Quantcast

Photo

Why do people think that being a mother/wife is a job?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

If they do, they're part of the 47% and we just don't care about them.

Those fuckin 47%ers thinking they're entitled to shit like food, shelter and healthcare. So selfish.

#27 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Sorry this is a general chat thread talking about a general issue. If people disagree with me that's their prerogative. :)

What about when you are calling Mishelle stupid and being condescending towards her.
Pretty sure that could get you in trouble too..
Posted Image

#28 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

I made the point that they are also paid to be bred (i.e. they're sexual property). A wife is basically a man's guarantee that he will have children of his own.

Furthermore, child support is a complication of the institution of child-bearing and marriage that complicates the issue unnecessarily. It's basically our society's belief that both parents should be responsible for the child in one way or another. She isn't actually getting paid for a service she provides the man- she's getting paid only to take care of the kid.

In case you didn't know, fathers can die.

#29 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

In case you didn't know, fathers can die.

My dad is dead.

#30 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

My dad is dead.

See there ya go. Proof that fathers die.

#31 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Sorry this is a general chat thread talking about a general issue. If people disagree with me that's their prerogative. :)

And it's my prerogative to move it to the debate section where it belongs. :)

#32 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

My dad is dead.

SEE? D:

#33 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Just for the sake of "debate"

Convincing women there's merit in sitting at home playing DVD's for your kids is just our culture's way of maintaining the gender divide.

Not all stay-at-home mothers let the TV babysit their children while they sit on their ass and play WoW all day. Some of us actually have structured educational time, do crafts, take our kids out to experience cultural activities, and participate other various forms of enrichment activities with them to... you know... raise them. *gasp*

People just use this 'being a mom is da hardest job' rhetoric to alleviate the anxiety produced in women once they realize that they're dependent and parasitic creatures with no means of sustenance of their own that have devoted their lives to doing shit-all. Doing laundry and leeching off a man's paycheck isn't anything to be proud of. Just being real.

Hahaha "leeching"

Dependent, parasitic creatures? No means of sustenance on our own? I bring in just as much money staying at home as I did working outside the house. Some mothers (myself included) attend school and other things. Not all stay-at-home moms sit on their asses all day eating Twinkies and shopping on Amazon. Just because a mother stays in the home and raises her children herself rather than working to pay someone else to do it (child care is expensive), doesn't mean that that is all she does.

Also, while belittling the daily activities of a mother is always a barrel of laughs, I think until you've stayed home with kids for a week or so you (or anyone) can't really be an accurate judge of just how difficult it is (or isn't).

#34 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

>~15 year old boy making a topic about how women raise their children

Posted Image

#35 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I plan to be a stay at home dad starting in January. Considering the cost of aftercare and all, plus the summer care, it is fairly cost effective. Then I'll also have more time to play here.

#36 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

>~15 year old boy making a topic about how women raise their children

B-but, he has deep and analytic thoughts and ideas!

Spoiler

#37 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Spoiler

He is moderately skilled at upsetting people for what ever research purpose he is working towards. If the community here would cease acting like they were the last boatload of virgins fleeing Pompeii than likely he'd grow tired of it and leave.

#38 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Spoiler

Posted Image

Spoiler

Edited by Turnip, 03 October 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#39 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Posted Image

Spoiler

Yours is, too. That dude instantly makes me feel happy.

#40 Insanity

Insanity
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Well, when the time comes for you to have kids try staying at home with them. Until then you will never understand what it's like.

the thought of my kids being raised by a daycare instead of me is unsettling.

This is exactly why I'm quitting my job.

#41 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Yours is, too. That dude instantly makes me feel happy.

