• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#101 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'm really not trying to implicate that it is like this everywhere.

Only reason I said anything in the first place is because it seemed an unusually racist comment.

I'd appreciate if you didn't jump to a judgment of my character so quickly. It's not racism, it's an unfortunate reality. Minorities, on average, serve more jail time than caucasians for equivalent crimes.

#102 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Oh and for the record, he got longer than that, his sentence was reduced because of other reasons.
He was in jail for his 18th birthday, his 21st and originally was looking at being there for his 30th.
I don't condone what he did, in fact I only just started talking to him again recently after I found out many things.
Such as instead of joining a gang in prison he kept his head down, he did his GCSE'S, he also qualified to become a chef before he decided to pursue qualifications in Health, Fitness and Sports Medicine.

He's not a bad person, he was a kid who got mixed up with the wrong types of people and made bad decisions.

Edit: Typo's are because of autocorrect on this god forsaken iPod touch.
Apologies in advance.

That's good for him, glad to see him on a better track. I just find it difficult to understand how it would take 25 robberies to realize he was with the wrong group. :p

Maybe in America, but not all of us were born and raised here. And it's not where he was sentenced.

Oh, I assumed he lived in the same country as you. Either way, it doesn't justify him calling me a racist.

#103 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

This might have something to do with why the British lose most wars.

Didn't mean to rep that, full site on mobile's a bitch...

#104 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Oh, I assumed he lived in the same country as you. Either way, it doesn't justify him calling me a racist.

Didn't call you a racist, I said that was a very racist thing to say. There is actually a very distinct difference between the two. You've explain your side and reasoning behind it, drop that portion of the conversation now since it's been resolved.

#105 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I couldn't make this up if I wanted to. What I'm saying I guess is, some of us make mistakes, some people are victims of circumstance, others have nothing else or know no better until it is too late :(

So do these reasons make you feel that gun ownership is something that should be promoted on a private level?

#106 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Blahblahblah

You do realise that the majority of those were battles right? Oh wait, you probably didn't. Silly goose.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to make do with the fact that we are the most envied police force in the world.

#107 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

Yes of course I do, I wouldn't have specified wars won if I didn't make that distinction.

#108 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

This might have something to do with why the British lose most wars.

This post was wrong and you were misinformed/arrogant enough to believe your own ignorance. Admit it.

#109 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

I've not said that my previous statement was correct, I've not said that to date in recorded history Britain has not won more wars than any other nation because they have (hand in hand with France actually), however I did state that they've done best in coalitions with other nations, going solo normally (historically speaking) does not bode well for Britain. Demanding I admit to ignorance when I've done research into this and provided the source I used is arrogant.

#110 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

however I did state that they've done best in coalitions with other nations, going solo normally (historically speaking) does not bode well for Britain.

Erm, the vast majority of major wars in history have involved several allies on both sides. I'm not sure where you're getting your information but from what I know Britain has won most of the wars it's entered into both in coalition and alone...

#111 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

I don't have a problem with people owning hunting rifles, or a handgun in their homes for self defense. Somehow I don't think the founding fathers would have thought that it's a good idea for anyone to own an automatic shotgun, or a weapon capable of firing 3600 rpm.

#112 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Okay well who would be more okay with Landowners being allowed to have unregistered firearms, I've seen this aspect of the argument made before.

Essentially, if a person is a landowner they should be permitted to own and use unregistered firearms. Whereas a renter would be forced to either register all of their firearms or they would not be allowed to own them at all.

#113 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

I don't have a problem with people owning hunting rifles, or a handgun in their homes for self defense. Somehow I don't think the founding fathers would have thought that it's a good idea for anyone to own an automatic shotgun, or a weapon capable of firing 3600 rpm.

The very least they deserve is RPGs right?

#114 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

So I have a question about the UK/other places that are strict on guns. Does the military or police in your countries in your area control pests? Or is that a farmer issue? (I'm assuming farmers can have guns, at least.) I don't mean like mice... I'm thinking more of animals that can't be humanely killed by trapping, like deer, wild pigs, coyotes, etc.

#115 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

So I have a question about the UK/other places that are strict on guns. Does the military or police in your countries in your area control pests? Or is that a farmer issue? (I'm assuming farmers can have guns, at least.) I don't mean like mice... I'm thinking more of animals that can't be humanely killed by trapping, like deer, wild pigs, coyotes, etc.

We don't really tend to have wild pigs and don't have any coyotes. In the case of deer that's usually dealt with by professional stalkers/gamekeepers employed by the land owners.

#116 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

We rather like deer in this country.

#117 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Particularly with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

#118 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yeah deer are sweet, at Prinknash Abbey wildlife park my little brother bonded with a deer. We lost him, looked for hours and found him sat in under a tree stroking this doe who looked like she was half asleep.

#119 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

I love that Codex seems to attract people who are educated in everything. Makes for a compelling read.

#120 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

I do too... in moderate amounts. Over here, they're kept to a reasonable level by hunting season. Without that, they would eat everything. They already eat everything.

We don't really tend to have wild pigs and don't have any coyotes. In the case of deer that's usually dealt with by professional stalkers/gamekeepers employed by the land owners.

OK, that makes more sense. What do they do with the meat?

Edited by Napiform, 16 May 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#121 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

What's the difference between professional stalkers/gamekeepers and hunters?

#122 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

What's the difference between professional stalkers/gamekeepers and hunters?

One does it largely to manage population levels, the other does it largely for sport.

OK, that makes more sense. What do they do with the meat?

Eat/sell it presumably. I'm not a deer hunting expert, I don't have a PhD unfortunately.

#123 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Alas I lack a PhD as well so I can't say for certain on the matter, though from what I've noticed from our local hunters they hunt the deer here mainly to control the population with a secondary reasoning being for food. There isn't a lot of hunting for sport in our local hunters though I'm sure elsewhere it is different.

Now please excuse me, I need to wait for my code to compile.

#124 Zaxero

Zaxero
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

I am personally believe only for law enforcement and military personel and maybe some security forces that guns should be allowed thats it. Well and hunting i suppose?

#125 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

I am personally believe only for law enforcement and military personel and maybe some security forces that guns should be allowed thats it. Well and hunting i suppose?

And then this train of thought goes on to include those who want to use guns for personal defense, landowners, and really everyone who already has guns... Funny how that turns out isn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users