Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

Bone's Guide on How to Write a Guide

Posted Image

STEP ONE: CHOOSE A TOPIC

This first decision is often the hardest. Before even starting, assess what areas you are knowledgeable in. You want to contribute some new information or way of looking at this information. The best guides here on Neocodex have a specific topic and concisely address the issue. If you try to cover too much ground, your message will likely be lost in all the extraneous detail. Finally, guides that are specifically pertinent to Neocodex are usually more helpful than guides that don't go beyond what people can say on Neopets.

Posted Image<- I love the internet

STEP TWO: WRITE THE GUIDE

If you really know your stuff, this very well may be the easiest part! One of the most important things to do is to effectively organise the information you are presenting. Try using lists, font adjustments, indentations, and whatever else you can find in the post editor. If you're presenting your guide as a block of text, it will not be read by the vast majority of those who click on the topic.

Posted Image

STEP THREE: POLISH, POLISH, POLISH

If you post your new guide as soon as you finish the last sentence, it'll be no more than a mess. Most guides will develop beyond your original intentions, so make sure the organisation and formatting of the guide still makes sense. Don't be afraid to add your own flair, whether that be humor, humor, or humor. To add that extra layer of credibility, make sure you spell-check and read through the guide a few times before finally clicking 'Post'.

Posted Image

STEP FOUR: POST AND REVEL IN YOUR SUCCESS

Congratulations! You have just written a guide that has not only helped the Neocodex community, but have also improved your own ego and reputation.

Posted Image

STEP FIVE: SURPRISE! REVISE AND ADD

Just kidding, you're not done yet! People will inevitably find problems with your guide and change will need to made. If you feel that their suggestion is not in order, don't feel obligated to make it, but remain open to suggestions and criticism. To ensure your guide remains relevant, make sure you update links as they die, account for changes in Neocodex or Neopets that may affect its content, and try to answer any questions people have.

Edited by Bone, 20 February 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#2 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

A major improvement over the last version. It is a great guide...

*starts lurking*

#3 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

Stop trying to pretend you care and contribute. We know you're only here because it looks good on a high school transcript to still play neopets

#4 Faerhii

Faerhii
  • 182 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Posted Image

#5 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Stop trying to pretend you care and contribute. We know you're only here because it looks good on a high school transcript to still play neopets

You've got it all wrong. I've made it clear I'm here for the bitches. And bitches love gifs.

#6 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

Looks like a ripoff of my guide:
http://www.neocodex....py-guide-guide/

#7 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Looks like a ripoff of my guide:
http://www.neocodex....py-guide-guide/

Nah, I already did that but it wasn't well received.

#8 CJames

CJames
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

I think most of the time step 3 is not really done for most of the guides i seen recently... that would explain all the horror guides that were recently seen popping up a lot...

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

I like this positive, up-beat version better.

#10 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Bravo.

Posted Image

This is now a clapping gif thread.

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts