• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

It's an area of poor research :p

Stop making unsubstantiated claims sound like facts then. :p I expect better of you.

#27 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

Stop making unsubstantiated claims sound like facts then. :p I expect better of you.

Please. Anyone can see the giant words in the first post that say "this house proposes".

#28 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

Please. Anyone can see the giant words in the first post that say "this house proposes".

Weasel words don't impress me.

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

Weasel words don't impress me.

That's not using "weasel words" O_o
I don't see how anyone could mistake my posts in this thread for anything other than opinion.

#30 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Would you kids just get a room already

#31 chini

chini
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

Knew a guy in high school who completely hating reading, ranting about how "useless" it was, and how boring books were. He rather watch the movie versions of books than read them. He is still like that now.

That poor poor stupid soul. Missing out on so much.

#32 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

i don't understand this thread.

#33 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

If they don't like reading in any form, then yes I would have to agree.

#34 MasterJunpei

MasterJunpei
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well, the problem with the proposal is the fact that reading is what makes you an interesting person. I have a buddy, thats a mechanic. I like cars, and working on them. He doesn't read manuals or really anything besides the listings of cars etc. IE. The prices is about it. Yet he can explain to me how an engine works, functions and so on, simply from the fact that he's worked on and around them for so long. I enjoy having conversations with him on the subjects that he knows.

Reading isn't the only way that you become intelligent or aquire knowledge. So the argument that not like to read makes you a vapid cesspit of intellectual deficiency is wrong. Not saying that it may not be true in some cases, but more than likely, in those cases, there are more factors at work than just "not liking to read".

Edited by MasterJunpei, 23 February 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#35 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

It's kind of interesting that you would post this in a place that is pretty much based on people reading in order to interact. Do you think you may be reaching out to a biased audience?

#36 MoriNoRyu

MoriNoRyu
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

I dunno...
Whenever I tell anyone I read for fun they just look at me funny... Maybe I need to get better friends. Though you would think reading would be very common at university, go figure.
So I feel it's less that not liking reading makes you a "vapid cesspit of intellectual deficiency" and more that enjoying reading makes you a more intellectual person.
But of course i'm biased. But who isn't.

#37 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

The majority of people I know, save for my parents and two friends, believe that reading is boring and useless. That majority has voiced their opinion multiple times, stating that there must be wrong with me for enjoying reading. That said majority seems to have some sense of pride about not reading and not liking it. I don't get it. I also find it strange that they repeatedly voice the opinion that reading is useless and a complete waste of time, and I could be doing something more interesting. Those people have a much limited vocabulary as compared to my parents, or myself. Perhaps that's why I was able to write compositions, while they struggled to formulate descriptive sentences. People like what they like, but I'm not going defend the people I know, since they insult me in an effort to make their lack of literary knowledge seem somehow superior.

Edited by Ladida, 23 February 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#38 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

I dunno...
Whenever I tell anyone I read for fun they just look at me funny... Maybe I need to get better friends. Though you would think reading would be very common at university, go figure.
So I feel it's less that not liking reading makes you a "vapid cesspit of intellectual deficiency" and more that enjoying reading makes you a more intellectual person.
But of course i'm biased. But who isn't.

Haha that reminds me of something funny that happened to me a few years ago

I had set my books down on the counter in the surgery center I worked at while I was getting my stuff ready to go. A guy walked by and saw my books and looked at them quizzically. He was like, "Whose books are these?"
"Mine."
"Are you in a class or something?"
"No.."
"So you just read Dr. Deming's management methods for fun?"
"Yup."
"...weird..."

Hee hee it still cracks me up to think about it.

#39 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

It's kind of interesting that you would post this in a place that is pretty much based on people reading in order to interact. Do you think you may be reaching out to a biased audience?

Well, the responses would generally indicate otherwise.

And besides which, I'm pretty much stuck with a biased audience wherever I turn, short of sending out a nationwide survey on audiotape.

#40 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

Reading is mainly useful because it stimulates the language centers in our brains. That and for the dissemination of information.

Language is a necessary part of interacting in society. Information is not strictly necessary in that, admittedly very wide, context. One could be perfectly capable of conversing without having a single fact or other informational bit to talk about. Most people in such a situation wouldn't get far, but not all would fall short. Just look at Glen Beck. He got a TV show by claiming (and 'illustrating') that liberals are ideologically close to both nazis and communists.

