• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

http://www.skymachin...dental-Term.htm

I'm just curious how the supporters of Obama defend this one.

In 8 years, Bush managed to raise the debt by 5 trillion. Obama has accomplished that in 4 years. Now that our deficit is 99.7% of our GDP, what do you use as a reason for continuing to support Obama in his campaign for a second term?

#2 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

I don't really know all that much about American politics but I liked Obama's campaign when he ran for president.

http://whatthefuckha...adonesofar.com/

I looked at that the other day and it seemed impressive and did have some sources to back up its claims, but I haven't really looked into how accurate the sources are.

Still, it's a hard time for the whole world at the moment and I don't envy a single President or Prime Minister anywhere, what with all the problems they are facing; the global recession being perhaps the largest.

#3 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

what do you use as a reason for continuing to support Obama in his campaign for a second term?

It's racist not to

#4 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

I don't really know all that much about American politics but I liked Obama's campaign when he ran for president.

http://whatthefuckha...adonesofar.com/

I looked at that the other day and it seemed impressive and did have some sources to back up its claims, but I haven't really looked into how accurate the sources are.

Still, it's a hard time for the whole world at the moment and I don't envy a single President or Prime Minister anywhere, what with all the problems they are facing; the global recession being perhaps the largest.

That site is just stupid...

#5 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't really see what's stupid about it, if the sources are accurate on that page. It's showing what Obama has accomplished, which can be reasons people use to continue to support him.

#6 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm with SL, why do you say that iargue? Because you have nothing else to defend yourself with, maybe?

#7 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Here we go again.

Are you insinuating that the success of the entire United States and it's financial, political, military, judicial, etc objectives lie in the hands of one person?

#8 Averssion

Averssion
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yes, because it's entirely Obama's fault that the US is circling the toilet.

Not the millions of other problems that the country has. Or the recent economic issues. Or the fact that it's a dying empire.

And Bush was a terrible President - though it doesn't seem like he was as destructive as any of the current Republican nominees have the potential to be.

#9 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Neocodex - Neopets Fan Community and Cheats> Neocodex Discussions> General Chat> General Debate

At least defend your point.

Edited by Pikachuu, 19 April 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I don't really see what's stupid about it, if the sources are accurate on that page. It's showing what Obama has accomplished, which can be reasons people use to continue to support him.

I'm with SL, why do you say that iargue? Because you have nothing else to defend yourself with, maybe?

I'll make a topic later about why its stupid, so we can stay on topic here.

#11 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Here we go again.

Are you insinuating that the success of the entire United States and it's financial, political, military, judicial, etc objectives lie in the hands of one person?

It's difficult to pin the blame on Obama alone, since he inherited a huge economic mess from the last administration. The House of Representatives, from what I understand, is also majority Republican at the moment, so it's not even just the Democrats running the show.

#12 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

-____-

Why does everyone attack him? Let bygones be bygones.

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Here we go again.

Actually. I'm not insinuating a point at all, or implying anything.

One of Obama's biggest promise was to reduce government spending, and here we stand with significantly increased government spending, with a giant public debt.

I'm asking why people still support him when he failed one of his largest promised goals?

#14 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

It's difficult to pin the blame on Obama alone, since he inherited a huge economic mess from the last administration. The House of Representatives, from what I understand, is also majority Republican at the moment, so it's not even just the Democrats running the show.

The democratic party controlled both the House of Reps and the Senate when he was voted in.

Not to say that it was a sufficient amount of time though.

#15 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Neocodex - Neopets Fan Community and Cheats> Neocodex Discussions> General Chat> General Debate

At least defend your point.

I did not defend my post because a new topic should be created for that site. Stick to this topic and I'll create one to explain that later (Namely, most of the things there are not quantifiable)

#16 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

One of Obama's biggest promise was to reduce government spending, and here we stand with significantly increased government spending, with a giant public debt.

I'm asking why people still support him when he failed one of his largest promised goals?

I find that passing a Universal health care program, improving water quality, enacting environmental reform laws and attempting to pass the DREAM act pretty much make up for it.

Then again, I see his conservative counterparts as corporate, money hungry, tax-dodging snobs Posted Image

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I find that passing a Universal health care program, improving water quality, enacting environmental reform laws and attempting to pass the DREAM act pretty much make up for it.

Then again, I see his conservative counterparts as corporate, money hungry, tax-dodging snobs Posted Image

He did not pas a Universal Health Care program. He passed a reform act that simply changes the way that our current health care system works (and punished those that don't but insurance). Please understand WHAT he actually did over what he said he did. Canada has universal health care, we do not.

Does your support from him stem from the fact that you do not see any other candidate that can take it place, or is it more because of what hes done?

#18 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Would you rather have had someone in office who slashed public programs, raised taxes across the board and pulled our troops out of the areas they were in hastily in an effort to reduce the national deficit? Or maybe he could have just given all those American owned corporations and banks a big black middle finger when they went belly-up; that would have saved us what, like 800 billion dollars?

You know, when Pyro and Soul took their positions as admins of this site, and days later all hell broke loose - the servers were crashing, Neo was breaking, code wasn't working - they could have just said, "Too bad, we already have your money, fuck you," and we would have all had to deal with it. But they didn't. They extended subscriptions and gave out free ones - things that they knew would cost the site money - because it was the right thing to do, it was fair and it kept the users happy.

I'm not saying I'm Obama's biggest fan but I think that basing lack of support on him solely on the fact that our national deficit is greater than it was four years ago is a little dense.

