Quantcast

Photo

Getting back into writing Neopets software. INCLUDES AUCTION SNIPER!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 Valorous

Valorous
  • 1003 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm getting back into writing Neopets software. I was originally from that other site from which mOBSCENE / sLAUGHTER came. I started working full time shortly before it collapsed and moved away from Neopets. I've since been laid off and now have some time to work on software for Neopets in C#.

I know not what the community is looking for in software so I've made this topic. I'd love suggestions as to what to write.

Edited by Valorous, 01 November 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#2 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

I'm getting back into writing Neopets software. I was originally from that other site from which mOBSCENE / sLAUGHTER came. I started working full time shortly before it collapsed and moved away from Neopets. I've since been laid off and now have some time to work on software for Neopets in C#.

I know not what the community is looking for in software so I've made this topic. I'd love suggestions as to what to write.

This site functions primarily on Python code. There isn't really much left to code for neo as far as I'm concerned. The main thing missing from here is an autotrainer. I made my own, but it is too unpolished to be released. That's probably the main thing you'll see requested. I recommend taking the time to also add in an auto-negg feeding feature to it as well. Oh, expect to be required to post full sources.

#3 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

As shrouded said we are mainly Python focused here. There's nothing really required or needed right now, but if your intuitive enough you might be able to come up with a few things. My suggestion would be to move to Python as that is where the focus is now (see my Neolib project).

#4 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

There's almost nothing left to do. The only things I can think of would be something to completely automate an account, or programs to complete Neoquest I/II with little to no user input. Anything else would probably just be a remake of things that already exist.

Edited by Neoquest, 21 October 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#5 Valorous

Valorous
  • 1003 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

There's almost nothing left to do. The only things I can think of would be something to completely automate an account, or programs to complete Neoquest I/II with little to no user input. Anything else would probably just be a remake of things that already exist.

Fully automating an account isn't a bad idea. An entire suite.

It's amusing that Python is being used. I'm not interested in getting into a language war but Python was extremely uncommon in the companies I have worked for.

#6 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

There's almost nothing left to do. The only things I can think of would be something to completely automate an account

I'm enjoying working on my automated account manager- but you're right, there's very little left to do. It would be nice if there was a way to have NC play an automated game at a certain time. This is what I'm doing at the moment- solving games like pyramids/scarab21/etc and running them on a schedule for extra NP. :) The fun part is deciding when to make more accounts or to automate more games- based on which is more profitable ;)

#7 mintpro

mintpro
  • 597 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

Kad Feeder please. :)

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

It's amusing that Python is being used. I'm not interested in getting into a language war but Python was extremely uncommon in the companies I have worked for.

It's pretty much the perfect language for what we do.

#9 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

As waser said it's pretty much the perfect language for this type of work. Obviously Python is not designed for the commercial world (especially because of the inherent lack of security), but for those not worried about putting a dollar in their pocket it's pretty much the best language out there in my opinion. The transition I had from perl to python to administrate my nix systems was revolutionizing to me :p

#10 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

NQ players are inherently very challenging to make beyond the standard automatic leveling. Kad Feeder/Auto trainer have been made before, but are needed still. I wish they'd come out with more content or alter stuff :x

#11 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

As waser said it's pretty much the perfect language for this type of work. Obviously Python is not designed for the commercial world (especially because of the inherent lack of security), but for those not worried about putting a dollar in their pocket it's pretty much the best language out there in my opinion. The transition I had from perl to python to administrate my nix systems was revolutionizing to me :p

As always, it depends on what you are trying to do :).

#12 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

As always, it depends on what you are trying to do :).

Really off topic here but how well do you think Python would work for remote admin... I've been considering coding up a little something for personal use the could be used to automate downloads/uploads/etc. among a group of my PCs via webserver.

#13 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Really off topic here but how well do you think Python would work for remote admin... I've been considering coding up a little something for personal use the could be used to automate downloads/uploads/etc. among a group of my PCs via webserver.

At that point, the strength of the language comes with how rich the API bindings are for whatever protocol library you are trying to use for remote admin. If you are doing stuff over ssh or something like that, you could try using expect (python has a pexpect or something that is just a binding over the C API). If you're trying to do VNC, I'm sure python has something for it too. The benefit of python really comes in that it is a very expressive language. You can do a lot with very little syntax. The tradeoff you make is that it will be a little bit slower since it is interpreted. An interpreter doesn't know the entire program until it reads it as it is being executed so it can't make as many optimizations to the machine instructions it runs like a compiler can. But if you're not concerned about speed, then go crazy :).

