Photo

Doomsday Theories

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

Yeah what nymh said... Anyways you should post up more doomsday prophecies. I think it would be fun to read then when i get off work.

#27 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

Now, this has definitely been proven to be BS. Please don't Leaf. :p

How was it proven? When?

Edit: Sorry, this was going off-topic.

Edited by Napiform, 13 February 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#28 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

How was it proven? When?

hey lets start a thread about aliens! Russel want to help us? i gtg to work but that we we can have the Doomsday one and an Aliens one.
I want to hear what people have to say on both subjects without getting off topic on one of them.

Anyways, i think it would be cool.

Peace out Russel.
Bye Napiform

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

The blind berating the blind.
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

#30 zxzero

zxzero
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

I don't know about the world ending, however, humans may cease to exist one day. The world will be perfectly fine though it has already survived a billion years xD

I also think that it is a money scheme, but you never know anything can happen, I don;t like to close my mind off to any possibilities. :p

#31 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

You guy's are obviously forgetting that some people think that the knowledge wasn't even theirs to begin with.
That they were given the information by "beings" from somewhere else
Hence why the made weird statues of astronaut looking things and flying machines.

*makes eerie ghost sound and back peddles his way out slowly*

Posted Image

#32 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

No, I am saying that IF they were able to predict or foresee one event, that does not mean that they had the ability to "tell the future."

Here is a modern-day real world example

Let's say John is married to Mary. Mary has a good friend from work, Bill. Bill always smiles when he looks at Mary, and gets nervous around John. Mary flushes when Bill is brought up in conversation.
Bill and Mary take lunches together and "coincidentally" end up at the water cooler at the same time frequently throughout the day.
Their coworkers may even refer to them as each other's "work spouse."
Bill and Mary have an upcoming business trip. John thinks they will end up sleeping together.
They do.
Does this mean that John can tell the future or give him the ability of precognition? No.
He just put two and two together.

This is pretty much what it is postulated that the Mayans did, only on a much larger scale.

No. Thats completely different. Because they are given data before hand that predicts what will happen. What possible data could they have (that we don't have) that would predict the end of the earth? Are you saying that they watched the stars, and saw a meteor that was going to hit us and end the world, and we haven't seen this, despite having significantly advanced technology?

They didn't put two and two together to come up with this end of the world. They used math and numbers to create a calender that will span for x years. Either its the obvious thing, a coincidence and they just didn't have a need to continue it, or they managed to predict the end of the world, in which case this would be an actual prediction of the future, not inferring from the obvious.

#33 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Accurately predicting an event in a deterministic universe cannot alter the course of future events.

#34 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Accurately predicting an event in a deterministic universe cannot alter the course of future events.

But it gives us options.

If it was the last day on earth and i didn't know about it... I'd probably be at work or on the fucking internet

If i DID know when the world was going to end.... I'd be higher than i kite... To be completely honest.

Edited by LeafMashes, 13 February 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#35 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Introducing.... Mayan Calender V2! Coming soon to stores Dec 22!

#36 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

But it gives us options.

Do you actually know what a deterministic universe is?

#37 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Do you actually know what a deterministic universe is?

No but that's what they invented google for.

I would look it up, but seeing as how i don't care...

#38 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if...
society after so many years of being bombarded with doomsday theories that we become extremely suspicious of all of them. Then when we're at the height of human civilization when we're scooting around in hovercrafts and have neat robot servants and invented a renewable energy source and cure cancer that some scientist will be like "the world is going to end!" and we're all "yea riiight, HEARD THAT BEFORE LOLOLOL" and then we all die horrible and agonizing deaths.

This is my flawless theory. My logic is infallible.

#39 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if...
society after so many years of being bombarded with doomsday theories that we become extremely suspicious of all of them. Then when we're at the height of human civilization when we're scooting around in hovercrafts and have neat robot servants and invented a renewable energy source and cure cancer that some scientist will be like "the world is going to end!" and we're all "yea riiight, HEARD THAT BEFORE LOLOLOL" and then we all die horrible and agonizing deaths.

This is my flawless theory. My logic is infallible.