There's just something about that gif which is really nice, heheh!! ^^
*chuckles happily along with him~*

And yeah, aaaaaaa having someone else raise your kid for you just doesn't seem right! They would get to see the baby's firsts, not the parents!! And they might harm it or something, you never know D:

Edited by Turnip, 03 October 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#42 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

First. Lets dismiss your assumption that a job has to be paid for it. Go ahead, spend however long it takes you to look something up (I'm assuming its a while since you skipped that step before you started) There are multiple definitions of Job, such as "A responsibility or duty". When you create life, it is your responsibility to take care of it. As such, being a "mother/wife" is a job. Your entire thread has been completely debunked and there is nothing to say regarding this topic.

I will not even bother to go into your completely moronic and sexist views on relationships, or your concepts, (And I can assure you, that thinking someone is a sexist does not automatically make you a sexist, the worst that it does is make you misguided or incorrect).

Thanks for making another pointless thread.

Edited by iargue, 03 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#43 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

There's just something about that gif which is really nice, heheh!! ^^
*chuckles happily along with him~*

And yeah, aaaaaaa having someone else raise your kid for you just doesn't seem right! They would get to see the baby's firsts, not the parents!! And they might harm it or something, you never know D:

Turnip, I can not say they are easy decisions. For most professionals, you either decide to have the money to buy nice things (good college/braces) or you drastically cut back on what you have. There is also the problem that women that sit out two, six, twelves years for a child find themselves unhireable in their profession. For our particular situation, given my potential for a second heart attack and my beloved being forced to be the sole breadwinner, there was little else we could choose.

We did compromise somewhat by picking low stress/low demand jobs that allowed flexible hours and tolerance of taking leave. My beloved goes in early and I go end late so she was rarely in daycare or pre-K for more than six hours. Still, it is hard to let strangers have your child. I could type for an hour or so the trials and tribulations, including when they seemed to think we were poor just because of the car we drove and the clothing we put on a toddler (we are cheap people, except that child has so many toys)

#44 PinkRainbows

PinkRainbows
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

just go away already god.. ; o ;..

#45 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

just go away already god.. ; o ;..

You do realize that you're trying to get read of flies by spraying them with honey?
There is this ignore function you can use, and it really helps the enjoyment of the site (you can even put me on ignore)

P.S. Why the heck is Steven Colbert so upset at you? You seem like a nice enough person.

Edited by coltom, 03 October 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#46 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

The saddest thing is that he's bringing up fair points about the gender roles of females, and providing an interesting point of view, but then he's totally shitting on his own ideals by being condescending and comparing being a mother to being a prostitute. What does he expect women to do? Take their babies to work with them? Leave the kids at home with a stay-at-home father? What is the solution to the OPPRESSED WOMEN PROBLEM??

I'm content to let you all raise your kids and live your lives however you want. If that means you're dependent on the income of your spouse, so be it. I know that I plan to keep working if I have a child, and I can't take a crying, shitting baby into the pharmacy. So do I leave it with it's father, or with my mom? And if I leave my baby with my mom, am I still oppressing my prostitute mother?

#47 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

PunkerockbigMom. Those are very hard questions. I wish I could tell you it was easy. I can not. I wish I could tell you I had been a perfect husband. I have not. I wish I could tell you we shared equally in all the times we needed to take her to doctor, etc, etc. I can not. When she was really sick, she wanted mommy. I did part, but the dominant society expects husbands never to miss work. I am slightly corrupted by the dominant EuroAmerican Society.

Practically I can tell you that you find "friends" that can cover for you, other mothers that will be there sometimes, to get a child when you can't get there because bosses are idiots. I wish I could tell you it was easy. I don't lie, it aint.

I can tell you, they are worth it.

#48 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

To be fair, stay at home moms generally take on the roles of many different careers:
  • Nanny
  • Whore
  • Maid
  • Accountant
  • Assistant
  • Vessel for Bearing Offspring
  • Nurse
  • Veterinarian
  • Beer Buddy (Rare occurrence 1/8192 probability)

Now imagine paying different people to do all that... stay at home moms do it for free in exchange for not working.

#49 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

stay at home moms do it for free in exchange for not working.

What? No.

#50 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPg2oarG_c[/url]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users