..Every post "is below your viewing threshold. View it anyway?"
This is pretty entertaining actually.

#77 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

I agree :) however useless, getting rep is kinda nice. It's like an e-pat on the back (ok i'm laughing at myself too you guys shh

Also agree about waser's huge manhood rep count.

Awww, you're so cute trizzle. Tell you what, give yourself a shiny while you're at it. :p

Can we stop talking about Waser's large penis amount of reps please? I'm starting to feel kind of insecure about my own now. :/

Edited by Russell, 21 May 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#78 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hide posts below 4350 points

..Every post "is below your viewing threshold. View it anyway?"
This is pretty entertaining actually.

I'm trying to find where those numbers are set :( lol

Can we stop talking about Waser's large penis amount of reps please? I'm starting to feel kind of insecure about my own now. :/

It's okay... you never even had a chance... no one did. Can't blame yourself for something you couldn't control, eh?

#79 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

It's supposed to allow you to filter out useless posts automatically by people downvoting things they feel are useless or ignorant. We're trying to get the community to self-moderate.

Positive rep is just to make you feel good about yourself though :p.

I don't think that post filtering will be one of the side effects of enabling this feature. As much as members bitch about one another they very rarely go out of their way to ignore the stupid things that people say. In fact I believe it is more the opposite - they would rather see everything than filter things out without reading them personally. How many people actually use the ignore feature? And of those that do, and have active people on their lists, how many people don't expand their posts when they come across them anyway? This is conjecture of course but I bet I am right. While I love the idea of being able to mark a post as shit, and I hope that it will inspire better post quality overall, I don't think that people are going to filter out these shitposts preemptively.

#80 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

It's supposed to allow you to filter out useless posts automatically by people downvoting things they feel are useless or ignorant. We're trying to get the community to self-moderate.

Positive rep is just to make you feel good about yourself though :p.

Yes, but self-moderation won't work, because the overwhelming majority of people are idiots.
Just look at democratic government.

#81 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

The idea is to make the community self-regulating. I would think there is a reason someone is consistently getting -repped. They are most likely exhibiting a behavior that the community doesn't approve of. I would be hesitant to put the Neocodex staff in place to police the actions of everyone else that much :/.

Anyone who has spent time at the League of Legends community knows that self moderation is an impossible task. Around 50% of the time when they make an announcement, they have to manually boost the posts rep by thousands or it would be downvoted to the point where the topic was automatically closed.

For 2 months straight they had announcements where the first 20+ pages of posts were -repped.

People will negative rep for two reasons.

1)They don't like someone and want them negative repped
2)They want to troll.
3)Its a noob asking a question.

A big issue is when a noob asks a stupid question such as "Why doesn't Abrosia work" or "Where do I download the Score Sender". These posts will probably be negative repped into oblivion, which is obvious by the fact that there are multiple posts insulting the original poster and calling them stupid ect.

Sounds like it, "People who get butthurt deserve to get neg repped". I think you're right. If people get butt hurt I think they need protection from stuff like this. We shouldn't set them up for real life depression due to an online group of jerks.

From codexes past we have definitely learned that codex members are unforgiving and like to gang. Once someone gets on the wrong end of things they start to speak louder and louder to protect themselves all the while getting ganged on more and more. See Punks post above, I think that really gets codex in a nutshell. "People who get butt hurt deserve to get negged". We gotta learn from our past and at least the present. We don't have an environment that allows people who made mistakes in the past to get over it and move on.

Oh also why self regulate when you have an active staff now? Just wondering. With an active staff we can make even plus rep actually mean something.

Thank you for keeping to the same point that was made for the last two years when this was discussed among the staff. If my memory serves me, everyone was against it every time members proposed it. We all knew that it would be abused to the point that it would be removed, and so we always shot it down. I guess that with an active staff they feel as though they could properly moderate the negative rep being handed out.

As shadowlink64 has already pointed out, people are negative repping for no reason (And some of them are proud to announce that they are). I wonder were things will go from here.

#82 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for keeping to the same point that was made for the last two years when this was discussed among the staff. If my memory serves me, everyone was against it every time members proposed it. We all knew that it would be abused to the point that it would be removed, and so we always shot it down. I guess that with an active staff they feel as though they could properly moderate the negative rep being handed out.