Also, reading is not the only form of disseminating information, although it is certainly the most accurate and one of the most widespread next to radio and illustrated messages.

#41 Kauvara

Kauvara
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

I love learning, I read absolutely anything I can get my hands on, whether it be the dictionary or the back of a box of cookies. I tend to steer clear of those who hate reading or doing homework because they feel it is "useless."
Funny, I could say the same thing about you :whistling:

Haha xD Just kidding, but seriously. Can anyone here give me some insight as to why these people feel this way?

#42 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

And besides which, I'm pretty much stuck with a biased audience wherever I turn, short of sending out a nationwide survey on audiotape.

That's assuming that most survey participants complete the survey because they enjoy reading it. I don't know about you, but I don't know many people who read surveys for pleasure :p

#43 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

What about people who solely read things that have been critically dismissed as vapid, badly crafted and badly written? Isn't that less intellectually stimulating than watching an informative documentary, for example? And if we're arguing about who we'd rather hold a conversation with, I'd take the documentary junkie over the paint-by-numbers book reader. Especially if I could rope them into being on my team in pub quizzes.

Also, Pinkie Pie has a great attention span. Party planning is serious business.

Edited by Lychee, 25 February 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#44 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

What about people who solely read things that have been critically dismissed as vapid, badly crafted and badly written? Isn't that less intellectually stimulating than watching an informative documentary, for example? And if we're arguing about who we'd rather hold a conversation with, I'd take the documentary junkie over the paint-by-numbers book reader. Especially if I could rope them into being on my team in pub quizzes.

Also, Pinkie Pie has a great attention span. Party planning is serious business.

Reading requires a far deeper engagement with the material than watching television.
The difference that you're choosing to pick up on is their taste in material, not the way they consume it.

I don't think there'd be many people who genuinely enjoy documentaries that don't also read.

#45 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I think it's important to define intellect first.<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
  • The faculty of reasoning and understanding objectively, esp. with regard to abstract or academic matters.
  • The understanding or mental powers of a particular person: "her education, intellect and talent".

Without reading I would say that only the first part of the first definition is possible. Through living and interacting with others I think you can learn how to reason and to some extent objectively understand things. However to satisfy the second definition and be classified as intellectual you need to be educated and in my opinion that's all but impossible without reading.

Reading opens your eyes to new points of view, increases your vocabulary and therefore helps you to communicate with others and express your opinions. It can give insight into unfamiliar topics and issues and make you a more interesting person to talk to.

I love reading and can't really understand why you wouldn't however I don't mind talking to and being around people who dislike reading as long as they're still good fun. The only problems arise when you realise there's only so far your conversation can go with them...

Then again seeing as I go to one of the highest ranked grammar schools in the uk most of the people I know are very intellectual, very academic and very well-read so I don't have much experience talking to those who don't read.

Edited by trizzle, 25 February 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#46 namida

namida
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

there is a lot of knowledge that isn't found in books ...for example video tutorials out-way any manual ...but movies can limit the imagination and some books simply can not be turned into decent movies.

I'm a firm believer in practice/application over theories.

...so I say it's invalid....

although my bookworm girlfriends say it's valid. ...for the reasons stated above by other neocodex members.

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

for example video tutorials out-way any manual

Perhaps if you read a little more, you might be aware that the term is "out-weigh", and you might understand a little more about what you're actually saying rather than parroting the catchy phrases you heard in the last movie adaptation you watched?

#48 namida

namida
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Perhaps if you read a little more, you might be aware that the term is "out-weigh", and you might understand a little more about what you're actually saying rather than parroting the catchy phrases you heard in the last movie adaptation you watched?

first sorry..you are correct it's out weigh, thanks for telling me :)

second I guess it's in your nature to be sarcastic and not actually mean , I don't think reading a little more will make you an intellectual , or reading less or disliking to read will make you a intellectual degenerate , there is a lot of knowledge that can't be gained through reading books,magazines,blogs etc :) but they do help as they are a very good vessel for knowledge .

#49 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Mixing "perhaps" and "might" is grammatically redundant; your "might" should be "would". "Outweigh" is not hyphenated. : P

#50 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Can you concieve of someone you would want to interact with, who didn't enjoy reading in any form?

Depends on how hot they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users