#19 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

He did not pas a Universal Health Care program. He passed a reform act that simply changes the way that our current health care system works (and punished those that don't but insurance). Please understand WHAT he actually did over what he said he did. Canada has universal health care, we do not.

Does your support from him stem from the fact that you do not see any other candidate that can take it place, or is it more because of what hes done?

My father, a naturalized Guatemala native, works about....50 hours a week for a construction company that gives him shitty medical insurance. Before the reform act (i'll make that concession to you) he was unable to even get a check-up without jumping through hoops of fire. It was after Obama passed the bill that he got MUCH needed treatment for his granular dystrophy.

Plus, why did you not acknowledge the other legislation I mentioned? Seems like you are being a bit selective no?

Honestly, there are soooo many things wrong with the 2 "dominant" party system we have in the United States. We hardly give any attention to other parties that have much better views than both republicans and democrats. That however, is a different topic altogether.
To answer your question, it is a combination of both. Obama is trying to get "fair" legislation passed and has succeeded in passing (or at least presenting) legislation that he promised during his campaign.

#20 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

My father, a naturalized Guatemala native, works about....50 hours a week for a construction company that gives him shitty medical insurance. Before the reform act (i'll make that concession to you) he was unable to even get a check-up without jumping through hoops of fire. It was after Obama passed the bill that he got MUCH needed treatment for his granular dystrophy.

Plus, why did you not acknowledge the other legislation I mentioned? Seems like you are being a bit selective no?

Its not universal healthcare though. He still purchases his healthcare from someone else and not everyone in the US has healthcare. Thus it is not a universal health care, but a reform. It does allow several people who didn't have healthcare to get better healthcare, but at the same time it punishes millions. I'm a native american and I have citizenship with my tribe. Because of this I get free medicare from the tribes doctors. Under the new health care laws, I have to pay a fine because I do not have healthcare. So yeah, your father gets a bonus, and I get hurt.

And yes. I didn't think the others where even worth mentioning at all. Sorry.

Would you rather have had someone in office who slashed public programs, raised taxes across the board and pulled our troops out of the areas they were in hastily in an effort to reduce the national deficit? Or maybe he could have just given all those American owned corporations and banks a big black middle finger when they went belly-up; that would have saved us what, like 800 billion dollars?

You know, when Pyro and Soul took their positions as admins of this site, and days later all hell broke loose - the servers were crashing, Neo was breaking, code wasn't working - they could have just said, "Too bad, we already have your money, fuck you," and we would have all had to deal with it. But they didn't. They extended subscriptions and gave out free ones - things that they knew would cost the site money - because it was the right thing to do, it was fair and it kept the users happy.

I'm not saying I'm Obama's biggest fan but I think that basing lack of support on him solely on the fact that our national deficit is greater than it was four years ago is a little dense.

Did Soul and Pyro come in at and say "The servers with never ever crash" and then the servers crashed? No. So why are you using this analogy? Obama specifically made a promise to reduce government spending, and yet he has done nothing but increase government spending. That is where things differ greatly. He made a promise to decrease the spending, and yet all of his policies and actions have been to spend more money, so exactly where does he keep his promise to the american people that he will reduce spending?

Edited by iargue, 19 April 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#21 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Did Soul and Pyro come in at and say "The servers with never ever crash" and then the servers crashed? No. So why are you using this analogy? Obama specifically made a promise to reduce government spending, and yet he has done nothing but increase government spending. That is where things differ greatly. He made a promise to decrease the spending, and yet all of his policies and actions have been to spend more money, so exactly where does he keep his promise to the american people that he will reduce spending?

I use that analogy to illustrate that sometimes leaders just have to do what must be done, even if it costs money

And I think that "all of his policies and actions" is a little general. Do you think that any President goes into office thinking, "I'm going to send this country to hell so fast they'll wish they had never elected me!" No... their campaigns are of course their advertisement for what they would like to be able to deliver, but when they get into office they have to deal with the hand they are dealt. I don't think any other President would have been able to get through the last four years without spending some money.

#22 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Its not universal healthcare though. He still purchases his healthcare from someone else and not everyone in the US has healthcare. Thus it is not a universal health care, but a reform. It does allow several people who didn't have healthcare to get better healthcare, but at the same time it punishes millions. I'm a native american and I have citizenship with my tribe. Because of this I get free medicare from the tribes doctors. Under the new health care laws, I have to pay a fine because I do not have healthcare. So yeah, your father gets a bonus, and I get hurt.

And yes. I didn't think the others where even worth mentioning at all. Sorry.

I made Reform vs Universal care concession to you already. Stand down soldier.

My father does not technically have insurance through his employer and does not pay any kind of "fee". (Although, i will say that my experience only extends to applications of the law to Hispanics)
I also cannot find any other sources speaking about fees to Natives. I am sorry that this law has hurt you and your tribesman.

#23 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'll make a topic later about why its stupid, so we can stay on topic here.

I look forward to this topic.

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

It doesn't matter what Obama does.
The GOP is worse.

That's really all there is to it.

Edit: I should add; I have no intention of defending this post, or continuing the discussion. I just wanted to make my position clear, and am now flouncing off to avoid another headache.

#25 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Here we go again.

No. The source of those problems lie in the hands of the 300 million US citizens. We are lazy as fuck, uneducated and lackluster toward politics, and will take anything presented to us as fact as just that.

Edited by Kyle, 19 April 2012 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users