• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:53 AM

As I'm sure you will have heard in some manner, the world will end on December 21st, 2012. But if you didn't know already, here's a bit of information I have paraphrased slightly and compressed into a reasonable amount of text:

The Mayans Never Predicted Doomsday

Before we continue, it's worth emphasizing that this meso-american calendar (as used by several cultures, including the Maya, in Central and South America before the continent was colonized by the Europeans) predict an apocalypse.

The Mayan civilization existed from 250-900 A.D. in the current geographical location of southern Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador and some of Honduras.
Archaeologists studying this fascinating culture have been able to decipher their many calendars, but their longest period calendar, the "Long Count", is what set alarm bells off in the fertile minds of a few conspiracy theorists, doomsayers and business-men.
So, where's the problem?

The Long Count was used by the Maya to document past and future events. Their other calendars were simply too short to document any date beyond 52 years. The 52-year calendar -- known as the "Calendar Round" -- was used as it spans a generation, or the approximate lifetime of an individual.
Using the Calendar Round meant that events in a person's life could be chronicled over 52 years - or 52 "Haab's," spanning 18,980 unique days. But what if the Maya wanted to keep note of a historical event that occurred more than 52 years ago? Or perhaps mark a date more than 52 years into the future?

It's Just a Numerical Coincidence

Using remarkable ingenuity, the Maya created the "Long Count" calendar, a departure from the shorter calendars. The Long Count is a numerically predictable calendar, not based on archaic measures of time.
Now, purely as a consequence of the Long Count's numerical value, many Mayan scholars agree that the calendar will "run out" after 5,126 years (or, at least, it's first cycle does). The Mayans set this calendar to begin in the year 3114 B.C. (according to our modern Gregorian calendar). If the Long Count began in 3114 B.C. and it's calculated to continue for 5126 years, the "end date" will be, you guessed it, 2012 A.D. Further refinement sets the date to Dec. 21, the winter solstice for the Northern Hemisphere.

Additional pages you may find useful/informative are:

http://www.webexhibi...ndar-mayan.html
http://news.discover...t-be-wrong.html

I personally believe that it's a load of crap - sure, there have been instances that seem it to be very likely, but still, I like to plant myself in modern science and logic:
This is just a money-making scheme, and the only things that will bring about a change on this sort of magnitude will be something the Mayans couldn't predict.

So, doomsday theories and/or the Mayan Calendar - what's your stance on the subject?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

it's a load of crap

The world will, of course, end one day but not any time soon unless the scientists missed a huge rogue asteroid on a collision course (which isn't too likely).

#3 dannyo669

dannyo669
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Looks like an good read I shall read it later ;)

#4 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

The world will, of course, end one day but not any time soon unless the scientists missed a huge rogue asteroid on a collision course (which isn't too likely).

More likely than this, at least. :p

#5 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:36 AM

My idea for what will happen this year is not one of catastrophe, but more progressive. I think that we are coming into a time of awakening and enlightenment. I don't think that our planet is going to be destroyed, but rather in a way reborn as we ascend into our next Golden Age.

#6 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

I love talking about doomsday theories, however I think they are all invalid because I believe the world will end in the way I describe below. As for the Mayan calendar, I don't think it means anything. They were scientifically advanced, not psychic.

I believe the world will end soon after a red heifer is born in Israel. The Jewish people need a three year old, unworked red heifer to build the temple again on the Temple Mount. Coincidentally, it is one of the holiest places in the Muslim religion and currently controlled by the Muslims. The Muslim Dome of the Rock is smack in the middle of the Mount, where the Jewish Temple needs to go.

Need the Temple for the Jewish Messiah to come = need heifer = need Muslims off the Mount = Christianity fearing the anti-Christ = worldwide nuclear Holocaust.

#7 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

If you think that this date has any type of significance in the modern world, other than the fact that other morons like you are going to go nuts that day, then you are an idiot.

#8 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

Or that damn LHC will create a blackhole that will swallow us all up :(

And it obiviously is a scam. If they were capable of predicting a catastrophe thousands of years in advance, they easily would have been able to survive until now, and escape into space. They would still exist, but they dead because they didn't have future telling powers. All they had was the ability to count numbers (Which does them no good against swords)

#9 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Or that damn LHC will create a blackhole that will swallow us all up :(

And it obiviously is a scam. If they were capable of predicting a catastrophe thousands of years in advance, they easily would have been able to survive until now, and escape into space. They would still exist, but they dead because they didn't have future telling powers. All they had was the ability to count numbers (Which does them no good against swords)

You forget that you can do a lot with numbers Argue. Who's to say that they couldn't have done more to further their civilisation(s) - assuming they hadn't spent so much time sacrificing people or fighting wars?

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

To be fair they were significantly disadvantaged by their location in the world. If you compare it with Eurasia, South America was disadvantaged in some key resources which allowed Eurasians to develop much quicker. For example, early Eurasians were able to develop agriculture and farming earlier because they were lucky enough to have the best crops and animals on their continent (plants like barley and wheat and animals like sheep, horses and cows could be found in Eurasia whereas South America only really had early versions of maize and their largest animals were llamas and alpacas which aren't as easy to domesticate and can't be used as work animals for farming etc). You should read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond if you're interested in subjects like environmental determinism, it's a pretty good read. ;) Ultimately the early empires of South America didn't stand a chance once the Europeans arrived.