As shadowlink64 has already pointed out, people are negative repping for no reason (And some of them are proud to announce that they are). I wonder were things will go from here.

I agree that it will be abused, however +reps are not exactly handed out fairly either. Some people can cough on a thread and get a +rep, whereas others find it hard to get one even with well thought-out and helpful responses. I think it's good that even though staff assumed it would not work out in the past, it has been instituted anyway so that reality can run its course.

I am sure once the new wears off, it will calm down and not be such a -rep frenzy.

#83 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

People will negative rep for two reasons.

1)They don't like someone and want them negative repped
2)They want to troll.
3)Its a noob asking a question.

I've highlighted the important bits for you Argue; do you see what I'm getting at with this? :p

Anyway, I have to tend to a certain post that needs -repping. :)

Edited by Russell, 21 May 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#84 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Personally, I'd have sent a pm about the two and 3 mixup :/

#85 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Personally, I'd have sent a pm about the two and 3 mixup :/

I'm fairly sure he would've thrown it back in my face about me being picky, then change it back anyway.
To be fair on his part, he is using 3s - which is outstanding for someone with his intellect.

Edited by Russell, 21 May 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#86 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

I've highlighted the important bits for you Argue; do you see what I'm getting at with this? :p

Anyway, I have to tend to a certain post that needs -repping. :)

Yeah. I had two points and then came up with a third but didn't bother to change it.

Third one is on the house!

#87 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yeah. I had two points and then came up with a third but didn't bother to change it.

Third one is on the house!

Awww, isn't that nice of you! :p

#88 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

I agree that it will be abused, however +reps are not exactly handed out fairly either. Some people can cough on a thread and get a +rep, whereas others find it hard to get one even with well thought-out and helpful responses. I think it's good that even though staff assumed it would not work out in the past, it has been instituted anyway so that reality can run its course.

I am sure once the new wears off, it will calm down and not be such a -rep frenzy.

There is nothing at all bad about giving out + reps though. They do not constitute any kind of negative feeling. A negative rep does impart those kinds of negative feelings, and having all of your posts -repped as a new member can easily cause them to not post anymore and go somewhere else. It can also cause negative feelings between other people (as rep given out is freely viewable).

You are right, it as been rolled out, and it has been abused, lets see where things go from here. Perhaps it will calm down, be moderated, or just be removed.

#89 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Haha this amuses me, yet I forsee a lot of facebook-esque, drama in the future.

I wish I weren't so busy so I could see it all unfold >:(

#90 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Haha this amuses me, yet I forsee a lot of facebook-esque, drama in the future.

I wish I weren't so busy so I could see it all unfold > :(

Drama on codex? Unheard of!

:o Wow Russell lost a ton of rep already. All this red around is scary.

#91 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

I guess we've learned something already, people don't like it when people are pedantic little bastards.

#92 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

who will be the first member with negative total rep, I wonder.

If that's even possible

#93 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

who will be the first member with negative total rep, I wonder.

If that's even possible

If it had been enabled a tiny bit sooner I would have put serious money on that Zaxero fella.

#94 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

If it had been enabled a tiny bit sooner I would have put serious money on that Zaxero fella.

He already has -4 rep on his profile view, if that's what you are talking about

Edited by Nonexistent, 21 May 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#95 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Oh really? There's your answer then Bog :p

#96 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Can the description for negative reputation on profiles say "Nobody likes you. Go away"?

#97 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

-6 now. Damn. Russell came down from 18 to 13 in a few hours.

I don't think you have anything to worry about trizz.

#98 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

There pretty much is no WE anymore iargue and the reason why people are digging for your old posts is, because they were shit 90% of the time and deserve a late -rep. We are just all so happy we can finally do that. That you've become a target really is your own fault.

#99 Rainie

Rainie
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

I can imagine this becoming a problem very very quickly.

^
But oh well~ nice ^__^ !
Posted Image

#100 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

But oh well~ nice ^__^ !

If that's you in your avatar, I would gladly let you shit on my face.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users