• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Have you ever wondered if allowing your kids to play games online or video games is the right thing? As parents, you often wonder whether online games that your kids play are doing them harm? The consensus seems to be that they are bad, but can they actually do some good for your kids too? As a parent, I was called upon to ponder over this question lately and so I set about researching on what the potential pros and cons could be. What follows are some of the potential positives and potential negatives that online gaming can have on your kids. This is not meant as any advisory, but merely as a guide offering some points to ponder over. The ultimate decision as a parent should be yours and yours alone.

The Potential Cons of Online/Video Gaming on Kids
Some of the potential cons could be,

• That it promotes increased tolerance to violence, that kids become insensitive and cold towards other kids and adults alike, not being able to differentiate between what's reality and what's not. This can be considered a valid concern since many video games contain graphic/inappropriate content and provide incentives for users to, for example, kill as many characters as possible by rewarding them with points and increased levels. Can kids differentiate between a game and real life like an adult would?
  • Another negative effect of online gaming for kids could be that they would end up making them a socially reclusive individual, who just stays indoors and plays games, rather than interact with other kids and play outdoor games, which are essential in developing a healthy body and spirit. They may also not develop much-needed social skills required to help them interact with other children/adults around them growing up.
  • Yet another negative consequence of playing video games could be decreased academic performance. Gaming can be very addictive and it could occupy the child's time, leaving very little time for academics and other creative pursuits like learning music and other arts perhaps.
  • The negative health effects that playing video games has on kids cannot be ignored either. Staying indoors and playing online games, instead of going out and being physically active can result in kids becoming obese, suffer from eye problems as a result of prolonged hours of staring at the monitor/screen, increase the likelihood of them suffering from repetitive stress disorders, etc.
It seems then that playing online games or video games can only bring misery to your kids, but well nothing is really as black and white.

I found this and thought it added another aspect to the argument of increasing parental awareness about the effects that video games have on their children.

You can go directly to the link but I copied it here as it is there.

Good and Bad Effects of Video Games on Kids

#27 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

Now, you know you're supposed to read it right to left, so I think you're being silly *squint*

Sssshhh :p They aren't supposed to know!!

#28 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Very interesting. As a 15 year old who has spent 10 years playing games, and 2/3 of those playing explicit, and indeed, violent games, I don't think this has much of an effect other than increasing an individual's immersion with the, now increasing, virtual part of life. Of course, I believe I was raised/still being raised the right way, in a reasonably good area, so I can't speak for those who use violent games as form of escaping from problems in real life or who believe that games actually matter for the most part, or are applicable in real life. I can only think of a couple of games that are - for example the 'Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter/G.R.A.W' series is very realistic - the only thing it doesn't take into account is that there are no re-spawns in real life and the amazing amount of training and equipment the soldiers you play as would've had. Unfortunately however, these are not so popular compared to the C.O.D series for example, which has almost no bearings from reality, apart from the details they shove into the mechanics of the game, chief amongst these, the guns...

Leading on from that, it seems to me that if games are easier than real life, then applying virtual solutions to real life would be worth a try. But of course, whether they work or not, it will depend on the manner of game played - a violent game is equivalent to a violent action for example. I can remember playing 1st/2nd Gen Pokemon for the most part when I was young. Of course, I gained from that the lesson if something is in the way, you get the necessary equipment to break through it to progress/persevere - like having to go fight Team Rocket to get 'HM01/Cut' to get into Azelea Forest.

Now, going to the point of how healthy it is to be inside playing video games compared to doing a quick 100m or several reps on the 20 kilograms, I'm not going to be pedantic and say that it's easier to break your foot outside than inside, but it seems to me that if people enjoy that more than running about - I personally enjoy gaming more, marginally - they should be able to do that. Of course, not forever, but it can be beneficial, due to that you can gain some sort of intelligence from games - albeit very little for the most part, but still, intelligence that would not be achievable from running, or athletics, etc. There will, of course, be other chances, to do both to an extent, but for the sake of argument, I'm just comparing the extremes.

Right, that's my 2 pence done with. Can we get back to Halo please? ;)
But, seriously though, I want to see where this thread goes. :)

Edited by Russ, 10 February 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#29 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

I myself have been playing video games since I was 2 years old. My mother has an old tape recording of me playing Super Mario Bros. on the NES. The first actually violent game I ever played was Halo 2. I became a die hard fan and bought my Xbox 360 specifically for Halo 3. Since then I've played all the most violent and twisted video games on the market. Doom 3 I thought was demonic until I played The Darkness. Even that game pales in comparison to The Darkness 2 and I find it appalling how many parents were there with their 10-12 year olds to pick up the game. They have no thought over how graphic games such as those can affect younger children such as that.