#14 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

At that point, the strength of the language comes with how rich the API bindings are for whatever protocol library you are trying to use for remote admin. If you are doing stuff over ssh or something like that, you could try using expect (python has a pexpect or something that is just a binding over the C API). If you're trying to do VNC, I'm sure python has something for it too. The benefit of python really comes in that it is a very expressive language. You can do a lot with very little syntax. The tradeoff you make is that it will be a little bit slower since it is interpreted. An interpreter doesn't know the entire program until it reads it as it is being executed so it can't make as many optimizations to the machine instructions it runs like a compiler can. But if you're not concerned about speed, then go crazy :).

Stability > Speed honestly. I'm not looking for that many functions. Mostly open website/download/upload/archive saved passwords. The last two are a lot more difficult to code than the first three.

#15 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Stability > Speed honestly. I'm not looking for that many functions. Mostly open website/download/upload/archive saved passwords. The last two are a lot more difficult to code than the first three.

Python excels over most other languages in terms of the amount of libraries it bolsters (internal or third-party) for net communication. If you're not concerned about speed (and were talking milliseconds at most), then I would recommend it for what you're attempting to do. Unfortunately Python isn't as straightforward with GUI development, so if you're scared of CLI's then you might want to stray away from Python. Python certainly has a lot of GUI options (tk, wxWindows, etc.), but as far as I am concerned there's no WYSIWYG tool comparable to the modernized ones offered by companies like Microsoft (Boa is about the closest I've seen). I'll step off my stool now :p

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Python excels over most other languages in terms of the amount of libraries it bolsters (internal or third-party) for net communication. If you're not concerned about speed (and were talking milliseconds at most), then I would recommend it for what you're attempting to do. Unfortunately Python isn't as straightforward with GUI development, so if you're scared of CLI's then you might want to stray away from Python. Python certainly has a lot of GUI options (tk, wxWindows, etc.), but as far as I am concerned there's no WYSIWYG tool comparable to the modernized ones offered by companies like Microsoft (Boa is about the closest I've seen). I'll step off my stool now :p

Yeah, GUI development is where Python really falls down. I'm sure there's a lot of people who would kill for a decent Python IDE with drag-and-drop GUI development similar to those that Microsoft has had since the early Visual Basics. :/

#17 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, GUI development is where Python really falls down. I'm sure there's a lot of people who would kill for a decent Python IDE with drag-and-drop GUI development similar to those that Microsoft has had since the early Visual Basics. :/

There was something like this from what I remember when I was looking to make a GUI. Unfortunately you had to download the program. If you google around I'm sure you could find something.

#18 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

It wouldn't be too hard to code that up actually...

#19 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

It wouldn't be too hard to code that up actually...

That sounds like a tedious project with great rewards. Early VB was great for noobs because it had a great GUI development system. Visual Studio is still pretty nice.

That said I don't want a GUI on the machine. I want it hidden in background so the user, typically family/friends/etc. is never bothered by it.

#20 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

That sounds like a tedious project with great rewards. Early VB was great for noobs because it had a great GUI development system. Visual Studio is still pretty nice.

That said I don't want a GUI on the machine. I want it hidden in background so the user, typically family/friends/etc. is never bothered by it.

I agree that GUI is not where python is strong - but you can develop python so that it can be plugged into a different language's GUI.

If you are planning to control it from an Application Web Server, then you don't want to get any kind of UI involved, except maybe some reporting to a database that can be queried by some web pages.

I was looking at using jboss to setup a C&C server for my home network, but I never got round to it - just ended up using VNC and a Remote Desktop app on my iphone

#21 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I agree that GUI is not where python is strong - but you can develop python so that it can be plugged into a different language's GUI.

If you are planning to control it from an Application Web Server, then you don't want to get any kind of UI involved, except maybe some reporting to a database that can be queried by some web pages.

I was looking at using jboss to setup a C&C server for my home network, but I never got round to it - just ended up using VNC and a Remote Desktop app on my iphone

Didn't you write the old codex auth? O___O"

#22 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Didn't you write the old codex auth? O___O"

Yes, he did along with many other parts of our infrastructure. Mumei also purchased a license for invision power board when neocodex couldn't afford it ourselves. Mumei is one of the major reasons for our success.

#23 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yes, he did along with many other parts of our infrastructure. Mumei also purchased a license for invision power board when neocodex couldn't afford it ourselves. Mumei is one of the major reasons for our success.

ALL HAIL MUMEI!!!!

#24 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Ah, thanks guys <blushes> - it's good to see that codex is still around and doing fun things

#25 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Ah, thanks guys <blushes> - it's good to see that codex is still around and doing fun things

HAIL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users