But there will always be some lunatic somewhere that believes it... your theory hinges on the fact that humans can become aloof to such theories but this is just not possible (otherwise it would have already happened by now after so many failed doomsdays)

#40 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

hey am i aloud to throw the Bible in this discussion?
the bible is full of prophecy and while many people say that its very open to interpretation...
A lot of it is very direct and straight forward and has in fact come to pass.

1 book.... Supposedly written by many coauthors, who were speaking on behalf of 1 God.

There is plenty about dooms day in the bible. It exempts time and date for this event but gives details about how it will occur.

anyways... feel free to yell at me or agree, w/e. I just want to see what you educated folk think about "God" and his prophecies.

#41 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

But there will always be some lunatic somewhere that believes it... your theory hinges on the fact that humans can become aloof to such theories but this is just not possible (otherwise it would have already happened by now after so many failed doomsdays)

My theory is based off The Boy Who Cried Wolf, so it's not going to be a solid concept lol ^-^

However, a lunatic isn't going to stop the destruction of our civilization. Depending on what will be destroying us matters, but it's safe to say something that can destroy us would need a lot of attention and devotion from our civilization as a whole to be avoided. I'm simply saying if the majority of us aren't able to believe a doomsday theory then we will ignore it. The probability that we won't believe future doomsday theories could possibly be perpetuated by the mass amount of predictions we've seen fail.

There are a ton of speculation and assumptions in this, so try to take it with a grain of salt :)

I just want to see what you educated folk think about "God" and his prophecies.

We don't.

Spoiler

Edited by MsRose, 14 February 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#42 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

anyways... feel free to yell at me or agree, w/e. I just want to see what you educated folk think about "God" and his prophecies.

I already did... the red heifer is straight out of the Bible.

#43 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sentient computers. That's the beginning of the end.

#44 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

My theory is based off The Boy Who Cried Wolf, so it's not going to be a solid concept lol ^-^

However, a lunatic isn't going to stop the destruction of our civilization. Depending on what will be destroying us matters, but it's safe to say something that can destroy us would need a lot of attention and devotion from our civilization as a whole to be avoided. I'm simply saying if the majority of us aren't able to believe a doomsday theory then we will ignore it. The probability that we won't believe future doomsday theories could possibly be perpetuated by the mass amount of predictions we've seen fail.

There are a ton of speculation and assumptions in this, so try to take it with a grain of salt :)

I wasn't taking it seriously, it was just a thought. I see where you're coming from and agree for the most part. At some point, the majority of people would probably just stop believing in it due to the fact that it hasn't happened (or come close... Y2K anyone??) Of course even if we did believe it, there's nothing that could be done to stop it, or is there :p

#45 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Sentient computers. That's the beginning of the end.

You have peaked my attention.

I believe in the coming Technological Singularity although the form it will take is not as clear as the fact that it will come.

1. Moore's Law
2. Time
3. ??????
4. Profit + strong AI

#46 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

No but that's what they invented google for.

I would look it up, but seeing as how i don't care...

Top notch attitude, that. Well done.
I am overawed by your hardcore demeanour.

#47 Kcorj2244

Kcorj2244
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Its all fake, its hilarious.

#48 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Dec 21 should now become an international holiday where we live like it's our last day on Earth.

Let the orgies ensue!

#49 themaskedmongoose

themaskedmongoose
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm one of those who believe (almost hopes) the zombie apocalypse would kick us in the gonads when we least expect it.

The Mayan thing is a load of crud though.

#50 Kauvara

Kauvara
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Meh.....sometimes I wonder if December 21, 2012 is the day when aliens return to Earth. If they were even here in the first place anyways.....which I believe they were, lol. This isn't really up for debate by the way, the topic is much too controversial. Can't prove they do exist but at the same time can't prove they don't. We just don't know.

It's kind of exciting, but at the same time nightmare evoking.
Either way, a small group of friends and myself plan on getting completely shit faced beforehand.....that way if the world really ends, we'll all be too fucked up to care. Huzzah!

Edit: I always forget to put a damn period somewhere.

Edited by Jabberwock, 16 February 2012 - 08:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users