#30 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Even that game pales in comparison to The Darkness 2 and I find it appalling how many parents were there with their 10-12 year olds to pick up the game. They have no thought over how graphic games such as those can affect younger children such as that.

I'm sure they care, or at least, they did before the constant tantrums and shit came along. Video games are becoming closer and closer to today's babysitters. They higher the age tag, the greater the desire for never before seen/less limited content and the feeling to be 'mature'.

#31 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Even that game pales in comparison to The Darkness 2 and I find it appalling how many parents were there with their 10-12 year olds to pick up the game. They have no thought over how graphic games such as those can affect younger children such as that.

If any parent is stupid enough to walk in and blindly buy their child a game that clearly says on the box "M for Mature: 17 and up", then they deserve to have their children potentially scarred from the effects of the game.

#32 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Well I grew up on killfests and UltraMurderSimulator 2200s and the like and I'm not some crazy psycho. At least I hope I'm not.... why are you looking at me like that.....

#33 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

It's not really a debate when everyone is on the same side.

#34 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Lets change gears then. How many of you actually play on Xbox live?

#35 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I don't even own an xbox.

#36 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

I play on local LOTS - but no XBL as of yet.

#37 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

I don't even own an xbox 360.

#38 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Call of Duty anyone?

#39 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Call of Duty anyone?

Not me. Only good for the Spec Ops/Campaign/Zombies.

#40 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Call of Duty anyone?

Modern Warefare 3, I am currently prestige 6 level 59. I am an MSR heavy player. Quick scope or hard scope doesn't matter to me I still wipe the floor with the enemy team.

#41 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Modern Warefare 3, I am currently prestige 6 level 59. I am an MSR heavy player. Quick scope or hard scope doesn't matter to me I still wipe the floor with the enemy team.

Thank God - someone that doesn't use the PP90M1!

#42 skittlez

skittlez
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

There is a reason why games are rated, and why little kids have to show their ID if they're buying a mature rated video game. So...yes, parents should pay attention to what their kids are playing, especially the super young ones, in elementary school. Those are the ones that turn into angry gamers. lol

#43 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

If kids out there seriously don't know the difference between a "video game" and real life...
And they actually go out and start shooting Cops like on Grand Theft Auto...
Then it is obvious the kid had a problem before he/she started gaming.
I will cast my vote now and blame the parents.
That's my two cents... debate over that shit...

I'm going to go pick up a hooker now and shoot her when she gets out of the car to get my money back.
GTA3 was the shit haha

#44 skittlez

skittlez
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

anybody looking for a new xbox live friend? I want new people to chat and game with.

#45 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Depends entirely on what games you play. I am mainly a FPS, RTS, and RPG player.

#46 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

RPG player.

Considering RPGs are single player, kinda useless to say you play them when trying to get friends...

#47 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Considering RPGs are single player, kinda useless to say you play them when trying to get friends...

Well... actually Fable 2 and Fable 3 encourage people to pair up and explore each other's realms.

Also I never said I am trying to get friends, I already have 90 people on my friends list and I just went through last week and deleted a bunch. I'm already almost at max capacity again.

#48 skittlez

skittlez
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

I play everything....From fable, to gears of war. I have a game collection of over 70 games :)

#49 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Last Weeks Summary:

Posted Image
As many of you are sure to have heard the Darkness 2 has been released. This is a great game following FPS/Action Genres and is one of the single most demonic and evil games I have ever personally played. I've already beat the game but it doesn't change the fact that I have already started replaying it. The game has a very interesting skill tree set up that is on a disk design severed into 3 different sections.

Utilizing the Darkenss powers are fluid and using them constantly becomes natural... shooting an enemy across the Fairground with your Assualt Rifle then slashing one that runs up close to you with your Demon Arm, destroying the armor or killing the enemy, has never been so sweet or graphic!

This is by far the bloodiest and goriest game I have played in quite awhile. Displacing any Resident Evil game that has been released in quite some time, you literally tear some enemies in half and decapitate others. Devouring hearts can give you Health now if you upgrade that skill. Shooting out lights grants you a +1 darkness point. Artifact collectibles grant you +300.

The multiplayer aspect isn't the greatest. It's kind of like you just go mission to mission completing various tasks and leveling up one of four characters. Alternatively you can play Co-Op Campaign which is pretty good but it is over XBL only which kinda hurts it.

#50 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Dear God, resize that image to something smaller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users