth and vibrant the new coat of paint is, we’ve all been here before.

The roster is as huge and varied as ever. The proper online play added in this edition is long overdue. Soulcalibur V hits all the right bullet points that a fighting game sequel has to have, but more importantly, it doesn’t screw anything up. Nothing has moved backwards, unless you count a few of my staple moves being changed or removed. That is all but inevitable when we’re talking about a series I’ve dumped several hundred hours into.

Most of the changes are ancillary to the actual fighting, but there are some notable tweaks. Many more moves that incorporate guard impact windows have been added, which integrate the guard impact concept more smoothly into intermediate-level play. A super bar similar to Street Fighter’s is now part of the game, though super moves aren’t as devastating. Even a perfect Brave Edge executed in a counter state usually does less than half a health bar of damage. Finally, the flow of any given round feels even more focused on initiative and the ground game than in previous Soulcaliburs.

The new fighters won’t convince me to move away from my traditional mains (Mitsurugi, Xianghua, and Siegfried, for the record), but they’re interesting additions. Fiona has powerful long-range attacks with her orb, and she strikes as fast as anyone in close, but her mid-range game seems weak. Z.W.E.I. is harder to get a handle on; his toolset focuses on summoning a spirit wolf and is unusual to the point that I had a heck of a time coming up with any decent tactics. Ezio seems less overpowered than previous guest characters, lacking an easy-to-execute close range get-away move to get back to his stronger mid-range distance. Patroklos is very reminiscent of Cassandra, with explosive mid-range moves and easy launchers that reward a poking playstyle. Nightmare and Kilik are, of course, still complete cheese.

Online play is much better supported in Soulcalibur V than in previous installments. Ranked matches work like StarCraft II, with the network handling matchmaking within a simple set of player-defined criteria. Setting up a room to play casual games according to your preferred ruleset is easy as can be. As with all pre-release review code, I was unable to test the final network infrastructure or get as much online play in as I’d like, but barring some unforeseen failure on Namco Bandai’s part it should be a destination mode.

The persistent stat tracking and progression is wonderful, and ties in beautifully to the enhanced character creator. As you level up and unlock new cosmetic items, you can outfit your own created character (who uses an existing fighter’s style) or any of the default characters with whatever you like. Want to put a big purple afro on Ivy? Go nuts. If you’re really dedicated, you may even unlock something for a lady fighter to wear on the TV when your mother walks into the room.

Soulcalibur V is the next-gen Soulcalibur that I’ve been wanting as a fan for years. At the same time, it’s nothing if not more Soulcalibur. Now if Namco Bandai would release a DLC pack with the full Soul Calibur II roster, I could finally retire that disc.

Edited by Yung, 17 February 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

At first I thought you meant XBL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBL

XML Binding Language and I was all set to chat. Now I realize it's not I'm totally out of this convo :(

#3 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

At first I thought you meant XBL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBL

XML Binding Language and I was all set to chat. Now I realize it's not I'm totally out of this convo :(

Lol, no sorry. Here I will make the thread a little more direct in its meaning.

I tried the multiplayer aspects of the game out. Not horrible but not the best.

#4 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

I wish people still played Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I fucking loved that multiplayer.

#5 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

Dead Multiplayers make me really upset. Rockband Multiplayer takes hours just to get a match. :(

#6 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thank you Yung! Yet another reason to get a new modem and laptop. :)

#7 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

I didn't really care for the ending of the Single Player Campaign. Has anyone else beat the game yet?

I am gonna play the Online Co-Op Campaign and see if it is any different.

#8 havocide3

havocide3
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about voice chat and little kids/squeakers yelling :(

#9 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

This is gonna turn into our own little private GameInformer, ha ha. lol

#10 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

YES!!!!!!!! YUNG I LOVE YOU!

I am waiting on:

Mass Effect 3
Borderlands 2
Halo 4
XCOM
Bioshock Infinite

and im pretty sure im leaving a couple out.

#11 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

YES!!!!!!!! YUNG I LOVE YOU!

I am waiting on:

Mass Effect 3
Borderlands 2
Halo 4
XCOM
Bioshock Infinite

and im pretty sure im leaving a couple out.

Easy now Tiger.

#12 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

As you can see... I LVOE RPG's and First person action games.

yeah i spelled love wrong... and what of it?

#13 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

As you can see... I LVOE RPG's and First person action games.

yeah i spelled love wrong... and what of it?

Posted Image

Heheh, oopsie I don't have an xbox, only a ds ;w; Yay not having a TV!......

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Where's the debate?

#15 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Heheh, oopsie I don't have an xbox, only a ds ;w; Yay not having a TV!......

I olev that image.

Where's the debate?

At least it wasn't put in the Debate section.

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I olev that image.

At least it wasn't put in the Debate section.

Now, you know you're supposed to read it right to left, so I think you're being silly *squint*
And yes, this is true. We haven't had a good debate thread in months. Years.

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Where's the debate?

If there is a debate about anything in regards to the games, the console, or services it can take place here.

I never said I was starting a debate.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

If there is a debate about anything in regards to the games, the console, or services it can take place here.

I never said I was starting a debate.

Boo.

#19 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

We can debate about whether or not parents should be paying better attention to what they allow their children to play.

After playing the Darkness 2 I was thinking about how many parents simply bought it for their 8-12 years olds and never once thought about how graphic and demonic the game is.

So debate #.1:

Should parents be paying better attention to the games they allow their children to play?

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Should parents be paying better attention to the games they allow their children to play?

Yes.

/debate

#21 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

I believe that they should be, I know many parents who don't as they just have their kid tell them what they want and then they go and buy it. Barely looking at the cover they hand the game over to be used as a distraction technique to avoid actually parenting their children.

#22 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Nah, any kid that takes games seriously and revolves his life around the games he plays belongs in a mental hospital anyways.

#23 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Nah, any kid that takes games seriously and revolves his life around the games he plays belongs in a mental hospital anyways.

As opposed to the many of us who play Neopets, and our lives revolve around there and this community?

rofl.

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

As opposed to the many of us who play Neopets, and our lives revolve around there and this community?

rofl.

Your life revolves around this community?
You've been here all of five minutes. Seek help.

#25 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

rofl.

I played Neopets and didn't want to suddenly raise exotic animals and prepare for war against villains of the world.

I'm talking about the kids who play Calladooty and suddenly think they'd be the MVP in actual wars because they fired a fake gun once or twice.

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users