#11 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

To be fair they were significantly disadvantaged by their location in the world. If you compare it with Eurasia, South America was disadvantaged in some key resources which allowed Eurasians to develop much quicker. For example, early Eurasians were able to develop agriculture and farming earlier because they were lucky enough to have the best crops and animals on their continent (plants like barley and wheat and animals like sheep, horses and cows could be found in Eurasia whereas South America only really had early versions of maize and their largest animals were llamas and alpacas which aren't as easy to domesticate and can't be used as work animals for farming etc). You should read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond if you're interested in subjects like environmental determinism, it's a pretty good read. ;) Ultimately the early empires of South America didn't stand a chance once the Europeans arrived.

No. They could predict the future. They could look ahead in the future, and learn how to make guns. How to make everything. If they were capable of predicting doomsday, they would have easily been able to advance their own technology. Conquer Europe with plans and tanks.

Obviously this wasn't the case, and they just were good with numbers :p.

I do know how they were disadvantages, and why they died off. What I am trying to point out is that the capacity to predict doomsday should have helped saved them very easily. Given that they didn't survive, I doubt they knew the world would end (especially since they should have seen their own doomsday and tried to stop it)

#12 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

The Mayans set this calendar to begin in the year 3114 B.C. (according to our modern Gregorian calendar). If the Long Count began in 3114 B.C. and it's calculated to continue for 5126 years, the "end date" will be, you guessed it, 2012 A.D.

Oooor maybe they just got bored of doing all those predictions and calculations and things and stopped there for the night, continued doing their Mayan things the next day and forgot about completing it?? :9
I don't know, hehehe~ I haven't done any sort of research on this but yeah there's my two cents!

#13 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

No. They could predict the future. They could look ahead in the future, and learn how to make guns. How to make everything. If they were capable of predicting doomsday, they would have easily been able to advance their own technology. Conquer Europe with plans and tanks.

I do know how they were disadvantages, and why they died off. What I am trying to point out is that the capacity to predict doomsday should have helped saved them very easily. Given that they didn't survive, I doubt they knew the world would end (especially since they should have seen their own doomsday and tried to stop it)

Hang on - so you're saying they could predict the future... but they couldn't. How does that work?

#14 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

They probably never thought they could predict anything, it's just silly westerners who came up with a theory based on their calendar (which we don't even really know much about). :p

#15 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

Prophecy and precognition of a major event in the history of the world do not give one the ability to or even suggest the necessity to know all possible future events.

Oooor maybe they just got bored of doing all those predictions and calculations and things and stopped there for the night, continued doing their Mayan things the next day and forgot about completing it?? :9
I don't know, hehehe~ I haven't done any sort of research on this but yeah there's my two cents!

Turnip you are so fucking cute
ā™„ā™„ā™„

#16 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

Turnip you are so fucking cute
ā™„ā™„ā™„

Heheheh~ Thankies!! :wub: :heart:

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Maybe they did try to stop it and failed, so this year would've been their new predicted end of civilization, instead of when they actually died out.

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hang on - so you're saying they could predict the future... but they couldn't. How does that work?

I'm saying if they could predict the future, they would still be alive today. Since they are not, its obvious they could not predict the future.

They probably never thought they could predict anything, it's just silly westerners who came up with a theory based on their calendar (which we don't even really know much about). :p

Obviously, its why its a theory, and a bullshit one at that :p

Prophecy and precognition of a major event in the history of the world do not give one the ability to or even suggest the necessity to know all possible future events.

So you are saying they could predict an event thousands of years in advanced, to the day, but couldn't do anything else at all?

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

So you are saying they could predict an event thousands of years in advanced, to the day, but couldn't do anything else at all?

No, I am saying that IF they were able to predict or foresee one event, that does not mean that they had the ability to "tell the future."

Here is a modern-day real world example

Let's say John is married to Mary. Mary has a good friend from work, Bill. Bill always smiles when he looks at Mary, and gets nervous around John. Mary flushes when Bill is brought up in conversation.
Bill and Mary take lunches together and "coincidentally" end up at the water cooler at the same time frequently throughout the day.
Their coworkers may even refer to them as each other's "work spouse."
Bill and Mary have an upcoming business trip. John thinks they will end up sleeping together.
They do.
Does this mean that John can tell the future or give him the ability of precognition? No.
He just put two and two together.

This is pretty much what it is postulated that the Mayans did, only on a much larger scale.

#20 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

I'm saying if they could predict the future, they would still be alive today. Since they are not, its obvious they could not predict the future.

Obviously, its why its a theory, and a bullshit one at that :p

You guy's are obviously forgetting that some people think that the knowledge wasn't even theirs to begin with.
That they were given the information by "beings" from somewhere else
Hence why the made weird statues of astronaut looking things and flying machines.

*makes eerie ghost sound and back peddles his way out slowly*

#21 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

You guy's are obviously forgetting that some people think that the knowledge wasn't even theirs to begin with.
That they were given the information by "beings" from somewhere else
Hence why the made weird statues of astronaut looking things and flying machines.

*makes eerie ghost sound and back peddles his way out slowly*

Now, this has definitely been proven to be BS. Please don't Leaf. :p

Edited by Russell, 13 February 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#22 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Now, this has definitely been proven to be BS. Please don't Leaf. :p

Haahaha.... I was trying to kindle a fire.

Ya i don't believe aliens are in our solar system

they probably would have initiated contact already if they were here

why would they just sit there and watch us?

fuckin peeping toms

#23 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

why would they just sit there and watch us?

fuckin peeping toms

Various reasons - too many to list. Think about it, you'll reach the first few conclusions. :)

#24 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Various reasons - too many to list. Think about it, you'll reach the first few conclusions. :)

Give me 1.

#25 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Please stop

Just stop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users